• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading shenanigans at CGC?
9 9

387 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2024 at 3:51 PM, lou_fine said:

That's the same thinking that I used to have and probably still do to a certain extent, but I have been told by many others that the graders do NOT know the specific tier that a book has been submitted in and hence in theory, simply grade the book that's in front of them irrespective of the tier that it was submitted in. hm  (shrug) 

If I submit an UV book that's a modern, I can also submit a silver age UV in that same submission. I'm 95% certain most graders do specific tiers, so there has to be specialized graders who can grade across the spectrum. Likely the senior graders. They're not going to give the new guys tier tier books.

On 10/20/2024 at 11:27 AM, Gaard said:

Two questions to ponder ...

1) If that 12/21 submission was submitted by one of us, would we have gotten as many (or any) 9.9s?

2) If any of those 9.9s were cracked out and resubmitted, would they come back as 9.9s?

Here's another question to ponder:

What are the chances that this "miracle 9.9 submission"........with nobody on the CGC grading and encapsulation line knowing who submitted them.......somehow........by pure chance, of course..........miraculously left their facilities with perfectly flat and straight inner wells inside their cases?

My guess is 100 percent.

On 10/20/2024 at 4:00 PM, Tnexus said:

If I submit an UV book that's a modern, I can also submit a silver age UV in that same submission. I'm 95% certain most graders do specific tiers, so there has to be specialized graders who can grade across the spectrum. Likely the senior graders. They're not going to give the new guys tier tier books.

:applause:

97d8qo.jpg

:D

On 10/20/2024 at 4:51 PM, Tnexus said:

I think you could influence a grade if you're submitting comics to a higher tier. If you're submitting a $100 comic in the $1000 tier, you could potentially bias the grader by making them think the comic is worth the higher tier's costs in the first place. paying a bunch of extra money to insure you get the grades you want.

I feel like that if an independent data analytics team got a hold of CGC's census data and was able to create a scatter plot of all submissions with at least 1 9.9 in the submission that we would find out that submissions with MULTIPLE 9.9s would definitely be outliers and also that those submissions would be linked to a small subset of accounts (if you know what I'm saying).

On 10/21/2024 at 2:10 PM, uncannyjames said:

I feel like that if an independent data analytics team got a hold of CGC's census data and was able to create a scatter plot of all submissions with at least 1 9.9 in the submission that we would find out that submissions with MULTIPLE 9.9s would definitely be outliers and also that those submissions would be linked to a small subset of accounts (if you know what I'm saying).

It would be closely associated with comic stores who send in hundreds of square bound books that are brand new and have never been opened. 

On 10/21/2024 at 11:32 AM, skybolt said:

To your point, if this person had received one or two 9.9 grades with this submission, I highly doubt anyone would bat an eye. 

I only found it because several of the 9.9s hit the current auction at the same time, and I noticed a few of them were from the same submission so I looked more closely. 

Any submission with a 9.9 or 10 could be open to scrutiny since it is so easy to check out the rest of the submission using the certification lookup tool. 

• Administrator

This invoice was graded and QC’d by our senior team of graders.  The 9.9’s are legit.  As shown in the images, these are exceptionally nice books. Regarding the two examples with different grades shown in the online images, the grades were reassessed by the senior grading team during the QC step, but the original images were not replaced. This has been rectified.

On 10/21/2024 at 2:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

This invoice was graded and QC’d by our senior team of graders.  The 9.9’s are legit.  As shown in the images, these are exceptionally nice books. Regarding the two examples with different grades shown in the online images, the grades were reassessed by the senior grading team during the QC step, but the original images were not replaced. This has been rectified.

Hi Mike, so if I understand correctly, the two books with different grades were initially graded as 9.9's and then encapsulated in their holders/slabs and photographed.  But the senior graders had a second look and thoughts after the encapsulation process (during QC) and decided they would drop them up to 9.8's while assessing them in their then 9.9 slabs?  I guess I was not knowledgeable about the QC steps after grading and that it allowed for the senior graders to re-evaluate grades while the books were already in their fresh newly graded CGC slabs.  Thanks for the update.   

Edited by mosconi

On 10/21/2024 at 6:13 PM, mosconi said:

Hi Mike, so if I understand correctly, the two books with different grades were initially graded as 9.8's and then encapsulated in their holders/slabs and photographed.  But the senior graders had a second look and thoughts after the encapsulation process (during QC) and decided they would bump them up to 9.9's while assessing them in their 9.8 slabs?  I guess I was not knowledgeable about the QC steps after grading and that it allowed for senior graders to still change grades while the books were already in their fresh newly graded slabs.

I think he meant the opposite. The initial grader graded them as 9.9's and they were imaged that way. Once the senior graders QC'd them, they decided they were 9.8's. At least I think. The statement about the 9.9's being legit was in reference to the other 9 books.

Edited by skybolt

On 10/21/2024 at 4:15 PM, skybolt said:

I think he meant the opposite. The initial grader graded them as 9.9's and they were imaged that way. Once the senior graders QC'd them, they decided they were 9.8's. At least I think. 

Thanks I just edited my post