• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants #98 cover up at Heritage.
2 2

68 posts in this topic

I was never much of an X-Force fan. During Marvel's late 80s-early 90s renaissance, I was a huge McFarlane Spidey and Jim Lee X-Men guy. But I'll be damned if just about everyone else who went into my LCS wasn't obsessed with this book. I remember when this issue debuted -- there was a mad rush at Frank's Comics here in Miami to get a copy. So while this cover may not be high on my personal faves list, I can clearly understand its significance. Deadpool is absurdly popular; all of my friends' kids love him, and buy anything Wade Wilson related they can get their hands on. I highly doubt the actual sale price will come close to this, but as an artifact of early 90s comics, it has few peers.

I’m in the camp of ‘whatever’ for this cover. I understand the significance of the character. But I don’t consider the end of the original New Mutants series a high point. And the Deadpool qualities that make the movies such a success were more introduced in the books post Liefeld and even post Nicieza. (shrug) But I’m sure it’s a nice trophy for whomever owns it. 

Guess many of us, perhaps the more older fogies (like myself) don't give 2 hoots abt DP. I personally would rather have a stellar Ditko spidey or a killing joke page over this cover. And in terms of significance and/or popularity in the comic book universe, DP wouldn't even rate in the top 10. But in the movie universe, DP has been handled brilliantly and I think has made him more popular than ever with maybe even attracting non comic book fans. Definitely would crack the top 5 in terms of popularity. The significance of this cover has only increased and the timing to offer it for sale is spot on. 

On 8/7/2024 at 8:13 AM, Silver Surfer said:

The cover does nothing for me. I can barely get a pulse when I look at it.

I agree, but just like the last panel of Hulk 180, it has nothing to do with the aesthetic or artistic quality and everything about who appears in it and when. 

Whatever you may think of the art, or the significance of the cover -- it has a shelf life due to the use of markers that fade by Rob.  It may be that Tom Fish (we all know who owns it) is selling it now, not only because of the film's popularity, but also, he's unloading it before more fading occurs and its value diminishes.

On 8/6/2024 at 6:53 PM, Xatari said:

Different strokes for different folks.  It's one of my favorites.

Same here. I mean, a (legit) sale of this magnitude would propel comic/sequential art into an area that it's never been. The tide rising on this piece wouldn't necessarily lift all the 90's art in the harbor, but it would be a net gain for the hobby as a whole. 

I think the pricing is ambitious in the sense that they're pricing it forward assuming that Deadpool will be a household character 30 years from now, which I'm not sure is going to be the case. Comparing the character qualities of Deadpool to, say, Spider-man, Batman or Supes doesn't measure up in the longevity category. 

On 8/7/2024 at 6:34 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Whatever you may think of the art, or the significance of the cover -- it has a shelf life due to the use of markers that fade by Rob.  It may be that Tom Fish (we all know who owns it) is selling it now, not only because of the film's popularity, but also, he's unloading it before more fading occurs and its value diminishes.

I know that now, and that's pretty cool. Found this picture of him showing off a Thundercats cover, while standing in front of two Gen 13 grail covers...:whatthe:

Fish-Thundercats.jpg

On 8/7/2024 at 10:28 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Same here. I mean, a (legit) sale of this magnitude would propel comic/sequential art into an area that it's never been. The tide rising on this piece wouldn't necessarily lift all the 90's art in the harbor, but it would be a net gain for the hobby as a whole. 

I think the pricing is ambitious in the sense that they're pricing it forward assuming that Deadpool will be a household character 30 years from now, which I'm not sure is going to be the case. Comparing the character qualities of Deadpool to, say, Spider-man, Batman or Supes doesn't measure up in the longevity category. 

He’s an amalgam of Deathstroke and Daffy Duck. As Mencken said, no one ever went broke underestimating the intellect of the American public.

On 8/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I know that now, and that's pretty cool. Found this picture of him showing off a Thundercats cover, while standing in front of two Gen 13 grail covers...:whatthe:

Fish-Thundercats.jpg

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8/7/2024 at 2:41 AM, tth2 said:

I agree, but just like the last panel of Hulk 180, it has nothing to do with the aesthetic or artistic quality and everything about who appears in it and when. 

Funny you mention that issue because this cover makes me long for some Herb Hulk. :bigsmile:

On 8/7/2024 at 11:02 AM, Pete Marino said:

As a teen of the 90's, I'll just say that among me and my friends, New Mutants / X-Force was cooler than McSpidey and Lee X-Men.  And NM87, 98 and 100 were all books we went nuts for.  XF1 was an event like no other in comics. 

I would just say we all have our "ages" of comic collecting and I get if this isn't your cup of tea. If it's not your thing that's cool, but don't believe there's not a huge amount of nostalgia for this run of comics, warts and all.

Yeah that's fair.   Not my era - I was the kid that didn't like the new direction and preferred the old stuff, but it caught on like crazy and that's a fact.  

Anyways, can't blame Tom for trying.   If he can get 7.5m then good for him.    

On 8/7/2024 at 9:02 AM, Pete Marino said:

As a teen of the 90's, I'll just say that among me and my friends, New Mutants / X-Force was cooler than McSpidey and Lee X-Men.  And NM87, 98 and 100 were all books we went nuts for.  XF1 was an event like no other in comics. 

I was 18 when XF1 came out, and within a year or two of that, my 20-something buddies were all about Jim Lee/Whilce's X-Men, but Cable and XF was also in that mix. The whole hobby exploded at that time with the perfect storm of seldom-tried stories, art, gimmicks and what-have-you.

Collectible trading cards in magazines? Poly-bagged comic books? Bad girl covers? Insanely action-packed, detailed art? Digital coloring? Anti-heroes with big guns and pouches? Monthly valuations on hot books? Holograms and foil covers? Trading cards with randomly inserted chases? VARIANT COVERS?!? It was absolutely insane, and while it's near-universally panned now for nearly destroying the industry - it was a wonderful explosion of popularity and uniqueness to be part of that, yes, caused a major problem in the industry, but also moved the entire hobby and collectibles forward. 

If that cover sells, it's going to be to someone who was right-smack dab in the middle of all that when they were young, and has the income to forego the potential investment return versus the value of their own nostalgia.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/7/2024 at 11:44 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I was 18 when XF1 came out, and within a year or two of that, my 20-something buddies were all about Jim Lee/Whilce's X-Men, but Cable and XF was also in that mix. The whole hobby exploded at that time with the perfect storm of seldom-tried stories, art, gimmicks and what-have-you.

Collectible trading cards in magazines? Poly-bagged comic books? Bad girl covers? Insanely action-packed, detailed art? Digital coloring? Anti-heroes with big guns and pouches? Monthly valuations on hot books? Holograms and foil covers? Trading cards with randomly inserted chases? VARIANT COVERS?!? It was absolutely insane, and while it's near-universally panned now for nearly destroying the industry - it was a wonderful explosion of popularity and uniqueness to be part of that, yes, caused a major problem in the industry, but also moved the entire hobby and collectibles forward. 

If that cover sells, it's going to be to someone who was right-smack dab in the middle of all that when they were young, and has the income to forego the potential investment return versus the value of their own nostalgia.

Not so sure I agree with that!   It may have 'moved things forward' in the short term but it decimated the hobby in the medium term.   

Agreed -  if it sells it will be to someone who remembers that time.