• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Great LB Cole photo, Andy! His covers do look so nice grouped together...the electric colors, bold compositions and even the cool logos really shine. Your collection is blazing along in a hurry!

Man, I missed some great posts today! Let's start here:

1266579-groupshot1POST.JPG

Great books, Ryan! thumbsup2.gif

I would love to know more about that Rex Dexter one-shot, as I've always been curious about it (and funny

enough, I came across a full-page ad for it in Fantastic Comics #10 earlier today which renewed my

curiosity). How are the stories inside? Is the art pretty generic, or do you recognize any of the more distinctive

artists from the other Fox titles?

Thanks Point Five!! I'm going to hold you to starting up that FOX cover thread! Unfortunately for me, all my FOX books appear in that photo, but I've got my eye on a few out there. The ones I do own, I am very happy with.

Re: the REX DEXTER one shot, if you start that FOX thread I'll take some pics of the interior (don't like scanning open books for obvious reasons) and post 'em. Its great... its got about four REX stories, all apparently by Briefer, but all ranging in style and quality, and all totally bizarre. It has a wonderful robot story, and a story about these jelly-fish-type disembodied heads which attempt to take over the earth (how REX defeats them is HI-larious). The remainder of the book is the PATTY O'DAY strip from Wonderworld (i think). All in all, its a great one shot, and affordable (my copy is pretty rough).

I'll be watching for the FOX thread!!

Thanks Point Five!! I'm going to hold you to starting up that FOX cover thread! Unfortunately for me, all my FOX books appear in that photo, but I've got my eye on a few out there. The ones I do own, I am very happy with.

Re: the REX DEXTER one shot, if you start that FOX thread I'll take some pics of the interior (don't like scanning open books for obvious reasons) and post 'em. Its great... its got about four REX stories, all apparently by Briefer, but all ranging in style and quality, and all totally bizarre. It has a wonderful robot story, and a story about these jelly-fish-type disembodied heads which attempt to take over the earth (how REX defeats them is HI-larious). The remainder of the book is the PATTY O'DAY strip from Wonderworld (i think). All in all, its a great one shot, and affordable (my copy is pretty rough).

I'll be watching for the FOX thread!!

Thanks very much for the synopsis, Ryan! You have a deal...I would love to see some photos of the interior, whatever you can easily do without damage to the book. It sounds like a great issue. Was this the first issue of a projected series that bombed (i.e. are there teasers for an issue #2), or do you think it was conceived as a one-shot?

I'll aim to kick off a Fox thread sometime this week. Thanks again. thumbsup2.gif

Finally getting around to posting some of my group shots. (More to follow!)

Here's a display of most of my GA DCs. All are technically low-grade, but I love 'em! I hope to add another early Superman book (or two) in the months to come...

dcs.jpg

Thank you, gents. I'm a big fan of the early Actions too. (I also have coverless copies of #15 & #16 with reproduction covers, but it seemed like "cheating" to include them!)

Here are my Schomburg covers. Given that I actively collected his covers for so many years, it's actually kind of funny to me that I only have six of them! I guess the ones I still want are just too pricey.

schomburgs.jpg

Great books you have there Point Five. How low of grades are we talking on your early Actions? You certainly picked some of the best Superman covers for your collection. #19, 40, & 59 are all high on my want list. Nice Schomburg covers too. thumbsup2.gif

Andy, this one's going out to you! My LB Coles:

lbcoles.jpg

AWESOME! hail.gif

Can you post a larger scan of the Startling Terror and the Secrets of Love? Man, there are just too many cool books with his covers that I want to buy. I need to get a romance cover next.

Secrets of Love? Man, there are just too many cool books with his covers that I want to buy. I need to get a romance cover next.

gossip.gif The official title to those books is Popular Teen-Agers, but you're right, it's generally listed as Secrets of Love on eBay. If you want one Cole Romance, I think one of the most striking is Confessions of Love # 14 -

1268990-CofLove14.jpg

1268990-CofLove14.jpg.984e643b4ac2e4eda0d22925a25f0a7f.jpg

Now you guys have got me hooked on those Blue Bolt Cole covers. Christo_pull_hair.gifcloud9.gif I need to find a nice #116 with that swamp dude on the ocver.

BB 114 has the swamp guy, I just bought one of those from Harley. Did you get your 116 in yet? Hope it turns out to be a legit VF+. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Now you guys have got me hooked on those Blue Bolt Cole covers. Christo_pull_hair.gifcloud9.gif I need to find a nice #116 with that swamp dude on the ocver.

BB 114 has the swamp guy, I just bought one of those from Harley. Did you get your 116 in yet? Hope it turns out to be a legit VF+. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Haven't received it yet but it sure looks like an VF+. I will slabb it shortly. cloud9.gif