• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think Comic book shows are broken
2 2

143 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2024 at 9:22 AM, Happy Noodle Boy said:

There are, for me at least, extenuating circumstances here. Even for CGC graded books, no two books in the same condition are alike. And if I'm looking for one of my "grail" books, I'm very particular about its condition. For instance, ASM #39, first John Romita Spidey issue. I'm in the market for something in the VF range. But I hate miswraps. That eliminates a lot of the existing copies out there. I also hate extensive corner damage, such as corner abrasions, where the corners have been dinged so often they look like grated cheese. That eliminates a ton more. I also don't want any stains on the cover. That eliminates even more. I don't want date stamps, or any kind of writing on the cover. By this point I may have eliminated three-quarters of the available VF-range copies. So if I'm at a convention and I find a copy that meets all my criteria, I'll be willing to pay extra for it. 

I agree with your approach, and I perhaps mis-worded my response earlier. I meant just plunking down $50 without any knowledge about a comic that you want to buy. With what you've said you obviously know what you and and what the market offers, so that's your "research" in when you see it. If you see that book in the condition you want, the price has no meaning. In that case it would be the exception to what I said.

You obviously have never sold at a show. That’s fine. You have no idea the challenges that face dealers who set up in order to bring books to you.

Prices especially on keys and “pretty” books, especially wall books can seem out of line and in many cases, they are. You don’t have to buy them or get upset or insulted. Just move on. And dig a little deeper. Check out the boxes and ask other sellers if they have what you want. Most shows have “that one guy” that is overlooked. Some of my best buys have come from people like that.

I would hate to see the death of comic shows. They have been the backbone of the hobby since the beginning. If nothing else conversing with like minded individuals and the whole “vibe” is always a fun experience. Having an open mind and the willingness to work a little usually pays off for me. 

I've never sold a book in my life anywhere. I don't get insulted or mad when someone overprices their books. I just move on. I still enjoy going to shows even if I don't buy very much. Get see lots of cool books. Talk with cool people. I'm just not going to make a bad financial decision because I'm at a show. 

On 8/27/2024 at 8:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

That's not always true.  There is a dealer that I know of that does not care if you buy his stuff or not.  Maybe he deals in comics... maybe art... maybe both.... those who know, know.  He may have cashed in a few things in the last couple of years and has the money to live off of.  Want the item?  Buy it at his price.  Don't want it?  Don't buy it.  It doesn't matter if it sells or not since they have some money to burn.  He is just in the game for the fun of it. 

You should try collecting Currency. I went to a currency show and I feel like 80% of the dealers didn’t care whether you purchased or not and seemed bothered to show their wares ONLY IF you found them at their booth instead of kibitzing with other dealer buddies elsewhere. It was very odd. 

On 9/1/2024 at 2:25 AM, Westy Steve said:

You should try collecting Currency. I went to a currency show and I feel like 80% of the dealers didn’t care whether you purchased or not and seemed bothered to show their wares ONLY IF you found them at their booth instead of kibitzing with other dealer buddies elsewhere. It was very odd. 

😂 One of my friends was with me at NYCC and he could not decide between one book at one dealer’s table and another book at another table.  Throughout the day every time he went to the one table to make an offer the dealer was not around and his assistant said that he would have to wait until the dealer got back in about twenty minutes.  So we would say we’ll be back in a half hour and get something else done.  Rinse and repeat.  We would swing back and he either wasn’t there or we just missed him.  

After a couple of times with this he shrugged and took it as a sign, decided to make an offer on the other book he was interested in at Storms’ table, made a purchase and went home from there.  

On 9/1/2024 at 2:25 AM, Westy Steve said:

Sounds like card shows. I’ve never been to the big ones but the mid ones I go to about half the dealers - usually young bro types - will pull out 6 Giannis refractors the second you point out one in their case and try to upsell you on a “sweet” package “deal.”

The other half - usually older gentlemen with a disheveled look - act like getting off their stool and opening their case to show you the card that’s marked up at least 75% above book is a terrible bother. That is if you can even get their attention while they’re busy yakking it up with 3 other old dudes about all the great cards they found at garage sales.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ah dang it got ahead of myself

I was trying to say the raws I find I want, I'd pay the $1-200 if they were instead slabbed and by cgc.... lol 

That was my point, and nitpicking on my part haha 

Case and point this year I bought 2 randoms from the ASM McFarlane run prcied at $95 that they took $75 a piece for, it sounds random and I'm probably making more sense to myself than others, but that simple transaction is getting fewer and farther between and I can't speak for others peoples needs.

I've always thought if your going to have common books raw have some commons slabbed, and then be more picky as a dealer with higher priced stuff. 

For all I know people have way, way deeper pockets than I there, so I am not and don't really complain lol 

I have had common McFarlane ASM issues in 9.4 at $40 CAD in my slab boxes the past two years with no takers. Same with a bunch of other copper 9.4-9.6 books that came in collections. People would pick them up, comment that it is cheaper than other sellers had their raw copies at, and then put them back. I have started to send all of my copper and modern slabs in for auction since they are not selling well locally.

On 9/1/2024 at 12:33 AM, Buzzetta said:

😂 One of my friends was with me at NYCC and he could not decide between one book at one dealer’s table and another book at another table.  Throughout the day every time he went to the one table to make an offer the dealer was not around and his assistant said that he would have to wait until the dealer got back in about twenty minutes.  So we would say we’ll be back in a half hour and get something else done.  Rinse and repeat.  We would swing back and he either wasn’t there or we just missed him.  

After a couple of times with this he shrugged and took it as a sign, decided to make an offer on the other book he was interested in at Storms’ table, made a purchase and went home from there.  

Frankly, I don’t get that concept. When I pay for a table to set up, I’m there to sell not buy. I might do a little buying during set up but when the doors open to the public, I’m in my booth selling. My aim is to within reason, go home with a lot less books.

I also have a practice of not selling until the public is let in. I just organize by booth and take the lids off the boxes when the doors open. I like everyone to get an equal chance. Some might say that is a stupid practice because dealers buy. Well, the public also buys if you have a good, fresh booth. I have customers that make a beeline for my booth knowing this. I look at shows from both sides of the booth.

On 9/1/2024 at 7:49 AM, kimik said:

I have had common McFarlane ASM issues in 9.4 at $40 CAD in my slab boxes the past two years with no takers. Same with a bunch of other copper 9.4-9.6 books that came in collections. People would pick them up, comment that it is cheaper than other sellers had their raw copies at, and then put them back. I have started to send all of my copper and modern slabs in for auction since they are not selling well locally.

It’s important to bring what sells locally at shows. If stuff doesn’t sell, I bring something else that does. Or, bring a wide variety of stuff. It generally only takes me one show to figure it out.

On 9/1/2024 at 11:07 AM, Robot Man said:

customers that make a beeline for my booth knowing this. I look at shows from both sides of the booth.

Sometimes these will be less likely to expect a strong discount. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... I have dealer friends who will still pull out OPG when I show them what I brought for trade or sale. Out of politeness I do let them finish their spiel before I move on. 

On 9/1/2024 at 11:13 AM, jimjum12 said:

... I have dealer friends who will still pull out OPG when I show them what I brought for trade or sale. Out of politeness I do let them finish their spiel before I move on. 

I usually pull out the "Calculator"  LOL

On 9/1/2024 at 8:13 AM, jimjum12 said:

As long as those dealers use the OPG when pricing their books, I’ll just buy their stuff and move on…

On 9/1/2024 at 11:16 AM, blazingbob said:

I usually pull out the "Calculator"  LOL

You aren't the dealer in question, you're what we used to call a Righteous Dealer. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ... 

On 9/1/2024 at 8:12 AM, blazingbob said:

Well I lack the faith that the public will buy what a dealer will so my stock is available before the show opens.  All of that inventory is on the website before the show opens so frankly the public has an earlier shot then the dealers who show up at the show.

I’m just a hobbyist and don’t have a website no do I have nearly as many pretty books as you do. I find I get a lot more eyes if I have a little “eye candy”. I give the same discount to a dealer as I do to the average collector. Like I said, the perception that my booth hasn’t been picked clean during setup gets me a lot of action at the beginning of a show. And at that time, I don’t have to discount very much. The good books always sell well no matter who is looking at them.

On 9/1/2024 at 11:12 AM, blazingbob said:

Well I lack the faith that the public will buy what a dealer will so my stock is available before the show opens.  All of that inventory is on the website before the show opens so frankly the public has a earlier shot then the dealers who show up at the show.

When I have a table at a show I am completely agnostic about who I am selling to. Over time I have realized that dealers are my best customers and make the largest purchases through the course of the year, but non-dealers also contribute quite a bit to my comic fund. 

I have dealers picking over my stuff after setup and before the doors open, and more power to them. Those books were available to others in the weeks and months before the show. If I can make back my table fee before the doors open it leads to a stress-free show for me. 

On 9/1/2024 at 9:11 AM, Robot Man said:

It’s important to bring what sells locally at shows. If stuff doesn’t sell, I bring something else that does. Or, bring a wide variety of stuff. It generally only takes me one show to figure it out.

Agreed re: know what the market wants for doing shows. My response was to the other post about dealers not having reasonably priced slabbed McASMs. It has been funny watching people pay more for lower grade raw copies from other sellers even after seeing my slabbed copies. The speculation market for buy raw/clean/press/slab is still strong here. I guess they figure they can clean and press anything to get a higher grade. They need to ask themselves this - if the seller has slabs at their booth, why didn’t they grade this copy along with the others? lol 

On 9/1/2024 at 11:54 AM, blazingbob said:

Absolutely true,  if my numbers are done before a show opens it makes for a much more relaxing show.  

The same is true for buyers. While deals can be found anytime during a show, I always feel better if I can make some substantial purchases early on and then do some box diving (which I am usually too lazy to do).