• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Key vs Key and the fanboy caught in the middle...

37 posts in this topic

to everyone

during your comics life as a fan you must have been exposed to the hard choices of chosing/picking up one key comic between a small group of 2 or 3 other keys.

what were those keys you've drooled in front of during your life time and which one (s) did you end up chosing?

in a battle between a giant size x-men n°1, an x-men 94 and a FF 48, which one would win your heart and why?

regards

in a battle between a giant size x-men n°1, an x-men 94 and a FF 48, which one would win your heart and why?

All grades being equal...the GSXM...because I had to sell mine frown.gif

GS X-Men everytime with the choices you've given... thumbsup2.gif

FF #48 may have swayed me until CGC came along and revealed how common the issue is in HG...

Jim

Not like GSXM # 1 is all that tough to locate in high grade....

Personally, as much as I love the FF, I don't think FF 48 by itself is the key that GSXM # 1 is. The storyline from FF # 48-50 as a whole is one of the most important and memorable from the entire Silver Age, so if you were to offer me a choice between those three books and say GSXM # 1 and X-Men # 94, I'll that the FF everytime.

And Jim is right....FF # 48 is a warehouse book. "Mint" copies were offered for sale by numerous dealers in the last two decades. It's incredibly common, and probably the single reason it isn't more of a $3,000+ book in 9.4 (like a later contemporary, ASM # 50, that introduced a memorable, but nearly as important character in the Kingpin).

FF #48, I have had and sold a bunch of the others, so for me it was never a big deal finding or having one, but I have yet to find this "over abundant copy" thats out there.

FF #48 may have swayed me until CGC came along and revealed how common the issue is in HG...

Weren`t you saying in another thread how useless the Census was? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I did for anyone using it to stratify their comic. When you use it to quantify the number of high grades, when you see it such abundance, it's golden...

Jim

Weren`t you saying in another thread how useless the Census was? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I did for anyone using it to stratify their comic. When you use it to quantify the number of high grades, when you see it such abundance, it's golden...

Jim

I'm pretty sure there's only one copy, and it's been resubbed hundreds of times.

X-Men #94. When I was starting out collecting, my friend had a nice copy and never let me forget it. Also, for the longest time, it was more coveted by the collecting populace than GSXM #1. It's also probably my favorite X-Men cover - that awesome image of the cackling Count Nefaria overlooking the destruction of the X-Men's Blackbird jet and everyone falling through mid-air in front of NORAD. Absolutely bloody brilliant. That rarely-used, sea-green color on the cover makes it stand out all the more.

X-Men #94. When I was starting out collecting, my friend had a nice copy and never let me forget it. Also, for the longest time, it was more coveted by the collecting populace than GSXM #1. It's also probably my favorite X-Men cover - that awesome image of the cackling Count Nefaria overlooking the destruction of the X-Men's Blackbird jet and everyone falling through mid-air in front of NORAD. Absolutely bloody brilliant. That rarely-used, sea-green color on the cover makes it stand out all the more.

I think the story in ASM 1 is better than AF 15, but that's not what determines the value.

FF# 48 has the best story by far!

Giant size is more key because of first new x-men!

Toss up between the two-depends how i feel on that particular day!

X-men #94 is a distant third! 94 is really a false key in my opinion! There are no first appearances it's just the first regular sized issue shame that greedy sellers were able to establish a premium on that one back in the early eighties! It should be worth no more than #95! But it does have a great cover!

Hey Pedro...

I'm torn between the 3 for different reasons...

Love the GSX #1 story! owned lots of copies.

Never, yes, never owned a X #94.

Love the FF #48 (Surfer is one of my faves). owned lots of copies.

Only reason i'm drawn to the #94 is i've never owned one. Other wise it's a toss up between the other 2....probably go with GSX #1 only because i haven't owned as many copies as FF #48, though i love the FF #48 cover more...so maybe the GSX #1....or maybe not 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't decide so i'll stay away from all 3.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Roy.

When I was a kid and both GSX #1 and #94 were $50 books (that I could never afford) I always coveted #94 more. My rationale was that you could complete a run without the GSX but not without the #94. Fast forward 20 years later, and I would pick the GSX #1 anyday. More of a key issue, I prefer the cover and I have no desire to complete an X-Men run anymore. smile.gif

Jim

I totally agree with an earlier poster. I have never understood why UXM 94 is a key issue. Yeah, it's the first new X-men in the regular series. But GSXM 1 should kill that every time. I mean, we are talking the first Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus. On top of the second Wolverine. That's just nutty.

That being said, I'm probably most desire the FF 48. Just phenomenal for its time.

After all that, I own both FF48 & GSXM 1. Still don't have a 94 and probably won't for awhile because it feels so overpriced.

Pat