• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,757 posts in this topic

Great stuff, y'all. 

I picked up a small:

IMAG49052_zpswqqzd8e9.jpg

F.R.Gruger

IMG_3mlpoe_zpsbvu0j0hs.jpg

Then figured out the signature is 'rubber stamped' -- but the pencils are real.

Must have been a dismantled 'personal sketchbook' cause other pages were also for sale with a rubber stamp.

FYI: Gruger worked with many publishers during his forty-year career, but he is most closely identified with The Saturday Evening Post.

Gruger was inducted into the Society of Illustrators' Hall of Fame in 1981.

On 3/27/2017 at 6:38 PM, zhamlau said:

Got this a bit ago but finally got around to posting. I think its the best Twin Earths daily ive ever seen. I have wondered if Frazetta worked on it cause its almost to good for McWilliams and he was already pretty danm good. Either way, its pretty...huzzah....

McWilliamsFixed.jpg

I don't know if I see the Frazetta touch, but this is crazy good McWilliams. A great example.

1 hour ago, Hal Turner said:
On 3/27/2017 at 9:38 PM, zhamlau said:

Got this a bit ago but finally got around to posting. I think its the best Twin Earths daily ive ever seen. I have wondered if Frazetta worked on it cause its almost to good for McWilliams and he was already pretty danm good. Either way, its pretty...huzzah....

McWilliamsFixed.jpg

I don't know if I see the Frazetta touch, but this is crazy good McWilliams. A great example.

Its in the woman's face and pair in center and the man in the tee-shirt specifically The pose and face and hair and nose profile. He could have just been channeling him though. Again I'm absolutely floored they let Al get away with the girl in the center. The ampleness of her "assets" is kinda shocking. Like how they got away with that in a 1962 daily meant for kids is surprising.

The cover of Fantastic Four 27! (well almost but still awesome.)

I am very excited by the twice-up recreation of the cover of the first Doctor Strange crossover (June 1964) by Chic Stone. This was Chic's (according to some sources) first time inking Jack Kirby on the Fantastic Four. Chic started inking Jack Kirby at Marvel with the interior to Journey Into Mystery # 102 (March, 1964). This 1995 recreation of the cover is painstakingly identical. While the top title, logo, etc. is one single stat the bottom is all Chic. So while the original art from 1964 would be nice, I do have a recreation by (one of the two) artists who worked on it originally. Plus of course it features: "The Sensational Dr. Strange."

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1383722

FF27cover-01ab.thumb.jpg.f55e2e3dcd7a1bb297597093f605afbf.jpg

(can't get it to rotate, sorry)

I picked up a couple of splash pages that I thought had interesting artwork. 

Curse of the Spawn #28 page 2, and The Darkness #35 page 5

20170403_110406 (2).jpg

20170403_110228 (2).jpg

Edited by Sooners151