• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way To Store CGC Books

62 posts in this topic

Hmmm. You can't store them upright, vertically, or in any fashion that an edge touches something. Maybe I should hang mine with a series of strings & pulleys so that they are suspended in the air 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

yeah, use the force Luke..

Hmmm. You can't store them upright, vertically, or in any fashion that an edge touches something. Maybe I should hang mine with a series of strings & pulleys so that they are suspended in the air 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I could only get that UV proof, airless, anti-gravity chamber working... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

tongue.gif

confused.gif Wha? What book? frown.gif

It was "only" a Ghosts 17 in 9.0 and I put a 2" spine rip in it. I didn't notice one of the sharp edges of the inner well after cutting the top off. 893censored-thumb.gif

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yep, that book. Hey, I did my part!!!!

The best way to store CGC books is to break them out of the slab and put them in mylar w/ board.

BINGO! thumbsup2.gif That's what I do!

Did you crack this out yet

poke2.gif

1088297-archiesmadhouse2.jpg

Yep, that book. Hey, I did my part!!!!

frustrated.gif

Well, since I'm clogging the hard drives of the boards, I might as well answer the question posed:

I currently store my CGC books in the CGC boxes sold by eGerber/ComicSupply...since I don't move them around I don't think I'm going to be personally responsible for the SCS...the deed would've already been done by the time I get them back. I treat the books like a wired bomb.

The best way to store CGC books is to break them out of the slab and put them in mylar w/ board.

BINGO! thumbsup2.gif That's what I do!

Did you crack this out yet

poke2.gif

1088297-archiesmadhouse2.jpg

poke2.gif ? 27_laughing.gif

I've never owned that book. In fact, if you read that other post, I submitted a picture of the EBAY auction, complete with the high bidder.

So poke2.gif indeed!

flowerred.gif

They should be stored so that they don't move. They should never be shipped to protect against slab damage and they should never be slabbed also to protect against slab damage.

Slab damaged shipped protect damaged shipped slabbed stored damage. What the hell you saying here bub?

I store mine upright, and have seen no evidence of gravity having any affect on them, other than preventing them from floating away. Several of my books have been in the same spot for 5+ years, with no change whatsoever.

I'm also looking into some nice wooden cabinets here in Japan that have multiple shallow drawers that would be excellent for flat storage.

I should try to get some pics and post them on here soon.

I picked this up in Japan. It has 18 shallow drawers that hold 36 CGC books.

1095269-comicdrawer.JPG

1095269-comicdrawer.JPG.02f905455c3ebd68ad835b27590380f4.JPG

I think that CGC books are best stored with the spine facing down :

th_7eeae3.jpg

But this requires deep closets, which are not so easily found.

Storing CGC books upright might result in damage over time because of the bottom edge of the book being pinched in between the narrow part of the inner well. Dan (Timulty) may develop on this. But I personnally haven't witnessed this kind of phenomenon thus far. juggle.gif

And if you store the books just tight enough, they won't collapse :

th_4ffe8a.jpg

I'm also looking into some nice wooden cabinets here in Japan that have multiple shallow drawers that would be excellent for flat storage.

I should try to get some pics and post them on here soon.

I picked this up in Japan. It has 18 shallow drawers that hold 36 CGC books.

1095269-comicdrawer.JPG

Thank you for posting a pick of this. I've been trying to describe these types of cabinets here to people but didn't have a pic of one. They really do make nice storage cabinets for CGC comics. thumbsup2.gif

Thank you for posting a pick of this. I've been trying to describe these types of cabinets here to people but didn't have a pic of one. They really do make nice storage cabinets for CGC comics. thumbsup2.gif

My wife uses ours for her collection of sheet music. Very convenient. (At times at antique malls, you can find some oversized ones used to store maps).

When I buy a slabbed comic, it usually has fingerprints on it. So I take it to the back yard and hose it down real good. Then I dry it with a high quality chamois. After that, I leave it out in the sun for a few hours to make sure it's absolutely dry.

Then I put it with the others in the freezer in my garage. I keep it at least 10 degrees below zero at all times. The low temperature is absolutely essential!

When I want to look at a book, it usually has a coating of frost on it. So I preheat the oven to 200 degrees (no higher, or you will melt the slab!), then put it in there for about 5 minutes. This gets the frost off real good.

I highly recommend this for all slabbed books.

hi.gif

I store mine upright, and have seen no evidence of gravity having any affect on them, other than preventing them from floating away. Several of my books have been in the same spot for 5+ years, with no change whatsoever.

How many slabs do you have and have you checked them all?

I started storing all my slabs flat after about 18 months storing them upright. After this time several of the books had not only gravitated to the bottom of the inner well, but were being pushed against those horrible corner bumps. 893whatthe.gif

No way was I prepared to leave them that way any longer.