• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to talk about San Diego Comicon 2006?

246 posts in this topic

How'd you get your hotel reservations, through Wyndham? And may I ask how much?

I went through Wyndham, which was expensive. But, certainly cheaper than original art! Have to keep things in perspective, you know smile.gif

Took the Best Western also, think it averaged $124 a night plus tax from Orbitz.

After years of wanting to go to SDCC, and never quite making it, I'm finally going! Booked my flight and hotel reservations last night. I'll be staying at the Wyndham, which apparently is walking distance to the convention center.

So, whatever dinners are being planned, count me in!!!

I stayed there last year. It's a nice place, but the walk is longer than you think. This year I'm staying at the San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina, which is right next to the convention center.

I couldn't get the Marriot. frown.gif Ended up getting the Wyndham too. Have to cancel my Best Western backup plan now. It's quite a trek, but they have the free shuttles. Also, it was $157/night, and the closer hotels were closer to $200 (although I would have paid it if I could have gotten them). I had the Hilton Gaslamp last year, and the cost was worth it, being right across the street. I'm just glad I'm confirmed at a nice hotel. Now, time to save up. Only 22 weeks to save.

I'll just cab it in from the Westin or walk. whatever.

You won't need a cab, nor will you want one. At most you'll maybe take one of those bicycle cabs.

Yeah, with your Comicon badge, you can catch a free shuttle. They stop at all the major hotels, probably once every 15 min or so.

We're at the Marriott.

I wanted us to stay as close as possible to the convention center given that it's going to be a LOOONGG Con. (First time setting up at Comic-Con... Been there many, many,many times as a visitor, just never as an exhibitor.)

after losing my spot at the Westgate while trying to find a free flight, i had to book at the Radisson Harbor View way up on Front Street. still only a mile walk from the convention center in San Diego in july, and we do so love to walk.............

and don't even get me started on Continental or Delta frequent flyer programs. you can't get a standard 25,000 mile free trip on Delta at all, and continental isn't much better. (and don't even think about a standard 1st class roundtrip for 50,000 miles...................)

i can still hardly believe that i managed to get 2 nonstop 1st class tix to Cancun for the standard 120,000 airmiles in 2 weeks.......... cloud9.gif (the bride needs a vacation............she works, ya know..........)

Got a room at the Hyatt this morning, thanks to my personal travel agent, Melissa Li!

We'll be neighbors then, I also booked my room today at the Manchester Grand Hyatt which was definitely my first choice. I've stayed there five times before but I couldn't get to it in time the last two years, so it'll be great to be going back. I love this place, along with the Marriott, as these two are right on the water and make a nice little one or two block walk to the con each day. 14th year in a row here. cloud9.gif

I'll just cab it in from the Westin or walk. whatever.

I stayed at the Westin last year, great place. If it is the Westin Horton Plaza then it is a very easy 6 or 7 block walk to the convention center which passes by a large grocery store, perfect for loading up on better munchies than they sell at the con. No need for a taxi or shuttle from this place.

Hmm, me again, I think it's a new record, three posts in a row.

Just out of curiosity I checked to see what rooms were left in the San Diego Comic-Con system. For my results (nonsmoking, two people, two beds, Wed.-Sun.) there were NO rooms left in ANY hotel. Nada. If anyone else still needs to book, hopefully you may find a single somewhere or a different night combination. I think they even sold out faster this year than last year. I imagine there has got to be more hotels as well that are not listed on the con site. www.hotels.com may be a good place to look. I've used that site before and it works quite well.

Just out of curiosity I checked to see what rooms were left in the San Diego Comic-Con system. For my results (nonsmoking, two people, two beds, Wed.-Sun.) there were NO rooms left in ANY hotel. Nada. If anyone else still needs to book, hopefully you may find a single somewhere or a different night combination. I think they even sold out faster this year than last year. I imagine there has got to be more hotels as well that are not listed on the con site. www.hotels.com may be a good place to look. I've used that site before and it works quite well.

Just because it says there are no more reservations doesn't mean some won't open up between now and then. Many people book reservations and then cancel before the con. So room will become available eventually for some.

Just because it says there are no more reservations doesn't mean some won't open up between now and then. Many people book reservations and then cancel before the con. So room will become available eventually for some.

That's true, but I believe there is a waiting list that you can sign up for to take advantage of any new openings or cancellations. Anyone without a room should get on there first thing.

Hotels reserve blocks of rooms.. but that doesn't mean that they don't have other rooms or last minute cancellations, etc. The Con isn't the only game in town.

I've gotten other rooms at hotels on the first day of the Con. (We had the worst experience at the Hotel San Diego many years ago and refused to stay there. It was literally the worst hotel room I've ever seen.) I think they were taken off the list the next year.

Too bad too since that was the original location of the San Diego Comic-Con.

after losing my spot at the Westgate while trying to find a free flight, i had to book at the Radisson Harbor View way up on Front Street. still only a mile walk from the convention center in San Diego in july, and we do so love to walk.............

and don't even get me started on Continental or Delta frequent flyer programs. you can't get a standard 25,000 mile free trip on Delta at all, and continental isn't much better. (and don't even think about a standard 1st class roundtrip for 50,000 miles...................)

i can still hardly believe that i managed to get 2 nonstop 1st class tix to Cancun for the standard 120,000 airmiles in 2 weeks.......... cloud9.gif (the bride needs a vacation............she works, ya know..........)

So you'll be at SD, Harry? Excellent! Will look forward to meeting you. Do you think you can slip us in for an early bird dinner special? poke2.gif