• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Decided to give this a try. I think I need better lighting as the mylar reflects too much. Grabbed what I could get at for some groupings, enjoy...

Some "W" books

WBooksGroup.jpg

Some photo Westerns

PhotoWesternGroup.jpg

Some Avons and Things

ThingsGroup.jpg

Some Mag. is Haunted

MagIsHauntedGroup.jpg

Blue Bolt Weirds

BlueBoltWeirdGroup.jpg

More Random L.B. Cole books

ColeGroup.jpg

and finally some E.C.s

ECGroup.jpg

Beautiful group of pre-codes Jay.......even though I had seen them all before, there is something special about seeing such wonderful covers grouped together like that. Plus, they go nicely with that new tile flooring that you put down....finally. :baiting:

:grin:

PhotoWesternGroup.jpg

I loved seeing all those groups of comics, but what are those westerns doing in your collection? lol:baiting:

Have you tried reading any of the westerns?

They're extremely well written, as are most Dell comics.

Thanks BZ!

I haven't read these in about 18 years so I might have to again. I collected these as those photo covers reminded me of all those great TV shows I watched growing up. Nothing to do with horror, unless you make the connection that James Arness also played the monster from the Thing From Another World! :grin:

Beautiful group of pre-codes Jay.......even though I had seen them all before, there is something special about seeing such wonderful covers grouped together like that. Plus, they go nicely with that new tile flooring that you put down....finally. :baiting:

:grin:

Thanks, Scott, old books on a new floor = :cloud9:

Will we see some groups of your books anytime soon? hm

After looking at my post, I just realized that there is at least one book in every grouping (except for the Westerns) that was purchased from a board member here! :D

What a great place! :acclaim:

Nice books! I used to have a huge western collection. I wish I still had them.

I have a mini group shot today of 3 Christmas covers. The #117 will be going for a ride

next week so, I thought I would take this shot while I still had it.

groupshotof3christmascovers2.jpg

Nice! I used to try and collect GA Christmas when I first started but got ensnared in SA books before I got very far.

Nice books! I used to have a huge western collection. I wish I still had them.

I have a mini group shot today of 3 Christmas covers. The #117 will be going for a ride

next week so, I thought I would take this shot while I still had it.

groupshotof3christmascovers2.jpg

:applause:

Since I completed my St John needs I figured I'd post them as a group. As you can see St John's are tough to find in good shape. I mean I generally have a book or two in semi-nice shape but for these there are quite a few beat-up books, proof of 1) their scarcity and 2) that as I near completion I am jumping at the first copy available of books I need. St John's output is concentrated in: TerryToons and Romance books, kind of a specialty publisher if you wish. An in-depth analysis of the company is due in Alter Ego # 77 and there are also John Benson's 2 books: Romance without Tears that reprints St John romance stories and his follow-up book: Confessions, Romances, Secrets, and Temptations: Archer St John and the St John Romance Comics which I have yet to read even though it's been sitting on my bookshelf for the better part of a year. Ahhh, I wish I had more time -

51519-St-John-Group-Shot-1.jpg.306628df3b07bbaaacd6f8ea35aa5e33.jpg

51520-St-John-Group-Shot-2.jpg.ec01ec7f3fdda5826f6f0c8841a175ba.jpg

51521-St-John-Group-Shot-3.jpg.352d37fc77358fd3aa3e185df0823c5b.jpg

51522-St-John-Group-Shot-4.jpg.5f0bfac6c45f6827e60720a6a8b6e9ea.jpg

51523-St-John-Group-Shot-5.jpg.31debaaa96bc6e1810283d401d417f72.jpg

Since I completed my St John needs I figured I'd post them as a group. As you can see St John's are tough to find in good shape. I mean I generally have a book or two in semi-nice shape but for these there are quite a few beat-up books, proof of 1) their scarcity and 2) that as I near completion I am jumping at the first copy available of books I need. St John's output is concentrated in: TerryToons and Romance books, kind of a specialty publisher if you wish. An in-depth analysis of the company is due in Alter Ego # 77 and there are also John Benson's 2 books: Romance without Tears that reprints St John romance stories and his follow-up book: Confessions, Romances, Secrets, and Temptations: Archer St John and the St John Romance Comics which I have yet to read even though it's been sitting on my bookshelf for the better part of a year. Ahhh, I wish I had more time -

Nice :applause:

Great group!

I like the very clean animation-style drawing on Mighty Mouse. It almost has an Alex Toth look.

The Wartime Romance cover by Baker is wonderful! (Is it the most expensive of the group, or is finding these just plain luck without much correlation to price?)

Any comic book with a character called Ratface can't be too bad either.

Jack

Great group!

I like the very clean animation-style drawing on Mighty Mouse. It almost has an Alex Toth look.

The Wartime Romance cover by Baker is wonderful! (Is it the most expensive of the group, or is finding these just plain luck without much correlation to price?)

Jack

According to OSPG (a few years ago), in Fine, the most "valuable" is Authentic Police Cases and then Teen-Age Romances. The reality is that the Wartime Romances, Diary Secrets, and Pictorial Romances are probably the most sought-after in the current marketplace. As for $$ for my group, the most I paid was for the Fugitives from Justice (after all, it is a # 1 hence worth the premium :yeahok: ) $42.40. Cheapest was Mopsy, in fact the only one I paid less than $ 10 for. As for the Wartime Romance, I was blessed to find it at a mainly toy-booth at last year's Chicago show and got it for a reasonable $35. I can assure you that that book would have gone for more than that on eBay. :)