• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anybody else having problems with Mutant Beaver Comics?
4 4

43 posts in this topic

Hi CGC Chat Boards members - I wonder if any of you are in a similar pickle with Mutant Beaver Comics as I. 

I’ve been a customer of Mutant Beaver Comics for a few years now. Late last year, they ran a sale for a 1/150 Batman #1 Gold/White foil variant CGC 9.8. I was able to purchase one the minute it went on sale.

Months passed and this plus three or four other orders went unfulfilled. I started asking them for shipment dates and they’d lie and say something like, “We expect those to ship by the end of January,” and, “Those will ship at the end of May.” I asked them in May if they were going bankrupt like Frankie’s Comics did and they told me, “No…and in fact we’re busier than ever.” (I had to at least ask, even though they probably would and did lie about it). Around June they started to fulfill my oldest orders and I’d hoped they’d soon be sending the Batman #1, which had been on sale from their U.S. partner at the same time, and was reselling for anywhere between $400-$1000. Additionally, two raw comics they sent me were damaged and I inquired about replacements, which they’d provided in the past. 

All of a sudden in July, they said they can’t fulfill my order and they’ll issue a refund by the end of July. They also said that because ShopPay times out past orders, they can’t issue a refund through ShopPay and will issue it via PayPal if I give them my email associated with PayPal (easy - it’s the one we’ve been using - me to inquire about my comics and refund and Mutant Beaver to lie to me and say, “It’s coming.”) To make it really easy, I invoiced them - just pay it and we’re done with this issue. It’s now mid-August and I’ve received no refund from them. Their web site hasn’t been updated in a while and I know that if one sends in a bunch of comics to get slabbed to turn them around and sell them, it can be months/years before that happens, IF it sells at all. That’s a lot of money sitting in slab boxes, waiting to be sold. They also started selling MB t-shirts. Same risk - invest in a huge lot of t-shirts and hope they’re sold. 

There are likely some comic shops that are great about the “we’ve got exclusive variants” business who aren’t treading water financially. But Frankie’s went bankrupt (I lost money) and now Mutant Beaver is behaving in the same exact way - lots of “It’s on its way and should be shipped soon,” and, “It’s packed up and ready to ship Friday.”

Anybody else having problems like these with Mutant Beaver? 

Edited by woznia17

I don't know nothing about it, but many companies now have many possible contact on social media. Linkedin, facebook, twitter, insta, maybe ebay, email, phone, etc.

I might consider calling them them up on a public social media site.

Also might consider contacting cgc and asking about it.  or at least reporting it.

I haven't had the problem you mention. A few years ago I did pre-buy a couple of books I really wanted from MB that were promised to be 9.8s. Months went by, and when I contacted them nothing was sent. I kept contacting them and eventually they admitted they lost my original order, apologized, and then sent me signed copies of those books to make up for the hassle. I wasn't thrilled with the issues and having to hassle them to get my stuff, but they went above and beyond to make it right for me and I was very happy in the end.  

I had almost the exact same issue as you a couple years ago. I just kept emailing and eventually they came through. I wouldn’t be shocked if you have to settle for in store credit. 

Are they related to Unknown Comics? 

I am having exactly the same issue. Ordered a 9.8 X-men 5 from la mole variant and was told to expect it 3-6 months after the release. That came and went and I was told they should be shipping at the end of the next month. That came and went and just repeated until it was a year later and then was told they would not be able to fulfil my order and they would give me a refund but would have to be back through PayPal. I was told to expect the refund at … you guessed it the end of “next month”. That time came and went and I asked again and was told the end of next month.   Now they just won’t respond to my emails at all.

Yes I’m having major issues with an order I placed back in July 2023. I’ve been chasing them for months. When they do eventually reply they claimed they’ve sold them and offered a refund.
They asked for my PayPal info and promised a refund back in May, then claimed there was an issue and it would be June, then July and then second week in August which came and went. 

Oh brother. You will never get the books you ordered. You might not get your money back either. 

I am "patiently" waiting for my full refund from them as in a direct email to me, that refunds are being issued during the month of August (2024). I already know this won't happen. This "company" is not getting any new orders from diamond or equivalent, nor are they getting any more exclusives. For a fact, they screwed me over on ASM Jusko variant #1 signed purple/blue background for over a year and ONLY after shaming them on social media and a barrage of emails did I get a response of what everyone else is saying.

My "in store credit or gift card" that was issued went directly to purchase in stock megacon ASM Tao drip  white background and ASM 678 foil with a guarantee to ship by March (2024).   Obviously here we are in August and no books and no refund.   I have enough evidence on this company to lay serious charges on them and their owner   to the Charlottetown Police Dept  P.E.I. CANADA  ..........even though he and his fake facebook and other accounts like reddit and eventually this thread will dispute this and/or try to discredit me. Regardless, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO FUND HIS VACATIONS ALL OVER THE PLACE (social media).  Here is a small sample which I'm sure is all too familiar in dealing with this "company"......

..oh, here is the address of MBC headquarters (public record)  25 Hunter Lane Charlottetown PE C1A 9K9 Canada

(which is an 8 minute drive from the police station lmao )

From mutantbeavercomics@gmail.com on 2024-08-13 20:42

Refunds have begun and will continue for the month of August.

Thank you for your patience.

Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2024 9:30 PM
To: Mutant Beaver Comics <mutantbeavercomics@gmail.com>
 awaiting full refund due: aug 9 2024

Haven't received my full refund yet.

Please kindly send the refund you

stated  would  be issued by you on Friday August 9, 2024

via paypal.

Thank you

On 2024-08-06 16:49, Mutant Beaver Comics wrote:

A full refund will be issued this Friday via PayPal.

Do we have your paypal email on file?

MBC

On 8/26/2024 at 2:35 PM, MAY1979 said:

Perhaps harsh on my part but based on what I see here in the Comics General Section, thief sellers are closer to the norm than the exception

It might be harsh, but boy - it sure feels that way anymore. 

I guess businesses are good until they aren't.  I recall ordering from them in the past (2018 and 2021) and all transactions went well.  Though there was a delay on the 2021 order and it did arrive. Back in 2018 they even follow up with me, unsolicited, to make sure an order arrived when it showed as shipped but their system said the order# was "unfulfilled". 

I considered ordering some of their exclusives again but just didn't want to pay the inflated exclusive pricing when those exclusives were dropping in price and highly available 6-8 months down the road.  Maybe that's what befell them.  A declining market for these variants.  ASM collectors like me have had enough.  5 variants per issue every issue except for every 3rd issue when they release 10 variants is way too much to pay "exclusive" prices.

On 8/26/2024 at 1:32 PM, peter the barber said:

This "company" is not getting any new orders from diamond or equivalent, nor are they getting any more exclusives.

Is this for real?  Were they cutoff from the distributors due to non-payment?   If they've been cut off from the distributors (due to non-payment or other issues) this does not bode well for them being able to continue normal business operations with comics.  Hopefully they can still turn a profit on other revenue streams in order to issue refunds.  Otherwise, these guys are going under.

Justafan, yes it is real. On first hand accounts from 2 LCS owners who stopped doing business with MBC. You can see for yourself on their web page,the last exclusive was the old superman shield foil:  as per description first thing on their page  ***Red Hot!!*** NYCC 2023 SUPERMAN ANNUAL #1 GOLDEN AGE LOGO BLUE FOIL NYCC VIRGIN EXCLUSIVE! (Limited to ONLY 600 with COA) ~~ IN STOCK & READY TO SHIP!~~    ...then Clayton Crain revolver, TMNT Last ronin lost years negative space issues 1-4, and then "Happy Victoria Day" which in Canada is the May 24th long weekend..... are what's featured as you first access the page!!!!!

Now we've all dealt with other comic shops globally, if your pushing an exclusive that is months old, something is rotten in Denmark.....as I'm writing this, I just got a notification from Comics Elite about  SHIKARII LADY DEATH NIGHTMARE SYMPHONY #1 TOMORROW!!  . so clearly these guys are just about done.    If you have to as a business make a post saying " hey we're still in business" then something is wrong.  If your business is getting fried on this thread and unrelated people are sharing the same stories, and the same thing is  being said on a reddit thread, if the BBB is getting ghosted by them because customers are complaining there as well  then something is wrong with this company and its owner even though he denies being the owner. I agree since 2021 this company's customer service has been sinking faster than the Titanic, but it is not because of a push back from variants.  There are issues here of which I cannot speak of here on this thread.   However, I recently emailed them demanding my refund by this Friday and stating please do not use the excuse that my paypal is not working because it's working  just fine.    

I don't know about you all in the USA but I thought mail fraud is a serious offence.....and if this "company" is ghosting you, not refunding you, then you should report them to the police or fraud squad.

Btw.....if you complain to them on social media, they will block you too, so expect that as well.

On 8/28/2024 at 12:09 PM, justafan said:

Hopefully they can still turn a profit on other revenue streams in order to issue refunds.  Otherwise, these guys are going under.

Yea.....cheat and swindle other unsuspecting customers into paying for books that they will never receive.......almost sounds like a ponzi or pyramid scheme.

Below is their recent post on fb.

Mutant Beaver Comics

fb post JULY 8TH 2024  · 
Dear Valued Customers.
We apologize for our recent lack of communication.
Our Team is hard at work getting caught up on your Orders.
Business has been strong and we look forward to a great summer!
All order or customer inquiries can be emailed to info@mutantbeavercomics.com
MBC Management

24 beaver dead.jpg

It's not hard sending in books the day of release to cgc to get graded and then received back and sent to the customers.

Turn around realistically would be 3-4 months I think is reasonable.

But unable to fill orders and tell them future dates and not deliver until a refund is demanded and the money is already spent and waiting for new orders so the new money is used to refund past orders not delivered and.....

When the music stops, you don't want to be in the last group of customers who've handed over money and all the chairs are taken.

The business should be full the pre orders, can't within a four month window then refund immediately then.

Customers would be more understanding with this.