• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO ARE SOME OF THE WORST DEALERS

279 posts in this topic

i was thinking about a CGC auction.

but anyways - considering how SNE (or Dan I guess) leaves NEGs after their buyers leave NEUTRALS - talk about not wanting repeat customers!! i mean geez - why don't they simply leave NO FEEDBACK?? why go to the effort of giving a buyer who paid you promptly a neg - by leaving a neg they're alienating them and you can guarantee that buyer will NEVER deal with SNE again...

Don't these guys (SNE) realize that there will be people who look at their feedback and compare it with the feedback from others? They just make themselves sound immature. makepoint.gif

I guess I'll just add him to my do-not-buy-from-list. 893naughty-thumb.gif

SNE IS THE WORST

...unless you buy a CGC book, so the grade is guaranteed anyway (I just got a FF #1 GRR in 9.0 from them for a good price).

BTW, whatever happened to that jagreen (or whatever) who was "not a very smart man" who spent tens of thousands on SNE books worth tens of hundreds? Did he ever actually pay up?

SNE IS THE WORST

...unless you buy a CGC book, so the grade is guaranteed anyway (I just got a FF #1 GRR in 9.0 from them for a good price).

Everyone is good for something and these guys are great for low grade reading copies of Silver Age books in lots.

I've only made one purchase from SNE. I bought SPIDER-MAN 1-28 in NM/MT 9.8 for about $23.00. The books ARE 9.8(or better), and they arrived in MYLARS. At this point, I'd buy from SNE again....

beyonder:

Well, I guess it's hard to screw up a modern book... but I'll say this... buy a book of any substantial value from sne or have a problem with one of your orders, and then see if you like him any better... i can guarantee your perspective will head south.

Luckily I'm not buying very much anymore. The only other books I wanted to buy from SNE were ASM 134 and 135 "9.6". I was really pissed off that I missed the end of that auction. Should I be happy I missed it?

Anyone ever try to return books to Lonestar before(mycomicshop.com)....I just got bigbox of VF/VF- today and they were all supposed to be NM................they have been geting worse and worse in their grading lately and at this point I just feel they are sending out anything as long as the # is what you asked for.

Jonny D. confused.gif

Ok, here's my worst dealer story. Over the course of collecting for 25 years, I've run into very few unpleasant individuals, but this one takes the cake. It was so bad, even with the passage of time, iI'd have to say that in not other instance have I felt that a dealer out and out tried to rip me off.

About 8 years ago I was trying to pick up super-HG SA books, especially issues belonging to certain runs. I was making the rounds in the DC area and, of course, hit the monthly Tysons show. A dealer from NY, I believe his name is Richie Muchin, was a regular there for years and I signed up for his catalogue. I finally received it and there were a number of books in it that I was interested in, all of which were labelled as solid NM's. I called him several times and when he finally called back, he manipulated the call so I had to call him again on my dime. I decided to test out his grading by ordering the FF run of books from 74-78 (I think those are the #'s) with the Surfer appearances. I must've spent an hour on the phone trying to get across my message (when he let me talk) that I didn't want these books unless they were PERFECT. Richie swore up and down that he would call me if they were anything less, but that his NM's had no stress marks, no creases, no foxing, no tears, nothing. A week or so later I get my 5 books in the mail. Unreal. Maybe two were F's, the rest G's and VG's. Severe spine creases on all of them, water stains on two, creased corners on all, a couple of rusted staples, minor tears on three, etc. It wasn't even a matter of this being disputable.

Usually, I'd be content to let poor grading slide and simply not order from the seller again. This, however, was too much.. I called numerous times and left messages, never to hear back. Due to family events and work, I wasn't able to make the Tyson show for a couple of months, but when I did next, I brought the books with me. I approached him, complained about the books and told him I wasn't looking for a refund but was unhappy with these and hoped he could at least exchange them. First he first denied selling them to me, then when things heated up and a small crowd gathered, he kept insisting I was asking for a refund. I repeatedly denied this, asked him to back-up his grading, and he repeatedly refused. Eventually, after I kept pointing out that his idea of NM included water stains to him and anyone else watching, he was shamed into acting responsibly and agreed to an exchange for any non-GA book he had with him. I pulled out a perfect Hulk 104 (the Rhino cover) with the deepest, darkest, glossiest, cover inks I've ever seen. Of course, he claimed this wasn't included in the available books. Finally, he caved, I got the book and it's still a prize in my collection, despite the fact that I dinged the damn thing when I got home (didn't break the inks, but it still sucked). Until this point I had always been somewhat timid in my interactions with dealers, but this time I was able to firmly hold my ground without losing my cool. Apparently, despite the fact that I never raised my voice, this became quite the attraction during an otherise dead show on a nice summer day--so much so, that I had 3 other dealers compliment me on not letting him get away with, as one dealer put it, "his [!@#%^&^]". I've since heard from others who think favorably of him, but, like I said, I was never able to shake the feeling that he tried to steal my hard-earned cash.

I've been doing shows besides Richie for some 15 years now and have found him to be a stand-up person. Can't vouch for his mail order but his show persona is quite good. He is quite open about any and all restoration

and such. His grading is no looser than many.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. Really surprised to hear Richard

Muchin's name in this context, though. I've dealt with Tomorrows Treasures

several times over the last 10 years, most recently a $1K deal this January,

and he has always been extremely friendly and professional. His grading has

been right on the mark, too. Some of you may remember that I posted a WDCS

#7 scan here in the fall. I asked for opinions on the grade and everyone pretty

unanimously called it a VF, same grade he had given me. The two books I

bought were accurately graded & I even got a $150 discount because a few

other issues were no longer in stock. Are there two people with similiar names?

I can't believe we are talking about the same person???

i met richie munchin at the wondercon 2 years ago in oakland, he's the seller i was talking about in my past post last year re: TOS 49 he had a copy he graded NM- and he wouldn't sell it to me after we got in a debate re: captain america's first SA origin issue. mad.gif he said it was avengers 4 i begged to differ and said it was TOS 63 (which is cap's first SA origin) then he asked me flippantly with a smug grin "are you sure?". 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif goes to show you his knowledge re: SA marvel. 27_laughing.gif bitter seller, he did say that he didn't care if he didn't sell it, he said he'll just go back to zoo york and sell it to robert storms. boo.gif he also stated on the TOS 49 "that if your willing to pay my price of 3X over guide, why should you care what i would grade the book." that was my first expierence re: zoo york dealers and their rude elitist attitude that i've oft read and heard about. but i know not all zoo york dealers are like this, for one, vincent zurzolo, one cool MF'er! acclaim.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Yo, Supa If you had half the attitude with Rich as you have in your post,no wonder he choose not to sell a book to you.Its this sort of that keeps me out of San Diego.In case you didn't notice,Rich is mostly a Golden Age dealer. He disagees with you and that makes him a bitter seller? He is the eliteist? Perhaps,after laying out a ton of money to ship his books coast to coast, he had better things to do than argue with bitter fan-boys. rantpost.gifrantpost.gifrantpost.gif

I've tried to buy from them through their website a couple times now, and either don't get any reply at all or the reply simply says "Book's gone, thanks". Does this guy not do much selling on the internet?

Brian