• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO ARE SOME OF THE WORST DEALERS

279 posts in this topic

Hey all -

Thanks for this post and thanks for starting it, doc.

I'm new to this forum, but have been a collector on-and-off for 15+ years. I've mainly purchased at shows or from trusted local dealers, so haven't gotten burned by some of the aformentioned mail order outfits out there. Having recently gotten back into buying Silver Age books again, I think that CGC has really exposed the dark trimming/restoration underbelly of this hobby. It's startling to know that this cr@p went on for years without detection. It's sad to see that trusted dealers are the exception and not the rule. It's outrageous that eBay still allows comic-keys to freely operate!

So with that said, I just wanted to bump this thread for the benefit of newcomers or those getting re-aclimated like myself...

Kudos! thumbsup2.gif

I have to say that Lone Star has the worst packing I have ever seen. Big oversized boxes (used Diamond Comics boxes) that were old and beat up, had no rigidity left in them. Barely taped shut and the box was actually open on both ends with pieces of those little styrofoam packing bits falling out allover the place. Comics were stuff in bundles of 25 into one bag, may 10 of the 100 I bought actually had bags on them which I thought was a joke. I was totally amazed that the shipment came in one piece. I switched to buying all my moderns through Chuck now and I must say I was impressed. Books looked sharper than Lone Star, very neatly and securely packaged, all in bags, and no vegetable boxes used either. Also, I find Chuck's packing and delivery system to be much quicker. It took Lone Star almost a week to confirm that my order was finally filled and shipped.

Uh, okay Brain -- thanks for the welcome. laugh.gif

BTW, you still owe me $22.50 for those doomsday machine parts. Did you ever succeed in that whole "taking over Moldova" plan?!?

Harvey Dude - right back atchoo! hi.gif

Wow ~~ Okinawa ... I don't think I've ever interacted with somebody from that part of the planet before...at least not knowingly...

Hey LH (may I CALL you LH?)

Welcome to the boards. You sound a bit like me. I had a few year break from collecting before I started up again with the Fiction House jungle themed GA books - about a year or less from when I joined up here. I have a word of advice for you though:

Maintain a solid budget because if you stick around you will find yourself starting to, seemingly from nowhere, making more purchases!

And also...

well, I have two words of advice for you:

Watch the budget and also if someone get on your case for any reason, make them look silly with a well turned phrase. The one with the greatest sense of humor always looks best.

Also...

Well, I have three words of advice for you:

Watch the budget. Maintain a sense of humor and look good. And never, ever read a long Povertyrow post all the way to the end because you will probably end up asking yourself why you did.

Also.....

nevermind........

Ah, the Man They Call POV...

You can call me any of the following: LH, Your Honorable Esquire, Your Eminence, Irascible B@stard, hey jerk-off, or you. I will basically answer to any of these epithets when fully awake crazy.gif

I will heed your advice about fiscal discipline because I can totally see myself getting wrapped up in BA Neal Adams covers! Those high grade examples sure are ~pretty~. Despite the escalating prices, paying for quality to a certain extent is well-warranted.

I haven't fully read your debates about restoration, but at some point I'd like your thoughts on the nature of prices for Restored issues. When I get my thoughts together, I'll post.

Thanks for the welcome! shy.gif

I see Robert Crestohl's name on the first page and I would say he was the first and the worst dealer I ever dealt with. I would order from his catalog way back in1978 and he never had the items I ordered and the alternates were always overgraded. Having not ever dealt with a dealer before I was too naive at the time to know but I would never have anything to do with him again. The only other person I wasn't happy with was Comicmanshipper on Ebay he sent me an old 50's horror title that had obvious glue repair (it looked like a clear nail polish)on the front and back covers plus his shipping was extremely slow.

Wow! Talk about digging up an old thread. With a quick scan, I see plenty of names that didn't stick around.

Yup, old threads are cool like that. Posters come & go.

Why don't they return? Why did they leave?

Why does Superman wear his undies on the outside?

The seller just emailed me back. He claims that the problem is my fault for not buying insurance. (I dispute that: I claim that even without insurance, it is REASONABLE to expect one's comics to be packaged better than that. Insurance woudl provide reimbursement, but would not solve the problem of why the books were damaged in the first place).

He also justifies his packing by stating he sends ALL his books this way, and that the amount I paid for S&H (which was 3x the actual cost of the postage) was for shipping "...AND handling," so the cost of the four stamps is irrelevant. (I want to know what he thinks "handling" is, and what I'm paying for).

You know what else makes me mad? I bid on this guy after reading his feedback from buyers who PRAISED his packing! I'm as angry at them! I kinda want to email them and ask, "what were you THINKING? Don't you know we buyer read your feedback? When you get books packed like this and call it "great packing!", that misleads those of us who actually WANT good packing!"

It seems to me that the way this problem is dealt with is unreasonable and leaves the seller too many options. Of course trhe seller is expected to package items reasonably.

So, I buy every item I purchase with my American Express via Paypal. WHen I get comics like that, I don't ask for permission, I pack them in a priority mail box and send them back with tracking. I then e-mail and explain that I will be awaiting a refund. ( I do look for the return policy, though that is not essential, if packaing is the problem). If they refuse I call AMEX and tell them I need my money back. So long as I provide proof of return, the matter is over. I have never had a problem getting my money back with one exception and that was for an "All Negro" sold by mjgcats ( maria gotti) described as having the appearance of "Fine+" that actually graded at 1.8. I tried for a partial refund and after trying for six months finally sent it back, requested a full refund from AMEX (about 5k) and got it within a week.

If you go through Paypal you will be wasting your time.

Is Jerry still around? I was brought up in Montreal, Quebec and there was a " Million comics" store on every corner it seemed. Too young and inexpierieced to remember the conditions. I do still have one comic I bought from there. A jonah Hex #1 that I bought my dad for Fathers day years and years ago. 3$ graded fine/very fine. Only reason I know is that my dad still has it in the same bag!

So point in fact, where is Gerry Ross now??

The seller just emailed me back. He claims that the problem is my fault for not buying insurance. (I dispute that: I claim that even without insurance, it is REASONABLE to expect one's comics to be packaged better than that. Insurance woudl provide reimbursement, but would not solve the problem of why the books were damaged in the first place).

He also justifies his packing by stating he sends ALL his books this way, and that the amount I paid for S&H (which was 3x the actual cost of the postage) was for shipping "...AND handling," so the cost of the four stamps is irrelevant. (I want to know what he thinks "handling" is, and what I'm paying for).

You know what else makes me mad? I bid on this guy after reading his feedback from buyers who PRAISED his packing! I'm as angry at them! I kinda want to email them and ask, "what were you THINKING? Don't you know we buyer read your feedback? When you get books packed like this and call it "great packing!", that misleads those of us who actually WANT good packing!"

It seems to me that the way this problem is dealt with is unreasonable and leaves the seller too many options. Of course trhe seller is expected to package items reasonably.

So, I buy every item I purchase with my American Express via Paypal. WHen I get comics like that, I don't ask for permission, I pack them in a priority mail box and send them back with tracking. I then e-mail and explain that I will be awaiting a refund. ( I do look for the return policy, though that is not essential, if packaing is the problem). If they refuse I call AMEX and tell them I need my money back. So long as I provide proof of return, the matter is over. I have never had a problem getting my money back with one exception and that was for an "All Negro" sold by mjgcats ( maria gotti) described as having the appearance of "Fine+" that actually graded at 1.8. I tried for a partial refund and after trying for six months finally sent it back, requested a full refund from AMEX (about 5k) and got it within a week.

If you go through Paypal you will be wasting your time.

AMEX suddenly makes a LOT of sense. Some other credit cards are more reluctant to be so abliging.