• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Declares the 'Collection of Ed Savitt Comics' a Major Collection Provenance
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I remember seeing him at Dragon-con years ago and i was browsing his bins and my wife who has no interest in comics) was standing next to me and he talked to her about a Crisis on Infinite Earth set she picked up to look at. Talked to her for 10 mins about it. 

On 8/14/2024 at 6:18 PM, Dave2739 said:

A wonderful collection assembled by a miserable human being. I will not be participating.

For the wrestling fans out there, if you remember DX's catchphrase from the attitude era, that is my response to Crazy Ed and his collection. If I ever buy one of these books after initial sale, as I refuse to buy them from him, I'll break it out just to get rid of the provenance. 

On 8/14/2024 at 9:22 PM, LordRahl said:

For the wrestling fans out there, if you remember DX's catchphrase from the attitude era, that is my response to Crazy Ed and his collection. If I ever buy one of these books after initial sale, as I refuse to buy them from him, I'll break it out just to get rid of the provenance. 

Couldn't agree more. "Suck it" indeed.

With CGC recognized collections and Pedigree's, I always wondered why a list of books was never publicly available.

I recently came across a Thrilling #60 that was CGC labeled as being from the Aurora pedigree that is very questionable. A list of books would have solved this.

On 8/14/2024 at 9:36 PM, DougC said:

With CGC recognized collections and Pedigree's, I always wondered why a list of books was never publicly available.

I recently came across a Thrilling #60 that was CGC labeled as being from the Aurora pedigree that is very questionable. A list of books would have solved this.

Very few pedigrees have a comprehensive list. 

The Auroras came out in batches at first, and Dennis didn't document them.

The Allentown list is very small and accurate, but IIRC I've seen 1 or 2 books that weren't on the list.

The Mile High list is huge and missing quite a bit. 

The Larson list is available, but only 90-95% accurate. 

So on and so forth. 

The Billy Wright, Promise, and any others that were brought to market by an auction house should theoretically have an accurate accounting.  But the Rocky Mountains didn't get a pedigree at first, so there are issues with even those. 

On 8/15/2024 at 10:17 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I don't understand the Ed hate. I first met Ed over 20 years ago, and think of him as a friend in the hobby. He's definitely a wacky character, but he's a nice guy.

I've got a Crazy Ed story. It was at Tampa Bay Comic Con, at one of the shows in 2011 at the DoubleTree Hotel (which has since been demolished). I co-owned and produced the convention back then. Ed was a dealer at the show, but for some reason didn't have a hotel room at the time. I don't remember why he was unable to get a room, but for whatever reason he was roomless.

Ed was in desperate need of a shower, and asked if he could use the bathroom in my room. At the time, our company was very small and we didn't have money for everyone to get their own room, so there were multiple people in this room. I seem to recall it was me, MCMiles, lookwhoitis, and two others all sharing this one king-bed hotel room. Crazy Ed comes in and takes a nice steamy shower. Ed opens the bathroom door and through the mist in the reflection of the closet mirror I'm greeted with a full-page splash, cameo appearance of Crazy Ed's original owner man-thing. True story.

That cheapskate tried getting free room and board with me numerous times as well. And this story is gross, but I'm glad that you're amused. 

Edited by Dave2739

my only interaction with Ed was in 2007 at my first heroes con. I had just recently gotten back into collecting and ran into him. He was super aggressive while i looked at his booth. He noticed i glanced  at an X Men 1 and i told him it was a book i couldnt afford so no need to even take it down. He insisted over and over i hold it and then started his sales pitch. I repeated over and over i wasnt interested but he just wouldnt stop pushing it. As i walked away he even came out from behind his booth to keep going . Was just a ridiculous experience and rubbed me the wrong way.

On 8/17/2024 at 7:45 PM, MatterEaterLad said:
On 8/15/2024 at 11:08 AM, buttock said:

Very few pedigrees have a comprehensive list. 

Why is that? 

Wouldn't CGC have a database with all of the books graded and labeled under a certain pedigree?

CGC may have not graded all copies of a Pedigree.