• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #3 (#2) 1940- grading opinions please

85 posts in this topic

Sure, I don't have a problem telling what I paid since I was real happy with the price. $1,200. I also bought a Cheerios set Y with DD's Atom Bomb pretty cheap and a bunch of misc. Golden age and Silver age in nice grades (at first glance- I just started my cataloging). Some nice early silver Flash, Brave & Bold, Showcase; GA horror, Dumbo Weekly #1 & 3-8 in binder, Blue Beetle #4 goldenage with marijuana story, & lots more. I was real happy with most of my purchases!

I got to get myself to estate sales in Nebraska. Damn, that's a nice haul. What GA horror?

CGC seems to take a less harsh view. The fact that they noted "rusty staple" and still gave it a blue universal should tell you something.

What color label should they give books with rusty staples? confused.gif

I read the 8.5 grade with a "rusty staple" note as a qualification on the 8.5 grade. So, the label should be green. Didn't CGC stop putting notes like this on labels because of these issues?

I'm sorry if this wasn't clear from the first post - I thought it led directly to this conclusion. From the responses by the other jokers, I can see assuming the ability to make simple inferences is a very suspect practice.

Stll looks like a 7.5 to me.I know of books with 2 rusted staples and has gotten vf and better.It really does look better than a fine

I cetainly agree with this statement, and would be looking for a price approaching a "market" VF price when selling this book, even if it came back 6.0-6.5. The technical grade is not the final answer.

Sure, I don't have a problem telling what I paid since I was real happy with the price. $1,200. I also bought a Cheerios set Y with DD's Atom Bomb pretty cheap and a bunch of misc. Golden age and Silver age in nice grades (at first glance- I just started my cataloging). Some nice early silver Flash, Brave & Bold, Showcase; GA horror, Dumbo Weekly #1 & 3-8 in binder, Blue Beetle #4 goldenage with marijuana story, & lots more. I was real happy with most of my purchases!

I got to get myself to estate sales in Nebraska. Damn, that's a nice haul. What GA horror?

here's a sneak peek at the horror books (I haven't cataloged/graded/scanned them yet)...

horror.jpg

It looks like the collector had good taste in comics! The ad for the auction said: Mrs. Higgenbottom is selling Mr. Higgenbottom's possessions. Mr. Higgenbottom has left the state".

Kind of funny.

I'll give it a 6.5 takeit.gif

I won't be disappointed with a blue 6.5!

It's in the mail to Sarasota! Hopefully in 2 weeks I'll have it back (Express tier) and I'll report back here with the grade. cool.gif

It has 7.0 eye appeal but that is before taking into account the rusted staples. I'd be curious to see how much rust migration has occurred and what damage if any has resulted on the interior pages. Looks like the top staple might be an issue.

There's probably no migration. It's not bad at all and the pages are NICE OW/W. I checked the center to make sure the staples were attached and it was perfect in there! I didn't bend the cover back to check the top staple area for migration, but I'm sure it's fine. it looks like minor rust on almost half the staple (not quite half). The bottom staple is shiny & like-new. There was no surface moisture stains anywhere.

Remember, you might be surprised who buys pre-code in The Marketplace, here off the boards.

I like the potential for over guide prices on ebay rather than to set prices influenced by the guide. You never know what is truly rare. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice...Is that Ghost Comics #3?

It's #6, 1953 (Fiction House) and the pic doesn't do the bondage cover justice. The scan will though once it hits the bay...

What do you think the grade is on the copy? popcorn.gif

Nice...Is that Ghost Comics #3?

It's #6, 1953 (Fiction House) and the pic doesn't do the bondage cover justice. The scan will though once it hits the bay...

What do you think the grade is on the copy? popcorn.gif

Skip eBay and sell Ghost 6 directly to me. I'll pay handsomely for it.