• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic-Link Featured Auction 8/15-9/5
1 1

117 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2024 at 6:57 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Probably not the optimal time to sell with everyone out in the sun and/or on holidays?

I guess it depends on the genre. There is a lot of 90's representation in this auction, but only 4 pages of lots.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:57 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Probably not the optimal time to sell with everyone out in the sun and/or on holidays?

Yep. Good time to buy. This one has the feeling of falling through the cracks. 

On 8/15/2024 at 7:22 PM, Matches_Malone said:

I honestly do not recall a C-link featured auction offering such very little material as this one.  Don't get me wrong; There is some good stuff there.   But ...is that it???   Is Heritage really taking everything?

ComicLInk alternates large and small auctions. This is a small one.

You are probably correct, but it also depends on the material. The weekly HA auction had a bunch of Archie Adventure Series pages (Fly, Mighty Crusaders) which went cheaply yesterday. Not brilliant, but not bad for the era and style.

On 8/16/2024 at 11:53 AM, Rick2you2 said:

You are probably correct, but it also depends on the material. The weekly HA auction had a bunch of Archie Adventure Series pages (Fly, Mighty Crusaders) which went cheaply yesterday. Not brilliant, but not bad for the era and style.

Also, the Heritage Signature Auction starts next week on August 23; the sun and/or holidays seem not to apply to the level of material they are offering. 

note the corner box + Marvel banner. Clearly an enlarged b/w photocopy made from the comic book on standard paper.  The "Iron Man" Logo looks not right as well but difficult for me to tell from the pics.

The "By Demon Possessed" blurb appears to be original.

Garbage may have been too strong a word, "non authentic" might have been a better choice

I don't recall this cover coming up for sale in at least the last 10 years.

Edited by MAR1979

The IM Cover is a great piece. I so wish it had come up for sale before pandemic when the prices were such I'd would have had a solid chance at it :)

Hmmm - - what will it hammer at?
I'm thinking 60 Large and will not be surprised if it tests the 70 mark .  There are several Bronze IM collectors with solid coin out there and this is exactly the type of Cover that should have them salivating - - I know I am!  Based on the unsolicited offers I've received for some of my IM pieces I think my guesses are in the neighborhood, maybe even a bit low?

This will be a genuinely fun auction to watch :popcorn:

P.S. Yeps, some of the stats are definitely not real.

Edited by All-Star Squadman

On 8/17/2024 at 10:52 AM, All-Star Squadman said:

The IM Cover is a great piece. I so wish it had come up for sale before pandemic when the prices were such I'd would have had a solid chance at it :)

Hmmm - - what will it hammer at?
I'm thinking 60 Large and will not be surprised if it tests the 70 mark .  There are several Bronze IM collectors with solid coin out there and this is exactly the type of Cover that should have them salivating - - I know I am!  Based on the unsolicited offers I've received for some of my IM pieces I think my guesses are in the neighborhood, maybe even a bit low?

This will be a genuinely fun auction to watch :popcorn:

P.S. Yeps, some of the stats are definitely not real.

To be candid, I don’t like it. The extensive use of the border “squiggles” detracts from the central image. Adding the spots on the dragon-creature makes it worse. There should have been, IMO, more of a contrast between light and dark to make the central image stand out. I suspect Layton knew he may have overdone it due to the black background behind IM.

On 8/18/2024 at 7:33 AM, Rick2you2 said:

To be candid, I don’t like it. The extensive use of the border “squiggles” detracts from the central image. Adding the spots on the dragon-creature makes it worse. There should have been, IMO, more of a contrast between light and dark to make the central image stand out. I suspect Layton knew he may have overdone it due to the black background behind IM.

I agree with the criticisms, but it is from the right part of the run.    I'll say 50 something.

On 8/18/2024 at 7:33 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Buzzkill :(

Yeah OK a tad busy, still IMO it created the intended illusion effect on the final product, which was THE goal.

latest?cb=20171225052322

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/18/2024 at 4:16 PM, MAR1979 said:

Buzzkill :(

well, the Iron Man image is spot on.   Exactly the sort of thing you want on a cover from exactly the vintage you want.

The rest of it could be a B'wana Beast cover.

It doesn't matter.    Someone will be proud to own it and rightly so.