• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,757 posts in this topic

Blown away by this recent commission from Sean Murphy. I asked for a Batman and Spectre team-up/face-off, and got a double-page spread with its own stand-alone story vs Talia and Ra's al Ghul emerging from a Lazarus Pit! 

Link to this and other Batman-Spectre commissions I've had done over the last two years:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1379108

fullsizeoutput_42ca.jpeg

Edited by Sideshow Bob

Sam Glanzman as you've never seen him before! This is the complete 9-page story "The Sword of Light", written and drawn by Sam, which was published in Vampirella #14 in 1971. This was Sam's only work for Warren publishing. Make sure to check out page 8, the penultimate page to the story, it's a real cut up.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=180958

Currently making its way back to the UK, via a side-trip to the USA, is this cracking example from the British science-fiction strip JEFF HAWKE, as illustrated by Sydney Jordan (with a terrific assist, here, by Colin Andrew). 

This particular daily comes from the 1960 adventure, ‘Survival’, something that I consider to be an artistic highpoint for the strip (and a really neat dark, moody and claustrophobic pot-boiler of a story).  The artwork for this serial is of a consistently high-standard throughout the 71 dailies that comprise the storyline, with few (if any) lacklustre examples.

My introduction to the serial . . .

“Whilst on a deep space voyage, Jeff Hawke’s spacecraft is accidently shot down by a strange alien craft onto a nearby asteroid, with one of the crew members badly injured during the crash-landing.  To help make amends for their tragic error, the aliens who caused the accident,  “repair and improve” the dying crewman . . . with resulting grave consequences that will soon unfold for Jeff and his team.”

This particular daily is, to my mind, a standout example from a standout serial.  Panel one sets the stage as Jeff and his crew put into position the strange alien cylinder that contains the ‘repaired and improved’ crewman.  Panel two sees Jeff cautiously unscrewing the end of the  life-healing cylinder . . . leading into a wonderful cliff-hanger of a third and final climactic panel in which the altered ‘Mac’ slowly emerges . . . eyes glowing strangely.

My thanks to Roger Clarke for turning-up for me another  exemplary and fondly-remembered example from this long-running, highly-regarded British science-fiction strip . . . and a tip of the old hat to Chris Killackey for helping to rekindle my interests in the work of Sydney Jordan.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

jeffhawke.jpg

Edited by The Voord

As a quick P.S., Roger Clarke will be updating his web-site with more JEFF HAWKE offerings in the near future (he's currently in possession of a new batch of originals).  They are affordable, so well worth looking out for.

3 minutes ago, The Voord said:

As a quick P.S., Roger Clarke will be updating his web-site with more JEFF HAWKE offerings in the near future (he's currently in possession of a new batch of originals).  They are affordable, so well worth looking out for.

You know, if you don't start some type of blog (doesn't have to be about Doctor Who) called"the Voord on the Street" you're really doing it wrong. 

Just saw the movie X-Men: Apocalypse and this Astonishing X-Men cover with a nuclear blast in the background reminded me of the movie - or maybe I just like "giant skull" covers :blush: I won the original art cover a few hours ago :cloud9:

Astonishing_X-Men_Vol_3_35.thumb.jpg.3b64981ddeeaf74df7051b310bf955f0.jpg

The original art can be seen here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1379831

Maybe I'll add an overlay with the title someday hm

Edited by Rune

Received this cover today. I am a big fan of All-Star Squadron from the 80s by Roy Thomas / Rich Buckler / Jerry Ordway. This cover was done for All-Star Companion #4 part of a 4 volume tribute to original All-Star Comics and the series it inspired. Great example by Jerry.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1380078

tg3HuKgi_0803172336161sbpi.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck