• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HG Poll - What is Your Grail-Collecting Characteristic?

You Own a 9.8. A Nicer 9.8 Comes Up For Sale. Do You...  

135 members have voted

1. 1. You Own a 9.8. A Nicer 9.8 Comes Up For Sale. Do You...

19 posts in this topic

JC wrote:

Let's just say that I would NEVER pay the money for a CGC 9.9 or 10.0. At that point, I guarantee CGC would not be able to tell the difference upon resubmit. Just opening the book to do a page count, the encapsulation process, and shipping the book, would have dropped the grade anyway.

Those two are what I call "sucker grades".

ok - so forget about label chasing, how about this:

u own a 9.8. u see another 9.8 with better eye appeal - it's definitely a better book than the one u own.

u won't pay crazy money for a 9.9, but u would (and did) pay crazy money for a 9.8.

do u:

Unless my copy is a horrible copy (like where the miswrapping was so bad, you can see 1/2 an inch of the back cover on the front cover) and not being a person who does a lot of selling, I probrably would just keep the one I got. confused-smiley-013.gif

Once I have it in the grade I want, I don't even look at other copies. I move on...there are just too many books out there that I want to mess around with books that I already own. I would, however, sell my 9.8 and pick up a nice 9.4.

Option 2 - now have TWO 9.8 copies lol

CAL cool.gif

Q: What is better than having a high-grade copy of your grail?

A: Having TWO high-grade copies of your grail!

If it's a book I really like, then I'd rather have 2 copies at a slighlty lower grade than one copy in 9.8. For instance, I have four copies of ASM #300 in 9.6, but none in 9.8. I would rather have those 4 beautiful copies than 1 or maybe 2 copies in 9.8.

The length of time it's been on my wants list! 5 years or more and it gets promoted to a 'Grail'

On average it takes me more than 5 years to get copies of books I'm interested in. I've never tried to calculate it but it would probably be around 10 years. Occasionally that's due to price, but in the vast majority of cases I have to wait for someone to get tired of owning a copy and for me to be there when they sell it.

The length of time it's been on my wants list! 5 years or more and it gets promoted to a 'Grail'

Ive been looking for a true mint (cgc 9.8 perhaps) copy of GI JOE 21 for over 10 years. This qualifies it as a grail to me.

Ive been looking for a true mint (cgc 9.8 perhaps) copy of GI JOE 21 for over 10 years. This qualifies it as a grail to me.

...and you think changing your name is going to make us forget that? Do we need to be reminded EVERY DAY that you are looking for this book? tongue.gifpoke2.gif