• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

I've been meaning to post this picture, as a thank you to my friend Richard...thanks, Richard:) I know you like seeing the groups posted after I steal/bribe buy them:) :)

cracklot.jpg

Just not enough Crack on the boards. Nice books Sharon.

Couple of shots from the SoCal forum dinner...

Can you name all the players for us?

BTW, awesome books! I see several in there that would look just lovely in my collection. :)

hit general, they are listed there

Couple of shots from the SoCal forum dinner...

Can you name all the players for us?

BTW, awesome books! I see several in there that would look just lovely in my collection. :)

Jay (innocous), Mike, Comicgrinder, Cap Freak, and 40yrscollectingcomics aka Frank.

My collection of Feature Comics, featuring the Doll Man, keeps growing so I thought I'd post a few group shots. The skull cover on #80 is my favorite, but I really like the colors and design of all of them. Anyone else here like Features?

First row

#27 4.5 ow - 1st app Doll Man

#29 6.0 ow

#54 9.0 ow/w - Rockford

#80 9.4 ow

Second row

#86 9.4 w - San Francisco

#89 9.6 w - Mile High

#94 9.4 ow - Rockford

#95 9.6 w - Mile High

Third row

#98 9.4 ow/w - Mile High

#104 9.2 w - Mile High

#109 9.4 w - Mile High

#125 9.4 ow/w - Mile High

#127 9.4 ow/w - Mile High

Fourth row

#128 9.6 w - Mile High

#129 9.6 w - Mile High

#133 9.2 ow - Ohio

#139 9.4 cr/ow - Canadian variant, uses cover from US edition of #140

#140 9.2 ow - Mile High

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

My collection of Feature Comics, featuring the Doll Man, keeps growing so I thought I'd post a few group shots. The skull cover on #80 is my favorite, but I really like the colors and design of all of them. Anyone else here like Features?

First row

#29 6.0 ow

#54 9.0 ow/w - Rockford

#80 9.4 ow

Second row

#89 9.6 w - Mile High

#94 9.4 ow - Rockford

#95 9.6 w - Mile High

Third row

#98 9.4 ow/w - Mile High

#104 9.2 w - Mile High

#109 9.4 w - Mile High

Fourth row

#128 9.6 w - Mile High

#129 9.6 w - Mile High

#133 9.2 ow - Ohio

#140 9.2 ow - Mile High

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

lots of Peds... nice

First row

#29 6.0 ow

#54 9.0 ow/w - Rockford

#80 9.4 ow

Second row

#89 9.6 w - Mile High

#94 9.4 ow - Rockford

#95 9.6 w - Mile High

Third row

#98 9.4 ow/w - Mile High

#104 9.2 w - Mile High

#109 9.4 w - Mile High

Fourth row

#128 9.6 w - Mile High

#129 9.6 w - Mile High

#133 9.2 ow - Ohio

#140 9.2 ow - Mile High

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

lots of Peds... nice

Agreed! :applause:

Wow, what I find so fascinating about this shot is how long Dollman was an ongoing feature. What was his run in years? I have picked up a few Quality books over the last year from the Crippen collection and they have a nice feel to them, almost but not quite a DC.

It is also interesting to observe how Dollman was featured at a larger scale on some of those issues and then became more diminutive and finally dissapearing at the end of the run. Makes you wonder what editorial decisions drove that, although similar decisions were being made on the later issues of Green Lantern, Flash and other hero books.

Great collection, I am looking to pick up a National or Uncle Sam one of these days, any suggestions there?

First row

#29 6.0 ow

#54 9.0 ow/w - Rockford

#80 9.4 ow

Second row

#89 9.6 w - Mile High

#94 9.4 ow - Rockford

#95 9.6 w - Mile High

Third row

#98 9.4 ow/w - Mile High

#104 9.2 w - Mile High

#109 9.4 w - Mile High

Fourth row

#128 9.6 w - Mile High

#129 9.6 w - Mile High

#133 9.2 ow - Ohio

#140 9.2 ow - Mile High

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

gorgeous run RF (worship)

Almost 14 years. Doll Man is one of the longer running golden age features. His first appearance in Feature Comics #27 was published in December, 1939. He appeared in every issue through #139 in October, 1949. His own title, Doll Man, ran for 47 issues from Fall 1941 through October, 1953. So that's what, 160 issues total? That's a pretty impressive run, IMHO.

I personally really like the artwork in Quality books. There's the masters, Lou Fine, Will Eisner, Jack Cole, and Reed Crandall of course, but then the second stringers like Al Bryant and Chuck Cuidera are also really good.

As for the Uncle Sam appearances, I don't have any myself, but they're on my wishlist. :wishluck: The National Comics issues with him on the cover are popular right now, which means they're expensive. But if you go after some of Uncle Sam's own series, they're cheaper (except #1) and you get a full book of his stories. (thumbs u

Yes, those early Nationals seem pretty pricey.

I first got turned onto these stories when reading the DC 100 pagers of the early 70's which would reprint some of the Quality tales. I really dug Kid Eternity and just picked up my first issues earlier this year. There is a picture of that a few pages back in this thread on the table at the SoCal Forum dinner.

Has anyone ever published the story behind that DC buyout of Quality, I would like to read that someday.

Almost 14 years. Doll Man is one of the longer running golden age features. His first appearance in Feature Comics #27 was published in December, 1939. He appeared in every issue through #139 in October, 1949. His own title, Doll Man, ran for 47 issues from Fall 1941 through October, 1953. So that's what, 160 issues total? That's a pretty impressive run, IMHO.

I personally really like the artwork in Quality books. There's the masters, Lou Fine, Will Eisner, Jack Cole, and Reed Crandall of course, but then the second stringers like Al Bryant and Chuck Cuidera are also really good.

As for the Uncle Sam appearances, I don't have any myself, but they're on my wishlist. :wishluck: The National Comics issues with him on the cover are popular right now, which means they're expensive. But if you go after some of Uncle Sam's own series, they're cheaper (except #1) and you get a full book of his stories. (thumbs u

Nice summary. I read the Quality stories in the DC 100 pagers and there's good stuff especially in the Lou Fine (US, Ray, Black Condor), Jack Cole (Plas -- but they should have reprinted Midnight), Reed Crandall (Blackhawk) and Dollman stories.

That was a beautiful set of Feature Comics! :applause::applause: