• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,770 posts in this topic

Here's something I'm really proud of :)

m1ALm4Bs_1807151655021.jpg

I wrote some stuff about this piece right here in my CAF gallery. Feel free to drop by!

Sweet! (BTW, I saw your description so wanted to say that I am on JHW3's secret commission list. Been there about a decade and I'll wait as long as it takes. No money down, he says he'll get to it and I believe him. We both laugh about it though!)

I rarely post art days, but this one just took a fun twist that made me want to share it.

I'm an admitted Todd McFarlane fanatic. He's my favorite artist, hands down. This bad boy just arrived this week and I wanted to gush:)

Nr271Q02_1607152111201.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1242598

This is a very fun and interesting piece. Peak era Todd McFarlane, full pencils, oddball inker, used as a cover and a puzzle and a card!

McFarlane inked his own art almost exclusively after Amazing Spider-Man 305 and this is one of the few pieces created after that point that someone else touched. It was done in 1989, somewhere during his already insane year of ASM 311-328, the real hey-dey of McFarlaneMania.

It was first used as the secret puzzle you could assemble out of the backs of the cards in the 1989 Todd McFarlane Trading Card Set. It then popped up again a year or two later as the cover of the Spider-Man Keepsake Collection II and as an over-sized trading card inside.

That strange twist I mentioned above? I only found out it was used for the puzzle earlier tonight. It wasn't mentioned in the auction description:) Easily the best of the 3 ways it saw print, and it wasn't even known! I can't imagine the price wouldn't have moved a bit more if that was known.

http://spiderfan.org/cards/1989_mcfarlane1/images/backs.jpg

Mark Pennington(Harvey nominated this year!) inked both of those puzzles and I think did a stellar job on this. It was inked entirely with a brush and brought a nice bold line to Todd's art, different from the nib McFarlane used. Todd had a few inkers try to work over his pencils and most couldn't handle it. Pennington is one of the better fits to Todd's style that have tried.

What's probably the most amazing thing about this bad boy though is the sheer size. Aside from true covers, you simply don't see McSpideys at full page size, let alone with about as perfect of a Spidey pose as you can dream of and framed in spaghetti webbing! At McFarlane's Spidey peak in 1988-90 I think there were maybe 25 pieces with a pose of this caliber and size, and most were covers like 300 and 301 or full page splashes like in 317.

How this insane multi-hyphenate oddity fell to me for a single-kidney price I'll never know, but tonight I'm even more happy for it!(Card set already en route!)

And here's my favorite part - it's got the cover signature! The McFarlane in the scroll!! To me that little McFarlane was the end all, be all, coolest freakin' signature on Earth. You can only get them on covers and pinups and trading cards, so this is an exciting bonus:) It's also centered, another uniqueness to the piece.

I'm very giddy about this very delicious display McFarlane that is gonna look pretty damn good staple-gunned to the mantle...

-j

Beautiful piece! I am very jealous. I was buying Hulk off the stands and loved Todd's art immediately. I never sought any out when I started buying OA and will always regret it. Glad you shared this one, thanks.

I managed to dig-out one of three paintings I got from Hugh Stanley White:

art3_1.jpg

Far as I'm aware, it's an unpublished piece intended as a paperback cover.

I've uploaded this into my CAF, with an additional image of the artwork at his drawing board. A few other pieces, too.

I know I have another painting somewhere, but need to do more searching!

A third painting I gave away to a close friend. He always loved that particular one, so I made it a birthday present to him (he has the painting on display in his front room and keeps telling me, over the years, how much he enjoys it!).

My primary acquisition from SDCC '15 - a light convention for me but I have been after a Colan/Everett romance page for a long time now! Click on the picture to visit my Colan/Everett CAF gallery.

XKSl6le3_1907150132431.jpg

If you know where more of these Colan/Everett romance pages are please send them my way!

Acquiring an Iron Fist page from the 1970s Byrne run has been on my wantlist for years as I loved martial arts growing up. Found this page full of karate-choppin' goodness, a resounding "Hai-Yaahhhh!" and a dramatic opening panel of Iron Fist busting through the ceiling, one baddie exclaims: "Holy Mother of Mercy!"

ddJ3eb02_2202151347111.jpg

Click thumbnail for larger image

This got here yesterday. Another Platt Moon Knight page. I had never seen this one before it was offered to me. Snatched it right up once I saw it. Marc dies due to the explosion on this page.

Moon Knight # 60, Page 17

Moon%20Knight%2060%20Page%2017_zpsgpjkj63f.jpg

More than 10 years after my last purchase, just decided to come back to OA.

Cannot afford vintage EC covers but I found a nice Johnny Craig page from EC's Extra!

Craig_zps2nqx3zwj.jpg

Cannot afford vintage EC covers but I found a nice Johnny Craig page from EC's Extra!

Craig_zps2nqx3zwj.jpg

Great page!

BTW, I am reading the new Harvey Kurtzman biography and it has me really pining to see some of the art they talk about.

Craig_zps2nqx3zwj.jpg

I like it :)

Great page and was probably affordable. I love GA art, it is twice up, well drawn, and cheap. I buy lots of art from that period for those reasons

I've had a pretty good week. These are just a few of the pieces that came in recently. The pieces by Natalie Hall are from being a backer of her Patreon and there are a couple pencil sketches that came in at the same time as these 2. You can see them here as well as some others that arrived recently. Natalie's work is fantastic. You can check her Patreon out here.

Z2WWG3.jpg

I have been a fan of Dan's gentle creature art for a long time but hadn't added a piece to the collection. When I saw this piece I knew I had to have it.

"Out Of The Darkness" by Dan May

0sgWKB.jpg

Got a new Captain America page. This is from Captain America Chosen #5 page 5. I love how it tells a bit of his origin story and him chasing down the bad guys. Mitch Breitweisers's best art was in this series IMO.

BreitweiserCaptainAmericaIssue05-5_zpsdgxmekkw.jpg