• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the master of the bizarre/macabre in the GA/PCH eras? Let's go for a walk on the dark side ...
3 3

102 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2024 at 11:12 PM, adamstrange said:

If it's signed Elias, then he penciled and inked.  The later unsigned are usually all Kremer.

We don't know how many Kremer designed, but there were a number of his prelims in the Harvey archives and he was a cover machine for Harvey during the 50s and 60s.

Warren Kremer Chamber of Chills  #20 Cover Preliminary Original Art (Harvey, 1954). ...

Warren Kremer Witches Tales #22 Cover Color Preliminary Original Art (Harvey, 1953)....

Warren Kremer Chamber of Chills Magazine #21 Cover Preliminary Original Art (Harvey, 1954)....

I just became aware of the Harvey archive last night when I was searching for 'loser' Chamber of Chills covers.  I'm impressed.

I'll need to look into this further.  Those sketches are fantastic, both in composition and the fact that they are even available!

I think there were a few "masters" but Baily would be my choice if I had to choose who was thee master. L.B. and J.C. would be up there also. I'm only going by covers. 

Elias obviously had some classics. I wish some of his covers were a little less cartoony especially BC 50 and TOT 15. COC 19 and 23 are perfect in my opinion. 

Flessel and Fine would have probably done some incredible stuff had they stuck around until the 50's. 

On 10/20/2024 at 3:45 PM, Professor K said:

I think there were a few "masters" but Baily would be my choice if I had to choose who was thee master. L.B. and J.C. would be up there also. I'm only going by covers. 

Elias obviously had some classics. I wish some of his covers were a little less cartoony especially BC 50 and TOT 15. COC 19 and 23 are perfect in my opinion. 

Flessel and Fine would have probably done some incredible stuff had they stuck around until the 50's. 

I don't think I've ever had any Elias cover on my want list. Some of his covers are OK, but I don't think any of them are good enough to be five-figure books.

I'm not that crazy about most of Bailey's covers, either, but I do like Weird Mysteries #4 (which has skyrocketed in price since I started looking for a copy—of course).

On 10/20/2024 at 8:55 AM, kent allard said:

I just became aware of the Harvey archive last night when I was searching for 'loser' Chamber of Chills covers.  I'm impressed.

I'll need to look into this further.  Those sketches are fantastic, both in composition and the fact that they are even available!

Link?

On 10/20/2024 at 2:47 PM, sfcityduck said:

Everett draws great skeletons and these are probably the big 3 PCH for me:

image.jpeg.f9d88fdfb0fe3529546bc7e10c647de8.jpeg

image.jpeg.52e2724e20e2e4bb444f31c984944ca4.jpeg

image.jpeg.f1de7cb276be8248cc8c5e443487029d.jpeg

I REALLY do not want this to sound disrespectful of an excellent artist (at least not TOO disrespectful), but Everett seems to be a one-trick pony when it comes to bizarre/macabre and PCH.  Granted, he does draw good skeletons and the three covers here are quite good, but I'd love to see examples of his breadth otherwise he will remain in the also-ran category as far as I'm concerned.

On 10/20/2024 at 2:21 PM, sfcityduck said:

Link?

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/series/148041/harvey-horrors-collected-works-chamber-of-chills

https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-Horrors-Collected-Chamber-Chills/dp/184863160X

However, let me say that I was working under the assumption that the Kremer layouts shared earlier by @adamstrange were included in this archive - is that true @adamstrange?  The amazon reviews make me wonder.

Caveat Emptor.

On 10/20/2024 at 7:51 PM, kent allard said:

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/series/148041/harvey-horrors-collected-works-chamber-of-chills

https://www.amazon.com/Harvey-Horrors-Collected-Chamber-Chills/dp/184863160X

However, let me say that I was working under the assumption that the Kremer layouts shared earlier by @adamstrange were included in this archive - is that true @adamstrange?  The amazon reviews make me wonder.

Caveat Emptor.

By "archive" I was referring to what the Harvey publisher had saved, which was much of the original art and stacks of comics (i.e. Harvey File Copies). 

These were sold back in the 80s as one big lot.

On 10/20/2024 at 12:45 PM, Professor K said:

Agree

Spot on!

We could only wish, though I wonder how good they would really be in this genre.  They were certainly excellent artists, but one needs to be a bit twisted to be able to create some of the classics

On 10/20/2024 at 5:13 PM, buttock said:

This is one of those things that someone says that's just so wrong you don't even know where to start when addressing it.  Go to atlastales.com and look up PCH covers by Everett and then come back.  I'm not trying to be rude, but you're so far out in left field you can grab a beer and hot dog, maybe even find you car.  

THANK YOU!  I freely admitted to not being familiar with the scope of his work and take no offense :)

I will check out the link eagerly ...

On 10/20/2024 at 5:19 PM, kent allard said:

THANK YOU!  I freely admitted to not being familiar with the scope of his work and take no offense :)

I will check out the link eagerly ...

On 10/20/2024 at 5:13 PM, buttock said:

This is one of those things that someone says that's just so wrong you don't even know where to start when addressing it.  Go to atlastales.com and look up PCH covers by Everett and then come back.  I'm not trying to be rude, but you're so far out in left field you can grab a beer and hot dog, maybe even find you car.  

@buttock, that site is amazing, but overwhelming.  Don't see how to filter down his huge body of work to the genre of interest.  Remember, I acknowledge Everett to be a great artist in general but I'm focusing on a very limited type of art.

Can you help me make better use of the site with appropriate filters?