• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever sold a book before it turned into a "future key"?

18 posts in this topic

I sold a stack of Swamp Thing 21's that came in comic book 3-packs before it became a "key" issue.

Not a terrible loss, but what are some of the future keys you guys have sold, unknowing that someday they would become valued books?

I sold a TMNT #1 first print in 1986 for $35. The copy I sent a $2 check for when Don Thompson reviewed this new strange comic from two guys named Eastman and Laird.

Okay, it was already a key and I even wrote down at the time that it could turn into "another Cerebus #1." But obviously it has far surpassed any expectations.

Marc

When I was younger I had all of them: Spiderman #50, 122, 129, Hulk 181, Iron Man 55, FF 48, Mad Magazine #1, etc. Sold a 10,000 book collection to buy a home in the early 90's. House has more than tripled in value...I can only guess what the collection would be worth.

When I was younger I had all of them: Spiderman #50, 122, 129, Hulk 181, Iron Man 55, FF 48, Mad Magazine #1, etc. Sold a 10,000 book collection to buy a home in the early 90's. House has more than tripled in value...I can only guess what the collection would be worth.

At least you have had somewhere to live for the last 15 years. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"When I was younger I had all of them: Spiderman #50, 122, 129, Hulk 181, Iron Man 55, FF 48, Mad Magazine #1, etc. Sold a 10,000 book collection to buy a home in the early 90's. House has more than tripled in value...I can only guess what the collection would be worth."

I think you did fine with your home unless those were all slabbable 9.6ses or 9.8s. Not to mention all the junk you probably unloaded at the same time at a good time to be selling comics (the early 90s).

think about it:

unless you paid all cash for your house, the money you put down has far more than tripled.

Bought for 100K, put down $25K.

Now "worth" (net of taxes and commissions?) $300K.

That $25K down payment is now $225K in equity (assuming you've paid off a negligible amount of your mortgage on a 30 year loan), so, an 800% or so increase.

unless your mortgage payments were more than renting...

You'd need to have 9.8s of every key to match that, assuming you didn't get hosed too bad when you sold.

I sold a stack of Swamp Thing 21's that came in comic book 3-packs before it became a "key" issue.

Not a terrible loss, but what are some of the future keys you guys have sold, unknowing that someday they would become valued books?

None for me. Sadly I grew up collecting comics in the 90's. When I came back to the hobby in the past year, I realized that I was basically starting from scratch.

i don't think that is really viewed as selling a "future key" as it is, just "selling".

i think the spirit of the thread is about selling a book that wasn't worth much at the time (e.g. ASM 129, early 1980s) only to see the price skyrocket later.

Kind of like when I traded about 20 Rickey Henderson rookies away as a kid. I thought I was making some great trades. I gave this kid 800 and some cards for about 500 of his and padded it with those amongst other non stars to fatten up the deal. These were fresh out of packs back then, but I liked all his 1972 "In Action" cards. foreheadslap.gif

Pretty much all the BA marvel keys.

AS 121 122 129

X-men 94 - up to about 120 and GS 1 and 2

Hulk 181

In some cases multi-copies. frown.gif

Kind of like when I traded about 20 Rickey Henderson rookies away as a kid. I thought I was making some great trades. I gave this kid 800 and some cards for about 500 of his and padded it with those amongst other non stars to fatten up the deal. These were fresh out of packs back then, but I liked all his 1972 "In Action" cards. foreheadslap.gif

Same boat, had the Nolan Ryan Rookie, 2 Reggie Jackson Rookies, Tom Seaver, etc etc some of the best cards from 1967-1970 which I traded for a bunch of Uncanny X-mens (including a 94) which was considered NM at the time. In todays grading they were/are a consistant 8.0-9.0 foreheadslap.gif

I had the first set of the Marvel Universe Handbook comics and tore it apart to make the poster out of the covers...wanted another set which my LCS had in NM condition...I was around 12 or 13 at the time and had squat for money...so I traded my other hobby at the time for it...complete 1st run sets of Garbage Pail Kids cards series 1 - 8 (inc. variant cards) all mint and in a binder... makepoint.gif...oh and I demand $20 besides the sets so I could pick up some music albums ('member those!?)

Today the MUH is basically worthless and the GBK sets are hard to find in mint and around $100 or more per set foreheadslap.gif893censored-thumb.gif

But when your a kid and you get sick of collecting the cards and see some books you want...well then the rest becomes history frown.gif

Doesn't every retailer sell a book before it becomes a key confused.gif

I remember selling a Wonder Woman 199 and 200 in around VF or thereabouts for £2 each just before the whole Bronze Age thing took off. They were listed in my catalogue - I could've sold them 5 times over on the first day. That was when I realized that BA was heating up...

I have never sold (and rarely traded) comics so I haven't so far. I have this feeling that Steel #2-3 are going to be keys in the future, so if anyone wants a bulk discount, let me know wink.gif

I sold a War Fury #1 in VG for triple guide $50 to someone who placed an ad in the CBG weekly years ago. Now a VG copy would easily sell for multiple hundreds, but hey, I got triple guide at the time and who cares about a bullet in the head anyway.

When he received the book, he thought it was a VG/FN. It was nice and glossy.....his gain...my dinner.