• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,790 posts in this topic

I saw a very interesting painting on a stand at HeroesCon. It was appeared to be a plein-air painting painting of a Mediterranean Sea port with a large fishing boat being the most prominent item. I thought to myself, this is an odd piece for a comic book convention. I got closer and then I saw Popeye boarding the boat and Olive, Swee'Pea, and Jeep at the bow and Bluto in a chair by the cabin. It was awesome. It was the auction piece from Jared Cullum. Jared is the writer/artist of the Eisner nominated (twice) and Reuben Award winning Kodi and the artist on the more recent Wonder City.

Jared had Wonder City art at his table - basically the entire book - and it was lovely. I bought a three page sequence plus the Kodi and Wonder City books. I'm glad that I did. Oh, that paining I saw sold in the HeroesCon auction for $3500.

Here's the sequence I bought. In it, Alex (the younger sister) and Lizzy are having a disagreement about how to handle a bad situation when Alex drops her bat and raises the dead (okay, they were already raised). Next they are surrounded back to back in a classic pose. Next page, the calvary arrives in the form of some frenemies.

I love it. I hope you do.

image.thumb.jpeg.ed29af008c0ac3cfbc9f644e78fa33dc.jpeg

Of course the faux S&S cover I posted earlier and the Wonder City pages I posted just now were not the sum total of my HeroesCon expenditures.

I was able to get a Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) drawing in my sketchbook from Cully Hamner, the co-creator/artist for this Blue Beetle - the third one.

Click to learn more:

image.thumb.jpeg.c23673e61e059bfd6703fae0f0166bc7.jpeg

Another day, another posting!

----

The squandering continues. Will I ever stop? Doubt it. Sorry, girls!

In addition to the faux S&S cover, the 3 pages from Wonder City, the Blue Beetle sketch, and the S&S refrigerator magnet, I also picked up a sketch from Sandy Jarrell in my "Artist's Choice and Why" sketch book.

Sandy did a nice job with his choice and I suspect many Legion fans have felt the same way.

image.thumb.jpeg.0150b14bc125d6ed79e25ffb2b32aa15.jpeg

On 6/21/2024 at 9:27 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Technically, I got these a few weeks ago, at Fan Expo Dallas. Remarques from Lucio Parrillo and Patrick Horvath, and an OA page from Dan Parent. They were all pleasant to meet and talk to.

IMG_20240609_184815953.jpg

IMG_20240609_184836860.jpg

IMG_20240609_194128115.jpg

IMG_20240609_165852530.jpg

Awesome!