• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
9 9

443 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2024 at 5:57 AM, VintageComics said:

Because it was the 50's and NOT the 60's.

Timing. Luck. A zillion factors.

Culture (and counterculture), sensibilities, drugs of choice - everything was different between the two decades. In every great success, it's like a lightning strike. Timing is the single, greatest factor in every successful venture. 

Would Zepplin has been the world's greatest rock band of all time if they appeared in 1950 or 1980? Likely not. 

You're looking at Marvel as a math equation and assuming all the separate parts can be quantified, but if it can't be replicated, that means it's impossible to dissect fully and authoritatively.

If you can't manifest it yourself, that means it's all just an opinion.

Kirby was a part of hits in multiple decades.

Captain America sold over a MILLION copies in the 1940's, more than any Marvel book would for another 40 years and became a huge hit. And it's not even about sales - the creation CONNECTED with people. 

Where was Lee's hit? Where was Lee's connection?

Kirby and Simon's Boy Commando's another million copy selling book a month, this time at DC.... and again, it's not even about sales - the creation CONNECTED with people. 

Kirby and Simon's Young Romance and Young Love sold over a Million copies a month into the 50's. Huge Success.

Kirby on his own at DC in the 50's - the Challengers of the Unknown started off in Showcase and got its owwn series faster tha the Flash did. It inspired DC to do more adventure teams (Sea Devils, Suicide Squad) and even to bring back superhero teams (JLA) and eventually influence Kirby's Fantstic Four idea.

Where was Lee's connection? Where was Lee's ideas?

In the 70's, Kirby created the New Gods - who else was creating an entire Universe of characters? Darkseid alone and what DC has milked from it over the years is worth it's weight in gold.

Where was Lee's ideas? Where was his connection.

Basic critical reaasoning skills, from someone who knew nothing about comics would look at this and laugh at the idea that Lee had all the ideas in the 60's at Marvel. He had none before Kirby. He had none after. 

It's just a logical step.

On 9/16/2024 at 7:50 AM, KCOComics said:

Roy - you've been very on point this discussion and I pretty much agree with everything you've said. 

@Prince Namor congratulations on the new book! 

I don't agree with your position - but I greatly admire your research and passion for the topic. 

I'll buy a copy, though I'm not sure I need to read it. I feel like I've been reading it for 6 years on these forums. 

Thank you! And believe me, there's so much more in there... and some quotes you may not have seen before! You may appreciate it just for that!

On 9/15/2024 at 8:50 PM, KCOComics said:

Roy - you've been very on point this discussion and I pretty much agree with everything you've said. 

Thanks, I genuinely appreciate it. 

I'm all for genuine discussion but it has to be balanced and reasonable. 

I'm really going to pull out of this thread now. I don't want to derail it any longer as it's not my intention. 

On 9/16/2024 at 1:49 AM, VintageComics said:

Stan Lee's role was basically the manager of the brand and what I see coming as the end result of Chuck's unbalanced points and rants,

None of which you've pointed out specifically, from a book YOU HAVEN'T read.

On 9/16/2024 at 1:49 AM, VintageComics said:

is that Marvel would have been just as successful without Stan Lee.

Never said that. Never would say that. 

You. Are. Wrong. You are misinformed.

What I HAVE said, numerous times over the years, is very clearly...

If Stan Lee hadn't been involved, the Marvel Universe wouldn't have been the same.

But if Jack Kirby hadn't been involved, it never would've existed.

BUT.... ultimately - it makes no difference because THAT is not what the book is about.

It's about all the LIES in the Origins of Marvel Comics.

But you wouldn't know that, because again, you're argueing about something you haven't read or even thought to ask or figure out what it's about. I don't mind discussing the things you've learned to say about Lee from Lee and Thomas and Marvel Comics, but for you to make a recommendation on the book based upon what it's NOT ABOUT... that means you're really...

...you're aiming that at ME. 

On 9/15/2024 at 9:12 PM, Prince Namor said:

...you're aiming that at ME. 

No, I'm aiming it at your writing style, which has been consistent the entire time I've known you. 

Many others agree. 

Have fun! 

On 9/11/2024 at 10:31 PM, Prince Namor said:

I'm proud to announce my latest book - Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics', available now on Amazon!

Just in time for the 50th anniversary of this infamous book!

In 1974, Stan Lee released the ‘Origins of Marvel Comics', laying claim to the creation of some of the greatest superheroes in the history of comic books. For 50 years, the lies and inaccuracies of this book have been not only overlooked or outright ignored by the mainstream media (and even many comic journalists), but repeated as FACT.

For the first time, an in depth look at just how inaccurate Lee's story is - fact-checked with modern updated means of information collection and later interviews with the people who were there.

Stan Lee Lied. A LOT.

And that's a fact.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DGLQ6BXV

Cover.jpg

My copy arrived today! It will be a few weeks till I'm able to get through it but look forward to reaching out afterwards if this thread ends up locked. Congratulations!

On 9/15/2024 at 11:34 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

I wasn't going to comment on this subject specifically again given that feelings seem to be running high, however I do have a genuine question.

I have to preface it so there is no doubt, that this is not a personal attack or criticism of you at all, but I am genuinely intrigued as to what will be your answer to this:

Your book is called what it's called, namely that SL is a liar. But now you have doubled down an hour ago and called him a thief as well. Ok, fair or not fair, lets leave the ramifications of that to one side.

If you believe SL is a thief (much worse than a liar surely?), why then did you not call your book, STAN LEE LIED AND STOLE?

I'm no expert on publishing but a title like that is dynamite and would surely yield many more potential sales.

I'm curious why you didn't because you said it, so you obviously believe it, regardless whether it is true or not.

judge-judy-times-up.gif

TALKING POINTS FROM: 'Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the Origins of Marvel Comics’ by Chaz Gower (available now on Amazon!)

The MYTH of DC Comics Restricting Marvel to Eight Titles a Month.

First off, let me just say: I’m not saying it ABSOLUTELY DID NOT HAPPEN… Just that, there’s no proof and… what we do know, sure doesn’t make it look like it’s true.

First some history: In 1956, Martin Goodman was talked into switching distribution of his product to American News Co. (the ANC on the covers of so many comics in the early Fifties). What he didn’t know was that they were under investigation by the Federal Government for some Mafia related business. They shut down 6 months later, and Goodman was without distribution of his comics/magazines and books.

Goodman had to lay off the whole staff.

DC-owned Independent News Co. agreed to distribute for them, which got them up and running, but instead of hiring everyone back, Goodman instructed Stan Lee to use the remaining inventory of work, with an occasional freelance fill in.

So…. DID DC comics impose an 8 book a month maximum on Goodman as Lee claimed (followed by others who simply repeated his statement) or… did GOODMAN put a restriction on Lee for the number of titles based on budget/staff?

Reasons to believe the 8 titles a month myth:

1) Stan Lee said so. Everyone else just repeated it.

So that’s ONE reason. One Zip.

Reasons NOT to believe the 8 titles a month myth:

1. There’s ZERO evidence. No paperwork. Nothing.

Now that COULD change. But as of now, no one has even SAID they’ve seen proof of it and nothing has ever been brought forward as paper evidence that such a thing was in place. It IS also possible, I guess, that Goodman, trying to be nice, told Lee that this was happening as a way of NOT saying, “Look kid, I have no faith in you to do more than 8 books a month.” But right now, there’s no physical evidence of an agreement.

1. There was NEVER a time when Marvel printed 16 bi-monthly books and rotated them every other month as claimed. We can see (mikesamazingworld.com) and count, and clearly show, it’s not true.

Even John Morrow in his ‘Stuff Said Book, repeats:

“In late May-June, Goodman signs with Independent News (IND), the distributor that is a subsidiary of comics rival DC Comics. IND only agrees to carry eight Atlas comic books per month, so Goodman switches to 16 bi-monthly titles…”

Marvel DID have some sort of bi-monthly books during this time - their longest running and most trusted titles - Kid Colt Outlaw, Millie the Model, Miss America, Patsy Walker, Strange Tales… but Kid Colt wasn’t monthly prior to the Implosion anyway. It went from 10 issues over 12 months to 7 over the first 12 months of the new agreement. That’s one more than bi-monthly. Millie the Model went from 9 issues over 12 months to 7 over the first 12 of the new agreement. That’s again one more than bi-monthly and not monthly before then. Miss America, Patsy Walker, and Homer the Happy Ghost went from 6 issues over the previous 12 months to 7 over the first 12 of the agreement! They went UP! Strange Tales and Patsy & Hedy went from 9 to 7.

We’d get 6 issues of Battle over the first 12 months of the agreement, but it was already bi-monthly the year before. Gunsmoke Western, My Own Romance, Marines in Battle, Wyatt Earp were already bi-monthly or close (7 to 5, or 5 to 6, etc.)

The only book you could ALMOST say went from monthly to bi-monthly would be Love Romances which went from 11 the previous year to 7 in the first year of the DC agreement.

I don’t see any evidence of a book going from monthly to bi-monthly after the Implosion.

Somebody made that up and just repeated it over the years.

Marvel Propaganda Mouthpiece Tom Brevhoort likes to repeat this lie, but now adds, from our point of view, they limited him to only 8 comic book releases a month.” (From his December 28, 2019 blog). It’s amazing how their stories change as more proof against them comes out!

But there’s more:

“So Martin got 8 slots, which he used to put out 16 bimonthly books.”

FALSE. As we’ve shown.

“This is how things stood at the start of Marvel, where FANTASTIC FOUR became a 17th title in the mix–either because Goodman got permission or because he didn’t and simply tried to sneak one more series through the pipeline.”

We’re jumping ahead a few years, but FALSE. The month the Fantastic Four came out, Marvel released 17 books THAT month. 10 the month before, and 17 the month after. That’s 44 books between July 5th and September 28th. You know, the MONEY months. 14.66 a MONTH.

Marvel would go on to release another 79 books for the year of 1961, or 8.77 per month in the off season, but TOTAL, average 10.25 a month for 1961.

So the question has to be asked… if this restriction was originally done to limit Marvel’s success, why would DC allow them to bunch the titles up in the busy months of the year? That makes no sense.

Th truth is most likely, that they didn’t limit them at all - Goodman did, and loosened it up whenever, a) he had staff - Kirby was freelancing full-time - and b) when the time of the year dictated. Marvel was in charge of their own production.

NOTE: When Kirby returned in summer of 1959 as a full-time freelancer, his books - Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish, Strange Tales, and Journey Into Mystery would all go MONTHLY by spring of the following year. AGAIN, showing what Brevhoort says here is false.

In order to launch a new book, Goodman had to kill an existing series.

What series was killed to add the Fantastic Four? Let’s have a look at the evidence!

The new added 1961 title, Amazing Adventures? Nope, that became Amazing Adult Fantasy. The newly added Linda Carter, Student Nurse? Nope, another title just added two months before FF#1, that would run 9 issues. Kathy? Life With Millie? Nope. Those had been added in 1959.

My Girl Pearl ended in January of 1961, 8 MONTHS prior to FF#1 - is he trying to claim THAT was it???

Marvel was ADDING titles, dude. Not subtracting.

"This tended to make him quick on the trigger, and is one reason why INCREDIBLE HULK was cancelled so swiftly. (In point of fact, Jack Kirby related at one point that INCREDIBLE HULK had been cancelled by Goodman even earlier, with #3, but the book got a short-lived reprieve thanks to fan letters from college students.)”

This is just silly. The Hulk was canceled because it wasn’t selling. (And it wasn’t selling because Lee was imposing his will so strongly on Kirby regarding the stories it just became a mess). It had nothing to do with scheduling that we can see. This is just made up.

"In any event, with his sales booming, Goodman sought and received permission to expand his line by two releases."

More nonsense. By the time X-Men and Daredevil came out (which is what he’s talking about here), Marvel was already averaging 12 titles a month - 4 OVER this mythological restriction.

Why did they expand? Well, sales of course, but also because… of EXPANDED staff.

Joe Orlando, Bill Everett returning, Robert Bernstein, Lee now had Flo Steinburg as a secretary…

3. Marvel didn’t follow the supposed restriction. By 1961 they were publishing 10 books a month. It went up every year after that. By 1966 they were publishing 16 books a month - DOUBLE what the claimed restriction was. Marvel apologists say that as Marvel got more successful, DC eased up the restrictions. What??? If DC originally did it as a way to keep Marvel from competing, WHY would they ease the restrictions as they GOT MORE SUCCESSFUL? That makes no sense.

4. When asked throughout the 60’s why they didn’t give each character their own book - instead of splitting stories in Strange Tales/Tales to Astonish/Tales of Suspense - Lee’s answer was always, “We don’t have the staff to do it.’ Which is true. As his staff grew, so did the number of books published.

BINGO. There’s your real answer. I need to find more of these college campus transcripts or recordings and transcribe them - Lee had a habit in the 60’s of telling the truth sometimes at these things.

“We’d love to give everybody a magazine of his own, (?) we get requests for these things all the time, we mention in the books and I’m sure nobody believes it, we don’t have the time and we don’t have the staff…” - Stan Lee, Speaking Engagement at Princeton, 1966

5. They actually grew more under DC than they did originally switching to Cadence. From 1960 to 1968, Marvel went from 8 books a month to almost 20 books a month - an increase of 12 books per month. From 1969 (Cadence took over publishing of Marvel’s books in July of 1969) to 1971, Marvel increased to only 23 books a month. They only went up 3 books a month with Cadence in the first three years of having their own Distribution? Why? One can only suspect it would be limitations in staff to produce more. If DC HAD been holding them back, wouldn’t they’ve had a bigger increase once they went to their own distributor?

Of course. It was, as it always was, a matter of staff.

NOTE: And despite the growth they DID have under Cadence early, in the 2nd half of 1970, 49.3% of Marvel’s output was reprint books. In all of 1971, 43.5% of Marvel’s output was reprint books. The reason? Well, Jack Kirby was no longer there, so… lack of staff (and creative talent to make anything new).

6. It was Goodman’s philosophy to run the superheroes together in one book. He was still talking about this in 1971: “(On the erosion of sales) That’s why we have so many superhero characters, and run superheroes together. Even if you take two characters that are weak sellers and run them together in the same book, somehow, psychologically, the reader feels he’s getting more. You get the Avenger follower and the Sub-Mariner follower.” (- Martin Goodman, interviewed by Saul Braun, ‘Shazam! Here Comes Captain Relevant’, New York Times, May 2nd, 1971)

THIS would fall in line with his lack of faith he had in Lee (in the EARLY 60’s) as well as his lack of faith in superheroes, as well as his lack of STAFF to produce enough books.

Six to One. Pretty lopsided score.

So why would Marvel go to all the trouble to say this? Why come up with this lie that really only surfaced in the 70’s? Why then ADD to it with things like ‘so Goodman switches to 16 bi-monthly titles’ (which actually helps give away the intent)?

Simple.

We KNOW it was Kirby who saved Marvel. (See the previous Essay)

We KNOW Lee did NOTHING to save the company in the year he had before Maneely tragically died and Kirby returned to save the day.

But MARVEL doesn’t want you to know that. Marvel wants you to think it was STAN with the plan that saved Marvel in the late 50’s. That’s why, DC putting the screws to Marvel with that restriction of only 8 titles a month makes it sound so much like Lee overcame all odds to WIN! Marvel’s clever bi-monthly plan - “only 8 a month? Fine! We’ll do 16 bi-monthly then!’ - shows just how smart they are.

No.

Jack Kirby SAVED your . When you had nothing. And Goodman held the paper in his hands to END Marvel Comics… because Lee couldn’t do anything to save it…. Jack Kirby walked in the door and said, “I’ll put you some books together that’ll sell.”

Marvel Comics would’ve ended in August of 1958, if not for Jack Kirby.

I often have to say “Without Stan Lee, obviously, Marvel Comics wouldn’t have been the same.”

But I always add, “But without Jack Kirby, it would’ve never existed at all.”

On the newsstands in September of 1958? Three new Kirby Sci-Fi books - Strange Worlds #1, Tales of Suspense #1 and Tales to Astonish #1. A genre that had NEVER been successful for Goodman. Kirby had talked him into it.

And the rest is history.

Chaz Gower’s new book ‘Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics’', available now on Amazon!

Screen Shot 2024-09-16 at 4.11.53 PM.png

On 9/16/2024 at 12:26 PM, Prince Namor said:

I often have to say “Without Stan Lee, obviously, Marvel Comics wouldn’t have been the same.”

But I always add, “But without Jack Kirby, it would’ve never existed at all.”

...............but, IMHO without Stan (and the emotional connection he created with the readers) the books would not have sold nor, made any money for literally decades to come.

On 9/16/2024 at 1:47 PM, KCOComics said:

I would argue Stan is the single most important person in the history of comics. And we would not be here arguing today if there was no Stan Lee.

You're absolutely correct, but a book entitled, STAN LEE MAY HAVE LIED BUT HE DRAGGED THE COMIC BOOK INDUSTRY INTO THE MILLENIUM AND ACTUALLY LAID THE GROUNDWORK FOR COMICS TO BE A RESPECTED AND COPIED ARTFORM.....well...that's not as punchy a title is it? Nor would it sell.

meh