• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - Why not pimp my Graail book?
2 2

20 posts in this topic

Ok, here I have to explain few things... back 8 or 9 months ago after collecting for 2 years I bought my Graail... 

A book I never tought I could have a day when I started... however after acquiring it, it quickly turned to the problems... my ocd's catched me like they do for everything in my life... and i was confronted to a lot of stressed because the condition of the book was not satisfying to my eyes... I tought to sell it for a long time and put it for sell many times trough the forum and elsewhere and then delete the announce and then make the announce again... I tought to buy a new copy and finally a month ago I bought a coverless described in great condition, after got It was disappointed... the first time I been literally scammed... the book was restored with many pages where tears were sealed, they were some water damages and some heavy fold... I quickly sent it back! 

I know that finding a nice coverless copy will be hard and the price we offer me for my copy who still have the cover are just so bad... so I'm tired...

The inside of my book is really good except one point, one deadly point which is terrible when you have ocd's some corner had few tears and I cutted them but now it just look worse because they are badly cutted because I cutted many pages at a time...

But now I have 2 possibilities to save it!

I can cut the corner page by page properly (however its only from page 9 to 18 and its feel weird to me) so i could cut every pages? I put a piece of corner to have a visual exemple of how it will looks then if i do...

20240910_082522.thumb.jpg.244fb3df164738393f2360f1f2f274d7.jpg

So here is the first option, having the corner like this, properly cutted...

Or the second option! 

Stick some corner piece on the pages! If I just stick some random paper it will be visible and just gonna look bad...

So I tought to something why not make a customed book? It s my graail so I could make it look special anyway...

My idea was to stick some corner painted in gold or silver. What is your tought?

f54c79afcc6eacf7e2cdea86470f4aa380a738e545162cd6cd3c2292fada3fc0.thumb.jpg.2fa202d48860fd8f153e006f134da45c.jpg

Yes my mental condition is severe but it's not the question here, the question is which option do you prefer? 

Cutted straight corner or Golden/Silver corner?

Thanks for the read.

Jeremy

I'm sorry you have these problems. But my advice is don't do anything else to it. Think of it from the point of view of the next owner, who would like to have as much of the original as possible. Keep it away from your sight if you need to, but don't further damage it.

On 9/10/2024 at 10:29 AM, DougC said:

Seek therapy; your "ocd" might not be conducive to collecting low grade books with obvious flaws.

It's not like if I didn't knew it... my "ocd" is not conductive to do a lot of things so I guess we should just be a d*ck and let this mess prevent us from living? 

On 9/10/2024 at 10:21 AM, AJD said:

I'm sorry you have these problems. But my advice is don't do anything else to it. Think of it from the point of view of the next owner, who would like to have as much of the original as possible. Keep it away from your sight if you need to, but don't further damage it.

Why this book would have a new owner?

I'm just 21 lol

On 9/10/2024 at 6:49 PM, Coverdeath said:

Why this book would have a new owner?

I'm just 21 lol

I come from a very long lived family and intend to be here for a while yet. But one day all my books will have to find new homes. I'm a custodian and my job is to look after them as well as I can. That includes not making any irreversible changes. 2c

On 9/10/2024 at 5:07 AM, AJD said:

I come from a very long lived family and intend to be here for a while yet. But one day all my books will have to find new homes. I'm a custodian and my job is to look after them as well as I can. That includes not making any irreversible changes. 2c

Coverdeath, listen to AJD, please. He's giving you good advice.

On 9/10/2024 at 4:57 PM, KCOComics said:

My advice would be to sell it as is,  recoup your money and save up for the copy you want. 

The copy I want do not exist... I'm looking for coverless only and the chance to find a copy which is not trashed are under 1%... you want me to spend 500 dollars over the price of a coverless copy for something I don't want (I mean the cover)?

And anyway I only receive some law balls offer, the guys are offering me literally the price of a coverless copy for my book...

Edited by Coverdeath

On 9/10/2024 at 11:26 AM, Coverdeath said:

The copy I want do not exist... I'm looking for coverless only and the chance to find a copy which is not trashed are under 1%... you want me to spend 500 dollars over the price of a coverless copy for something I don't want (I mean the cover)?

And anyway I only receive some law balls offer, the guys are offering me literally the price of a coverless copy for my book...

Collecting in this hobby can require a lot of patience.  

I have waited a decade to buy certain books that have been on my want list. And it's not because those books didn't come up for sale, it's that a copy didn't come up for sale, in a condition I could afford / wanted - at a time when I had the money to buy it. 

Now,  this book is certainly a key,  but I wouldn't say it's super rare.  You could send your copy to auction and let the open market determine the value.  Then you just need to patiently wait for the right copy to come up for you. 

When I was 10 years old I tore the covers off a few of my comics simply because I wanted to pin them on my bedroom wall. It sounds mad now but hey, I still had the comics to read the stories?!? Mainly the back covers of UK Fantastics but also some Batmans and Flash 123. A lifetime later I still have that coverless Flash 123. Years ago I put it into a glass fronted picture frame and hung it on the wall. Why not frame your JLA 1 and enjoy it as it is. And buy a copy or two of the recent reprints for a mere €6 plus postage each.

IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.1fd618503561affdf703f908a007e6d2.JPG

jla1.thumb.webp.bc916d31faba197433cc7c7feec2ec0b.webp

On 9/10/2024 at 11:07 AM, themagicrobot said:

When I was 10 years old I tore the covers off a few of my comics simply because I wanted to pin them on my bedroom wall. It sounds mad now but hey, I still had the comics to read the stories?!? Mainly the back covers of UK Fantastics but also some Batmans and Flash 123. A lifetime later I still have that coverless Flash 123. Years ago I put it into a glass fronted picture frame and hung it on the wall. Why not frame your JLA 1 and enjoy it as it is. And buy a copy or two of the recent reprints for a mere €6 plus postage each.

IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.1fd618503561affdf703f908a007e6d2.JPG

jla1.thumb.webp.bc916d31faba197433cc7c7feec2ec0b.webp

And rip off the reprint cover if it makes you happy?  :devil:

The last time a thread was posted along the lines of this one, a lot of empathy and thoughtful feedback was given.
Some board members even alluded to a situation of this sort inevitably occurring, without finding care / taking care of oneself.
That being said, I agree with what those previous board members and believe the focus should be on self instead of comic books.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:44 AM, troydivision1 said:

The last time a thread was posted along the lines of this one, a lot of empathy and thoughtful feedback was given.
Some board members even alluded to a situation of this sort inevitably occurring, without finding care / taking care of oneself.
That being said, I agree with what those previous board members and believe the focus should be on self instead of comic books.

Lol if you guys really think that I didn't care of myself... I just cannot have a normal life because of this mess! 

Never mind... now I'm gonna close this thread quickly!