• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sfilosa starts to cash out.

218 posts in this topic

I'm going to be selling most of my Marvels but not the GA stuff that I collect that is impossible to find. Therefore, I will still be collecting.

I am hoping that over the next decade, the job position I'm in will allow me to accumulate the type of wealth to purchase significant runs of GA and SA high graded books, all at one time.

Steve;

Although I personally agree with your move here since I am primarily a GA collector, it seems strange since it goes counter to what most HG SA collectors and the board members normally think.

Most collectors seem to feel that HG SA is still the place to be in terms of future price appreciation, whereas GA has nowhere to go but down as the older generation leaves the hobby.

If this is what most collectors think I have the exact opposite take. GA has much more room to appreciate, and the GA collector population will grow as all the MA/BA/SA collectors see how cool GA is while they realize the books they've been collecting are abundant and represent almost no challenge to collect. One thing that deters people from collecting GA is the lack of knowledge of these books. As the fervent MA/BA/SA collectors stay in the hobby, they begin to acquire the knowledge base to make informed decisions about GA buys (not to mention learning a lot other cool things about GA). The difficulty in understanding GA then begins to be a big part of its appeal, and you find yourself truly interested in comics and their history and less concerned about investments and label chasing. I think the potential for this is great, as I have seen the transformation of several on these boards, and many others have the same make-up (smart, passionate about comics, get bored when something no longer is a sufficient challenge) and will likely convert.

Not trying to be polarizing here, I like SA and BA and understand passion for it, just see a lot more in GA.

I'm going to be selling most of my Marvels but not the GA stuff that I collect that is impossible to find. Therefore, I will still be collecting.

I am hoping that over the next decade, the job position I'm in will allow me to accumulate the type of wealth to purchase significant runs of GA and SA high graded books, all at one time.

Steve;

Although I personally agree with your move here since I am primarily a GA collector, it seems strange since it goes counter to what most HG SA collectors and the board members normally think.

Most collectors seem to feel that HG SA is still the place to be in terms of future price appreciation, whereas GA has nowhere to go but down as the older generation leaves the hobby.

If this is what most collectors think I have the exact opposite take. GA has much more room to appreciate, and the GA collector population will grow as all the MA/BA/SA collectors see how cool GA is while they realize the books they've been collecting are abundant and represent almost no challenge to collect. One thing that deters people from collecting GA is the lack of knowledge of these books. As the fervent MA/BA/SA collectors stay in the hobby, they begin to acquire the knowledge base to make informed decisions about GA buys (not to mention learning a lot other cool things about GA). The difficulty in understanding GA then begins to be a big part of its appeal, and you find yourself truly interested in comics and their history and less concerned about investments and label chasing. I think the potential for this is great, as I have seen the transformation of several on these boards, and many others have the same make-up (smart, passionate about comics, get bored when something no longer is a sufficient challenge) and will likely convert.

Not trying to be polarizing here, I like SA and BA and understand passion for it, just see a lot more in GA.

thumbsup2.gif

Obviously, I tend to agree with these sentiments, most notably the "thrill of the hunt" angle. The other thing to keep in mind is that given the huge appreciation in SA and BA prices since CGC's inception, GA books (which have not shown near the same escalation in prices, CGC or no) appear to be relative bargains. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Steve;

thumbsup2.gif

Obviously, I tend to agree with these sentiments, most notably the "thrill of the hunt" angle. The other thing to keep in mind is that given the huge appreciation in SA and BA prices since CGC's inception, GA books (which have not shown near the same escalation in prices, CGC or no) appear to be relative bargains. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very well stated, WHJ. I'm someone that started doing a bit of everything, but then, as comic prices escalated over the last 2 decades, I chose to collect in the more unusual areas as I found it more interesting and challenging. I still maintain that it's awfully hard to predict comic prices (up, down, sideways, or counterclockwise), but I'm happy with what I collect and figure that's the best way to do things.

thumbsup2.gif

I've always been a Marvel fan and at some point will probably try to put an ASM/X-Men/Avengers run together. However, at this point I just don't see the need. I'm not an uber HG collector, so even if I start putting these runs together it'll be in 8.0/8.5 range. As Whomerjay stated, these issues are way more abundant than their GA counterparts, and can be had at any given time at the right price.

sounds like another wrinkle to the CGC effect and the census. Time was, youd go to a convention and buy some really nice looking Marvels to fill your runs, not knowing how mant more might be there, You'd hold a 8.5, or 9.2 (which looked they MUST be some of the best copies around!!) in your hands and say "yeah!" and bring it home to add to your HG run. Now, those books are not only FAR removed from the 9.8s and 9.6s that litter the census, but exist in verifyable numbers that make buying them a low priority!

So interesting how the CGC experiment keeps altering the landscape.

I wish Steve all the best on these sales but so far they do not look too brisk. Seems like almost everything high grade has been listed in the past 3-4 months. Multiple runs of ASM, J.I.M., Rosa Collection, GA and SA runs and now this. Personally I'm just wondering what's going on in the market because it seems like one big player after another is cashing out.

I wish Steve all the best on these sales but so far they do not look too brisk. Seems like almost everything high grade has been listed in the past 3-4 months. Multiple runs of ASM, J.I.M., Rosa Collection, GA and SA runs and now this. Personally I'm just wondering what's going on in the market because it seems like one big player after another is cashing out.

I agree, there has been a lot of major stuff coming to the market so it seems like it will be hard for collectors to absorb it all.

wish Steve all the best on these sales but so far they do not look too brisk. Seems like almost everything high grade has been listed in the past 3-4 months. Multiple runs of ASM, J.I.M., Rosa Collection, GA and SA runs and now this. Personally I'm just wondering what's going on in the market because it seems like one big player after another is cashing out.

I'm not to worry about the sales at this time (especially on the early more expensive issues). About 12 or 13 of the TTA's are pre-sold. Plus, a few buyers were interested in a lot more books but wanted a little discount or to do time payments.

Most likely, after all have been listed for a week, whatever is left I will listen to discount / time payment plan offers.

Regarding lots of big time collectors cashing out, there is definitely some of that going on but there are new buyers. One person would have bought almost everyone of the TTA's from 60 up for a small discount and payment plan. I believe Doug said this buyer had never bought anything off his website before.

wish Steve all the best on these sales but so far they do not look too brisk. Seems like almost everything high grade has been listed in the past 3-4 months. Multiple runs of ASM, J.I.M., Rosa Collection, GA and SA runs and now this. Personally I'm just wondering what's going on in the market because it seems like one big player after another is cashing out.

I'm not to worry about the sales at this time (especially on the early more expensive issues). About 12 or 13 of the TTA's are pre-sold. Plus, a few buyers were interested in a lot more books but wanted a little discount or to do time payments.

Most likely, after all have been listed for a week, whatever is left I will listen to discount / time payment plan offers.

Regarding lots of big time collectors cashing out, there is definitely some of that going on but there are new buyers. One person would have bought almost everyone of the TTA's from 60 up for a small discount and payment plan. I believe Doug said this buyer had never bought anything off his website before.

That "new buyer" was probably me...I just bought a few of the earlier issues and would have bought the lot (from 59 on) had there been time payments...I look forward to seeing what's left of the pedigrees...sad to hear the 93 is already gone...that was next on my list...I am glad some of the older collectors are cashing out...that gives me, a "new" collector the opportunity to get some of these books!!! thumbsup2.gif

That "new buyer" was probably me...I just bought a few of the earlier issues and would have bought the lot (from 59 on) had there been time payments...I look forward to seeing what's left of the pedigrees...sad to hear the 93 is already gone...that was next on my list...I am glad some of the older collectors are cashing out...that gives me, a "new" collector the opportunity to get some of these books!!!

Congrats on getting some great books. If you are the one that talked / emailed Doug, I'm sure we can work out some deals on some later issues with either a slight discount or time payments. As I stated, after about a week of them being listed, I will start listening to offers regarding package deals. Feel free to email me or Doug.

Just so you know, I was very picky on the books that I bought. Only the White Mountain's have any type of writing / date stamp on the front cover, they are almost all perfectly centered and also importantly, I look for whites to look white (i.e. not yellow either on the front cover or back cover). I can also say that I did not have any of these books pressed (for those that matters to).

welcome to the boards! Have you been collecting long? What are your goals? besides having fun!

I collected comic books from about 1985 until about 1995...I mostly acquired garbage and have boxes of New Warriors, Darkhawk, Guardians of the Galaxy etc...I also collected Valiant...got in early, so I didn't pay a lot except for my Magnus 12 (90)...I then started collecting Magic the Gathering when it first came out. I was also a player (I still play sealed deck tourneys when the new sets come out) so it was a lot of fun seeing my Beta Black Lotus skyrocket in value. I just got into too many things at once with comics, baseball cards, autographs, collectible toys (the 90's Star Wars POF figures were very kind to me (especially the Fan Club figures and Leia in the slave girl outfit 893applaud-thumb.gif)

I stopped collecting pretty much everything to get married, have kids, and buy a house.

In the last year I got back into collecting and decided to just stick to silver and bronze keys and certain runs in only high grade. I got burned a few times on ebay with "NM" books that were VG's and have decided to stick to CGC graded books until I know who I can trust as far as grades. I buy and sell under the name billandedsdeals on ebay.

As for my collecting goals...right now it's just TTA issues 59-101 pedigreed in 9.4 or better.

That should keep me busy for a while and after that Hulk 1-6 8.0 or better and 102-145 9.6 or better.

I apologize if this is sign-offtopic.gif but just wanted to answer the question!!

I have learned more about comics in 2 months on these boards than I learned in 20 years of collecting... thumbsup2.gif

That "new buyer" was probably me...I just bought a few of the earlier issues and would have bought the lot (from 59 on) had there been time payments...I look forward to seeing what's left of the pedigrees...sad to hear the 93 is already gone...that was next on my list...I am glad some of the older collectors are cashing out...that gives me, a "new" collector the opportunity to get some of these books!!!

Congrats on getting some great books. If you are the one that talked / emailed Doug, I'm sure we can work out some deals on some later issues with either a slight discount or time payments. As I stated, after about a week of them being listed, I will start listening to offers regarding package deals. Feel free to email me or Doug.

Just so you know, I was very picky on the books that I bought. Only the White Mountain's have any type of writing / date stamp on the front cover, they are almost all perfectly centered and also importantly, I look for whites to look white (i.e. not yellow either on the front cover or back cover). I can also say that I did not have any of these books pressed (for those that matters to).

I asked about the pressing and cleaning 27_laughing.gif...I have some of the same requirements set that was why I was willing to purchase those books...I have seen some others that were cheaper, but not as high quality...thanks!!! The books have come to a good home... yay.gif

I will definitely be talking to you after the week is up...thanks again!!!

welcome to the boards! Have you been collecting long? What are your goals? besides having fun!

I collected comic books from about 1985 until about 1995...I mostly acquired garbage and have boxes of New Warriors, Darkhawk, Guardians of the Galaxy etc...I also collected Valiant...got in early, so I didn't pay a lot except for my Magnus 12 (90)...I then started collecting Magic the Gathering when it first came out. I was also a player (I still play sealed deck tourneys when the new sets come out) so it was a lot of fun seeing my Beta Black Lotus skyrocket in value. I just got into too many things at once with comics, baseball cards, autographs, collectible toys (the 90's Star Wars POF figures were very kind to me (especially the Fan Club figures and Leia in the slave girl outfit 893applaud-thumb.gif)

I stopped collecting pretty much everything to get married, have kids, and buy a house.

In the last year I got back into collecting and decided to just stick to silver and bronze keys and certain runs in only high grade. I got burned a few times on ebay with "NM" books that were VG's and have decided to stick to CGC graded books until I know who I can trust as far as grades. I buy and sell under the name billandedsdeals on ebay.

As for my collecting goals...right now it's just TTA issues 59-101 pedigreed in 9.4 or better.

That should keep me busy for a while and after that Hulk 1-6 8.0 or better and 102-145 9.6 or better.

I apologize if this is sign-offtopic.gif but just wanted to answer the question!!

I have learned more about comics in 2 months on these boards than I learned in 20 years of collecting... thumbsup2.gif

no problem, and not off topic at all! Sounds like a plan! Its good to hear of a former collector coming back and willing to go after the best... Lots of discussion around here as to just what's going to happen in the future. Your experience is a solid vote against despair and doom...

After the Hulk, what s next? Hulk crossovers? Have you already read all these stories?

Surf,

Although it does seem like a major collection here and there is being offered for sale, I also see new guys coming into the marketplace, or shifting from one area to another (from Golden Age to Silver).

Steve is smart and knows he can always pick up these SA books in the future as they are out there (maybe not in 9.6/9.8 but in 9.0 to 9.4). It's certainly not about dumping books because of an impending crash. The market is as strong as ever and many of his books have pre-sold or are selling within a few days of being listed (his Daredevil, for example) at very strong multiples.

Sorry, Joe, the crash will have to wait a few decades imho!!

Hulk Fan,

Good to see you on the boards. I already listed your books (as sale pending) and they look even nicer than I remember!! The White mountains are particularly killer so enjoy!!

Also, as Steve has indicated, there is room on prices/time payments if you purchase some more so just lmk. These TTA's are so undervalued its scary. You won't be sorry as these comics are only goinf up in Guide for the next bunch of years.

It's nice to see new high grade Marvel collectors on the boards, BHF.

Doug