• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants #98 cover up at Heritage.
2 2

68 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2024 at 4:02 AM, Grendel72 said:

Guess many of us, perhaps the more older fogies (like myself) don't give 2 hoots abt DP. I personally would rather have a stellar Ditko spidey or a killing joke page over this cover. And in terms of significance and/or popularity in the comic book universe, DP wouldn't even rate in the top 10. But in the movie universe, DP has been handled brilliantly and I think has made him more popular than ever with maybe even attracting non comic book fans. Definitely would crack the top 5 in terms of popularity. The significance of this cover has only increased and the timing to offer it for sale is spot on. 

well said, and accurate I believe 

On 8/7/2024 at 7:33 AM, Readcomix said:

He’s an amalgam of Deathstroke and Daffy Duck. As Mencken said, no one ever went broke underestimating the intellect of the American public.

I think I have only seen part of the first Deadpool movie on an overflight overseas flight (so basically drugged up) and all I remember was how crude and irreverent it seemed. I suppose that's in now, but does that = staying power?? I really don't know. Maybe the comic is different but it struck me as something I wouldnt bring little kids to see.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:34 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Whatever you may think of the art, or the significance of the cover -- it has a shelf life due to the use of markers that fade by Rob.  It may be that Tom Fish (we all know who owns it) is selling it now, not only because of the film's popularity, but also, he's unloading it before more fading occurs and its value diminishes.

hm  :popcorn:

Does it really have to sell to be updated to sold?

Then in a year or so roll it out as an auction and watch the bidding go up to 4+ mill by wealthy folks perceiving they're getting a great deal. Perhaps that is the actual plan all along???

On 8/7/2024 at 10:10 AM, Bronty said:

Not so sure I agree with that!   It may have 'moved things forward' in the short term but it decimated the hobby in the medium term.   

Agreed -  if it sells it will be to someone who remembers that time.   

The greed got the better of everyone for sure, all the way from Wizard to the publishers. But, as consumers, we ended up with a larger universe of characters and a new group of industry leaders to keep the genre going (some good, lots not-so-good on both accounts), and even though it hammered local comic shops, it also gave them an opportunity to expand into a wider array of products to attract more customers. I can't speak for everyone, but in my area the only place to buy MTG was at comic shops back then (I hilariously opted to focus on the Star Wars and Star Trek card games while the other two shops went for MTG). The 90's Nerd Explosion increased popularity for many things we still engage with today (action figures, comic video games, etc) - even if the collector wasn't a comic geek and only collected Star Wars POTF figures, it did make our society a lot more acceptant of the overall hobby.

Ultimately, the industry crushed everyone under it's misguided philosophy of earning money today but forgetting they had to produce something tomorrow. I think it was bound to happen, it just all happened within one decade.

On 8/7/2024 at 1:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The greed got the better of everyone for sure, all the way from Wizard to the publishers. But, as consumers, we ended up with a larger universe of characters and a new group of industry leaders to keep the genre going (some good, lots not-so-good on both accounts), and even though it hammered local comic shops, it also gave them an opportunity to expand into a wider array of products to attract more customers. I can't speak for everyone, but in my area the only place to buy MTG was at comic shops back then (I hilariously opted to focus on the Star Wars and Star Trek card games while the other two shops went for MTG). The 90's Nerd Explosion increased popularity for many things we still engage with today (action figures, comic video games, etc) - even if the collector wasn't a comic geek and only collected Star Wars POTF figures, it did make our society a lot more acceptant of the overall hobby.

Ultimately, the industry crushed everyone under it's misguided philosophy of earning money today but forgetting they had to produce something tomorrow. I think it was bound to happen, it just all happened within one decade.

I mean, that's a pretty zen approach, and I won't argue with it.

However, looking strictly at the comic hobby, it was a giant dump of terrible stories that bankrupted the hobby both financially and creatively.      (shrug)

On 8/7/2024 at 7:34 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Whatever you may think of the art, or the significance of the cover -- it has a shelf life due to the use of markers that fade by Rob.  It may be that Tom Fish (we all know who owns it) is selling it now, not only because of the film's popularity, but also, he's unloading it before more fading occurs and its value diminishes.

I've never owned nor will I ever own anything this significant or valuable, but I *did* sell one of the few inked commissions of Punisher by Gil Kane for this exact reason...the fading inks.  The posted pic used for when I purchased it didn't show how badly it had begun to fade, and it only faded faster as I had it for 2-ish years, and NOT in the sunlight.  I considered commissioning Bill S. to re-ink it, but his list is so long, it would have faded to nothing by then.  I sold it for what I had in it and moved on.  A lot of that era of art (80s-90s) seems to be suffering from this issue, increasingly so as time goes on :/

On 8/7/2024 at 12:41 PM, BigMookie said:

I've never owned nor will I ever own anything this significant or valuable, but I *did* sell one of the few inked commissions of Punisher by Gil Kane for this exact reason...the fading inks.  The posted pic used for when I purchased it didn't show how badly it had begun to fade, and it only faded faster as I had it for 2-ish years, and NOT in the sunlight.  I considered commissioning Bill S. to re-ink it, but his list is so long, it would have faded to nothing by then.  I sold it for what I had in it and moved on.  A lot of that era of art (80s-90s) seems to be suffering from this issue, increasingly so as time goes on :/

Its an interesting question across collecting fields. To me something like this that is simply a disaster waiting to happen really has no value beyond what I could immediately sell it for. I would never be able to keep it and enjoy it.

Its like the few remaining clear bubble POTF vintage Star Wars carded figures. Its crazy that anyone would pay a premium for these given 99% of those figrues have yellowed bubbles and there's a 99% chance yours will too. For those that collect plastic-related collectibles you know what I mean. The problem child list of specific figures has REALLY started to expand in the last 10 years or so. Figures that were safe in the 90s and early 00s are now starting to manifest consistent condition deterioration (figure frosting, plastic capes darkening, the famous o ring issue with GI Joe figures from the 80s). 

Condition also creates something of a value binary. Pieces with fading are just a huge turnoff to me and one of a kind or not I just have no interest in the piece (recent EQ cover being a good example). So the value is either $xxxxxx.xx or 0.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:32 PM, cstojano said:

Its like the few remaining clear bubble POTF vintage Star Wars carded figures. Its crazy that anyone would pay a premium for these given 99% of those figrues have yellowed bubbles and there's a 99% chance yours will too. For those that collect plastic-related collectibles you know what I mean. The problem child list of specific figures has REALLY started to expand in the last 10 years or so. Figures that were safe in the 90s and early 00s are now starting to manifest consistent condition deterioration (figure frosting, plastic capes darkening, the famous o ring issue with GI Joe figures from the 80s). 

This is specifically why I sold off all of my high grade carded star wars figures. I kept mid grade and display figures and boxed toys from various lines. But anything with a bubble that was premium grade went out the door.  To me, it was like trying to collect sand castles with high tide on the way. No thanks. 

On 8/8/2024 at 12:53 AM, cstojano said:

I think I have only seen part of the first Deadpool movie on an overflight overseas flight (so basically drugged up) and all I remember was how crude and irreverent it seemed. I suppose that's in now, but does that = staying power??

This is the third DP movie, so I think that kind of answers your question.

On 8/6/2024 at 5:53 PM, Xatari said:

Different strokes for different folks.  It's one of my favorites.

Maybe an investor group? 50 investors @ $150,000 each. Would anyone  here be happy with a 1/50 share? 😆 

There are equity funds that could put it together, but I am not sure they would see the required rate of return they typically need.  Tough to say, but I love that it has the OA and comic communities talking about it.

On 8/7/2024 at 5:34 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Just curious When did he get it the cover ? I have heard rob say it’s in his safe. 

On 8/8/2024 at 6:23 PM, grapeape said:

Maybe an investor group? 50 investors @ $150,000 each. Would anyone  here be happy with a 1/50 share? 😆 

People have been trying this with various collectibles for years and years. Fractional plays are only as good as their deep down details. Where's it held? How's it stored? Who makes the decision on hold or sell? Who's responsible for interim associated costs of acquisition, bailment, deaccession, transport/logistics etc? 
A lot of the attempts I've looked at are big on fundraising and short on details. 

And, really, get five collectors in a room and get them to agree on everything as it comes to a buying, holding and selling piece.....then attempt it with 50. Yeah....no. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2024 at 8:48 AM, comix4fun said:

People have been trying this with various collectibles for years and years. Fractional plays are only as good as their deep down details. Where's it held? How's it stored? Who makes the decision on hold or sell? Who's responsible for interim associated costs of acquisition, bailment, deaccession, transport/logistics etc? 
A lot of the attempts I've looked at are big on fundraising and short on details. 

And, really, get five collectors in a room and get them to agree on everything as it comes to a buying, holding and selling piece.....then attempt it with 50. Yeah....no. 

Plus, it's only an attractive prospect (if at all) to people who only view the thing as an investment, and don't care about the object d'art. It's hard to imagine a group of comic art collectors doing this (they'd inevitably fight over where to store it, viewing rights, etc), but a bunch of hedge fund guys who think comics are for nerds, might not care if it's stored in a safe deposit bank vault somewhere.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 8/9/2024 at 5:48 AM, comix4fun said:

Ive had conversations with just one other collector about splitting pieces and can never make it work in my brain. So we each pay 50k for this 100k item, then what?

On 8/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, cstojano said:

Ive had conversations with just one other collector about splitting pieces and can never make it work in my brain. So we each pay 50k for this 100k item, then what?

One wants to keep it forever, One want to flip it in a year...or BOTH want to hang it on their wall, or in their CAF gallery. lol 

On 8/7/2024 at 1:09 PM, MAR1979 said:

Does it really have to sell to be updated to sold?

Then in a year or so roll it out as an auction and watch the bidding go up to 4+ mill by wealthy folks perceiving they're getting a great deal. Perhaps that is the actual plan all along???

Are you saying that Heritage would ruin their worldwide reputation for a few mil?

On 8/9/2024 at 1:54 PM, ygogolak said:

Are you saying that Heritage would ruin their worldwide reputation for a few mil?

In Texas seemingly anything goes for an action house. Also read up on Halperin.

BTW even houses such as Southbys are not above board.

Oh if your comment was sarcasm then huge kudos

Edited by MAR1979