• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Secret Wars 8
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I recently started looking through the comics I had growing up and I'm thinking about getting some of them graded, mostly because I wanted to display them. The comics have been bagged and boarded and in boxes since the late 90s when I stopped collecting. I'm probably starting with this issue and wanted to get an idea of the kind of grade it would receive.

sw8-1.jpeg

sw8-5.jpeg

sw8-2.jpeg

sw8-3.jpeg

sw8-4.jpeg

sw8-6.jpeg

sw8-7.jpeg

sw8-8.jpeg

On 10/18/2024 at 5:48 PM, timfinz said:

With a clean and press this book should achieve a 9.8 IMHO barring any hidden damages or blemishes. Great looking copy!

Thanks for sharing!

I hadn't thought of doing a clean and press, but now I'll look into it. Is it preferred to do it through CGC or do people normally do that locally?

On 10/18/2024 at 6:05 PM, Artboy99 said:

it isn't clear if the bend at the top left breaks color or not?

There are also quite a few spine ticks.

The top left bend doesn't seem to break color (I can't really tell, my eyes suck!) - it's hard to see the bend at most angles.

sw8-9.JPEG

sw8-10.JPEG

sw8-11.JPEG

Edited by hupspring

On 10/18/2024 at 9:16 PM, hupspring said:

I hadn't thought of doing a clean and press, but now I'll look into it. Is it preferred to do it through CGC or do people normally do that locally?

This is probably a “your mileage may vary” question. I believe the common opinion is that CGC pressing is basic, which is probably fine for the defects on this book. One advantage is that the press occurs after shipping, and as close to the grading stage as possible. Local pressers can be better or worse, and you’ll need to check their reputation.