• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
9 9

1,142 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2024 at 1:57 AM, Buzzetta said:

One thing I never knew is the level to which people are so passionate about this topic.  

Yup. The angst, the sheer, overwhelming emotional pain is intensely palpable.

It’s an exhausting read.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/24/2024 at 6:29 PM, Prince Namor said:

Lee betrayed Martin Goodman who gave him a high paying job for 40 years, Goodman's son Chip who he snaked out of the Publisher's job, all the artists that he stole credit and pay from throuhout the 60's, including Jack Kirby who saved his job and gave him the means with which to make himself rich and famous

Though Flashman denied it, he also snitched on Kirby and Simon when Goodman fired them.

On 9/24/2024 at 8:59 PM, Stefan_W said:

I wasnt all that aware of there being sides. Who knew.

On 9/24/2024 at 9:02 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. The angst, the sheer, overwhelming emotional pain is intensely palpable.

It’s an exhausting read.

I am reminded of this... 

On 9/24/2024 at 8:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

For the record, moderation only steps in if the terms of use are being broken, or a bunch of off topic posts are posted that distract or take away from the topic at hand. In either case, the posts will be removed.  For off topic posts, there may be no action other than the post removal.  If it happens a second time, a ban from topic will be issued.  If the terms of use are violated, a warning will be issued.  For the first time either 0 or 1 point.  If it happens a second time, a 3 point warning will be issued, which will restrict postings for a minimum of 2 days.  

Love this! (worship)

• Administrator
On 9/24/2024 at 9:46 PM, VintageComics said:
On 9/24/2024 at 8:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

For the record, moderation only steps in if the terms of use are being broken, or a bunch of off topic posts are posted that distract or take away from the topic at hand. In either case, the posts will be removed.  For off topic posts, there may be no action other than the post removal.  If it happens a second time, a ban from topic will be issued.  If the terms of use are violated, a warning will be issued.  For the first time either 0 or 1 point.  If it happens a second time, a 3 point warning will be issued, which will restrict postings for a minimum of 2 days.  

Love this! (worship)

I should add that I have just removed the ban from one of the above mentioned people.  

On 9/24/2024 at 10:12 PM, sfcityduck said:

Joe's grandson is on this site right now. He's probably read your post. But before anyone rushes out to compare the Joe Simon Estate or heirs selling Kirby art to Marvel refusing to return Kirby art they should probably get the opinion of some lawyers. Here's why:

* The legal relationship between Jack Kirby and Marvel was not at all analogous to the legal relationship between Jack Kirby and Joe Simon during the S&K business. All of the "Marvel stole Jack's art" arguments hinge on the nature of the legal relationship between Kirby and Marvel.

* And there's one thing we know for certain: The relationship between Kirby and Marvel was not a partnership. 

* In contrast, S&K had what Jack Kirby once went on the record as stating was a "legitimate partnership" which was formalized with legal documents. Again, S&K was a partnership. This matters. A lot.

* As a partner in that partnership, the work that Jack Kirby did was subject to the partnership agreement and partnership law. And the basic law is that the fruits of labor of partners and the partnership's property is jointly owned by the partners according to their partnership share. Which in the post-WWII years was likely 50/50. 

* So what's that mean? It means that S&K owned any art or other creative workproduct by Jack or Joe. And Jack and Joe as the partners in S&K each owned a 50% interest in that property. How they divided that property, whether by trading off on category for property for another or just splitting each category of property down the middle or something else was their choice.

* What's likely is that when the partnership dissolved they just divided up what they had. Each getting what they wanted. And its perfectly understandable that Joe Simon may have kept some unused art by Kirby and Kirby kept unused art or scripts by Joe. Jack and Joe had a good relationship. I believe Jack would cringe at the abuse that Joe Simon has at times gotten on this site.

* There's nothing legally or ethically improper about the S&K partnerships joint ownership of the partners work product. Because they were partners. This is not the Kirby/Marvel legal relationship.

Which brings us to these questions:

(1) Why are you implying that the Simon Estate or his heirs are acting improperly? Do you have any reason to believe that Joe did something that contrary to the partnership agreement?

(2) Are you aware that implying that the Simon's heirs, like his grandson who has been on this site today, stole Jack's art is potentially defamatory? Those heirs aren't public figures. And they aren't dead. So when you imply that they have sold stolen art you are making a heavy accusation against parties who actually can file their own defamation claims.

So if you don't know the law in this area and have a cogent theory as to why there was some impropriety, I'd suggest you take a step back. We're all better than this. I assume you didn't know the legal nuances. So let's be nice to the Simon family unless you really have a very strong case.

I get the venom towards Stan. I don't agree with it all,  but I understand where its coming from. 

The venom towards Joe, I don't understand. 

I love Jack Kirby. But loving Jack doesn't mean having to tear down everyone around him.  If Jack were alive,  I don't think he would tolerate attacking Joe and his family. 

On 9/24/2024 at 7:16 PM, thehumantorch said:

'He wrote dialogue'.  Writing dialogue is writing and an essential part of a comic book.  The story isn't done until the dialogue is written and what is said and how it is said is very important.  And to me Stan's writing was different and better than anything coming out of DC or any other comic company.

Stan Lee absolutely should have given the artists credit for their contributions to plotting, character development and writing.  We clearly disagree about the value of Stan Lee's contributions because I consider him essential to the creation of the SA Marvel universe and as important as Kirby's contributions to the SA Marvel Universe. 

In the movie business, writing dialogue is called "scripting." And people win Oscars for doing it. Why, because what a character says is essential to this thing called "characterization." In a movie, the director generally plots out the visuals, in some cases using comic book artists to provide illustrations of what the director thinks the visuals should look like. But the script writers select the dialogue. And when you have a movie, like Easy Rider, where the script itself is improvised after the director has picked a location for the visuals and turned on the cameras, then the actors who are improvising most of the dialogue get a -- you guessed it -- scripting credit. Because a script does not need to predate the development of the visuals. 

It's really analogous to the Marvel Method. And you know what, Peter Fonda got an Oscar nomination for just coming up with dialogue on the spot in that movie.