• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO ARE SOME OF THE WORST DEALERS

279 posts in this topic

Silver Acre Comics here in the UK. I sent them a list of books they said they're "actively buying!" (The website says: "Here at Silver Acre, we are actively buying all types of comics, collectibles and original art, from the early 1930's right through to comics that were produced just a couple of weeks ago.") Long story short, three weeks after I emailed, I got a one-word email saying, basically, go pound sand. I previously bought a book from them, horribly over-graded and brittle and got nowhere when I complained so I don't know what I thought might happen...why do dealers say they buy everything when they certainly do not...?

James

Silver Acre Comics here in the UK. I sent them a list of books they said they're "actively buying!" (The website says: "Here at Silver Acre, we are actively buying all types of comics, collectibles and original art, from the early 1930's right through to comics that were produced just a couple of weeks ago.") Long story short, three weeks after I emailed, I got a one-word email saying, basically, go pound sand. I previously bought a book from them, horribly over-graded and brittle and got nowhere when I complained so I don't know what I thought might happen...why do dealers say they buy everything when they certainly do not...?

James

check out this thread >

I just got royally screwed by an Englishman!

linky

Btw he's not Welsh (tsk)

Sounds to me like a Cockney market trader.... hm  'New York,  Paris, Peckham, Chester'.  Then again, I'm a northerner, so what do I know? (shrug)

James

check out this thread >

linky

banangetsit2.gif

James

check out this thread >

linky

Now I'm glad he jerked me around! Looks like there's another one to add to the "not even if he has an Action #1 at £10" list!

James

Does anybody ever notice that a few of the old time dealers come off angry and have no people skills? Stuff like no eye contact and why are you touching my books kind of attitude.

If they had good people skills, they wouldn`t be comic dealers. (shrug)

Thanks alot Tim. Love to be stereotyped. :makepoint:

Then you should have picked an honorable profession instead. hm

Honor has nothing to do with the profession. There are dishonorable people doing every job which has ever been created. It is the people that do the job that make it honorable or dishonorable.

There are alot more good people in this hobby than bad people.

you go Dale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody ever notice that a few of the old time dealers come off angry and have no people skills? Stuff like no eye contact and why are you touching my books kind of attitude.

I remember one comic mart in the early 90s - putting a small paper  bag of unboarded purchases on top of a dealer's boxes while chatting with a pal, only for maybe about a couple of minutes at most, and with no other potential customers anywhere near.  The dealer suddenly gets very irate, picks my bag up, flings it across six boxes down the row and shouts 'If you're not buying anything, get that rubbish off my stall!!!'

Never saw him again after that show.  Which was tragic. :cry::roflmao:

I remember one comic mart in the early 90s - putting a small paper  bag of unboarded purchases on top of a dealer's boxes while chatting with a pal, only for maybe about a couple of minutes at most, and with no other potential customers anywhere near.  The dealer suddenly gets very irate, picks my bag up, flings it across six boxes down the row and shouts 'If you're not buying anything, get that rubbish off my stall!!!'

I have to say that it drove me nuts when people would stop to chat near my booth and then put their stuff on top of my books and/or put their elbows on my books as they chattered away. Not only do they risk damaging the goods, but they block potential buyers from seeing your wares.

The guy you spoke of was rude, but I can completely appreciate his frustration.

And there are just as many, if not more, buyers who lack people skills.

I've been on both sides of the tables the last 10 years, and it's safe to say that you need to have been on both sides to fully understand what irks both buyers and sellers. I highly recommend that every buyer volunteers to help a dealer once at a show just to experience it. It might change your whole outlook on dealers.

Did you read my NYC con report about the girl who emptied her purse on my showcase at the show?

I asked her in a joking manner, knowing that she was oblivious of what she was doing, if I could help her and she replied with a sharp but not unfriendly "No!" and then proceeded to use my table as her own for a few minutes as she looked for something...maybe a cel phone or something.

She was completely oblivious.

It was pretty funny actually.

I have to say that it drove me nuts when people would stop to chat near my booth and then put their stuff on top of my books and/or put their elbows on my books as they chattered away. Not only do they risk damaging the goods, but they block potential buyers from seeing your wares.

I've been on both sides of the tables the last 10 years, and it's safe to say that you need to have been on both sides to fully understand what irks both buyers and sellers. I highly recommend that every buyer volunteers to help a dealer once at a show just to experience it. It might change your whole outlook on dealers.

I agree, nobody will handle, or take care of, your stuff better than yourself and to see others disrespect what you work hard to take care of can be irritating. Your idea to put yourself into other people's shoes is quite an eye opener and experience that can help us to be more understanding towards others and their things.

Did you read my NYC con report about the girl who emptied her purse on my showcase at the show?

I asked her in a joking manner, knowing that she was oblivious of what she was doing, if I could help her and she replied with a sharp but not unfriendly "No!" and then proceeded to use my table as her own for a few minutes as she looked for something...maybe a cel phone or something.

Was she at least cute?

Was she at least cute?

I have no idea. I can't remember. She was probably 15 years old. She was just socially inept and oblivious to her surroundings. That to me was pretty cute (although I feel sorry for her if she doesn't grow out of that).

lol

Should have lobe kicked her, then she would've got the message.

It isn't something I would do during a moderately busy period at an event. That I can understand. It's common sense. This was end of day, nobody around us, doing no harm whatsoever, no other potential buyers.  Under these circumstances,  in throwing my books around, the guy was just having a thuggish tantrum.

And, I'm quite sure that exposure to the immense, crushing weight of half a dozen or so standard size Marvel Comics for a minute or two wouldn't have proved significant in any way. Playing frisbee with my stuff had much greater damage potential.