• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dam60 NYC-Con Brief Report

14 posts in this topic

Guys - wanted to give a quick shout out and let you know about my thoughts on the NYC-Con.

I got there on Friday around 4ish when the doors were officially opening. Now I had been to the Javits before for stuff like Toy Fair, the Auto Show, and a Hospitality Industry Convention and the locale was great. The Javits center has tons of space and can accommodate a lot of people and exhibitors. Unfortunately, the NYC-Con only had one wing of the Javits center and that caused some problems on Saturday but I'm getting ahead of myself.

So Friday around 4 with my exhibitor badge and let me tell you, the show was already a flurry of exhibitors. This show had tons of different exhibitors - Artist's Alley was actually surprisingly small but there were plenty of independent publishers, DC and Marvel were in force, Diamond and Gemstone were there in force and there were a bunch of comic dealers but not as many as you would expect (due to megacon). I swung by the CGC booth where CGC had donated space for ACTOR and met up with Foolkiller and Bob (Namisgr? - sorry, not too familiar with the screen name). Jae Lee was signing and doing sketches and it was pretty sweet. Ran into Solar at the ACTOR table and we talked a bit. Jae Lee was done at 5:30 and that's when I did my first loop of the show. It was pretty neat - this was by far the biggest show that I have ever been to.

First off I stopped by SilverandBronze's table and got my commemorative NYC-Con Spider-Man tumbler. Props to Paul on busting his [embarrassing lack of self control] and making it work starting his own comic business. Then I ran into Delekkerste, and Lambert. I got to talk to Lambert at Spencer Beck's booth a bit - I didn't ask him, but I would assume that they had a great show. That area was hopping all day long. Walking the floor I ran into Steve Lauderbach who was telling me about a great collection he just picked up. I made my way back to ACTOR talked a bit to Kevin Boyd, Peter Dixon, AlexH, and Mitol who made the treck down. Before I knew it, the show was closing and then we were off to dinner.

I had a good time at dinner with Burntboy (he was set up selling some of his gorgeous books), Delekkerste, Bob, Foolkiller, Tomg, Arnold during wave 1 and then Peter Dixon, Kevin Boyd, Mitol, Gemma and Tim from Toronto with TomG for round 2. After dinner I went out for literally one drink before going home to pass out. A great first day.

Saturday was just nuts. I have never seen so many people at a show and with the narrow space in the aisles you could really feel the crowds. I can't confirm at what time they did it, but the fire department literally stopped people from coming into the convention hall (I heard as early as 11:30 for a show that is supposed to open at 11). There were literally waves of people as some guests left they let others in. The show was rocking all day long.

John Romita Sr and his lovely wife Virginia were the guests of honor for ACTOR and they raised a bunch of money as well as got tons of signature series books for fans from CGC. Mr. Romita is really a classy guy and I hope you all get the chance to talk to him one day. Mr. Romita signed from 11-12 and 4-5. At 5 his son JRJR stopped by and picked him up. It was cool to see them together. JRJR is just as classy as his dad. I didn't get a chance to talk to him much, but I met him at Jim Hanley's Universe when ASM 50? (don't remember, before the renumbering) came out. Class act the whole family.

So, besides hanging out at ACTOR I got to meet Peter Laird - of TMNT fame. I bought one of his reprint TMNT #1 books which he personalized to me and did a cool head sketch. I really respescect Mr. Laird and admire him for setting up his "scholarships" / awards whatever for independent publishers. It was definitely cool to meet him. I also got a copy of "Superman / Batman" tpb from Dexter Vines. I was a dollar short but he still sold it to me and pesonalized it. Thanks Dexter! Those two with the Toon Tumblers were my only purchases.

One thing that I want to mention is Brian and Mark Zaid did a great job with their panel discussion on a comic advocacy group. It speaks volumes to the respect that Brian and Mark have based on the caliber of people that showed up. JC Vaughn and Tom Gordon from Gemstone, Mark Haspel from CGC, noted dealers such as Marnin Rosenberg (only his second con appearance in literally the last 20 years), Bechara Maloof (sic, sorry), Steve Ritter and then several concerned collectors such as myslef, Bronze Bruce, Delekkerste, and many more who I hadn't previously met. I sincerely hope that this advocacy group can be successful.

So the day literally flew by and 7pm comes and off to dinner we go. We went to Korea Place for some Korean BBQ. This was really a stellar dinner with tons of OA guys and CGC guys and everyone had a great time.

It was great to see everyone and I am already looking forward to the next show! It can only get bigger and better,

DAM

Hey Dave great report, well here goes my small report. I showed at the can around 4pm thinking that things might have slowed down a bit, what was i thinking? I was promptly told that registration was closed, and i could not pre register for Sunday, so if you didn't have tickets aready you were screwed. At the entrance to the show i saw Foolkiller, and was about to have him take my books to CGC as i had no patience at the time. Fortunately they reopened the show a little while later, and i was able to register for Saturday, YAY!

I remember doing the Javits show with Fred Greenberg in the early 90's, but this show far blew that one away. I was shocked to see soo many people and publisher's, hopefully next time they can situate the comic dealers better.

CGCCrew.jpg[/img]

First order of duty was dropping my books off at CGC, which went smoothly with Gemma and Scott at the helm. Right next door was Dam60, and John Romita Sr. doing signing , what a treat, so i did a photo op with him.Nice Guy!!!

MeandJohnRomitaSr.jpg[/img]

Next off to check out Burntboy's collection, which seem to be doing quite well. We talked briefly about his sales, and the collection.

BurntboysCollection.jpg[/img]

I wandered around a bit looking for some bronze books on my short list, when i spotted an artist who was not set up, but one of my favorites, Carmine Infantino.

th_MeandCarmineInfantino.jpg[/url][/img]

Another artist at work that i have enjoyed his work, Gene Colan. When i asked to take his pic, he looked up at me and said " My goodness you have vibrant features, I wish i would had seen you when i was doing Blade!." My face shined with that compliment, and thanked him graciously.

GeneColan.jpg[/img]

Walked around and caught up with some dealers and board members on my search for a few books. Met up with BronzeBruce and had a very good talk, while waiting for FoolKiller and Dam60, to make our way over to the restaurant.

Forummembers.jpg[/img]

This pic shows Me and SilverandBronze in the back, BronzeBruce, Burntboy and Dam60.

The dinner was very pleasant, i liked the atomsphere between the Comic collector's and OA guys. Here is a pic of our well known Forum members, Burntboy and RedHook.

BurntboyandRedHook.jpg[/img]

And finally, me and Mike Kaluta after our brief talk.

MeandMikeKaluta.jpg[/img]

A big special thanks goes to Heartend for arranging the dinner. thumbsup2.gif

My goodness you have vibrant features, I wish i would had seen you when i was doing Blade!."

There's a customized title somewhere in that! poke2.gif

Excellent report, and thanks for all the pics! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey guys!

DAVE!

Great to see you again, if only for 10 minutes.

Saturday was crazy. I was supposed to hook up with Andrew (Buck Biggins) and got no cell reception in that place.

And then at the end of the night, it was too nuts, I lost cell reception all together.

I thought the show was till 8 pm, not 7 PM.

What I saw was a lot of dealers trying to sell WAY over graded raw books at highly inflated prices.

I spent most of my money with Steve Wyatt and another gentleman from MA (who's name escapes me...he had BOOKU comics for $2 and $3, and was undergrading stuff).

The nazis at the door kept shoving everyone out, and I had a professional badge. Didn't matter. My buddy and I had to sneak in...SNEAK BACK IN! After we went to a panel.

I think this show is going to be a hard sell for people next year if they feel like they'll need to wait in line for 3 hrs. to come BACK in after seeing a panel.

They were so unprepared for this event.

In fact the one stormtrooper at the door actually balled his raised fists to my buddy trying to come back after going out to the toilet.

That being said...I was really hoping to go out with the group for dinner, but had to run back to White Plains.

What's the next show...Philly Wiz World?

Rich