• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone notice the traffic in the GA forum?

34 posts in this topic

The GA forum is no longer the sleepy village it once was.

There are now more threads and responses to threads in the GA forum than there are in the SA forum. 893whatthe.gif

Pretty cool. 893applaud-thumb.gif

There are now more threads and responses to threads in the GA forum than there are in the SA forum. 893whatthe.gif

And very little is regarding CGC! Even better!

I think more and more people are discovering just how interesting GA comics are.

October: "Now my dollars will be stretched even further! Christo_pull_hair.gif"

NR: "Precisely why I stay away from GA forum. And now back to Comics General before I look to closely at all of this stuff." - 3/25/05

Too late. foreheadslap.gif

I think more and more people are discovering just how interesting GA comics are.

October: "Now my dollars will be stretched even further! Christo_pull_hair.gif"

NR: "Precisely why I stay away from GA forum. And now back to Comics General before I look to closely at all of this stuff." - 3/25/05

Too late. foreheadslap.gif

Great. That's all I need. More competition. foreheadslap.gif

I always wanted to collect GA books,but the last 4 years I've been working on my ASM set(and no way could I afford both 893scratchchin-thumb.gif).Now that I'm almost done with my 1-100 set,I'm going to work on some nice looking mid grade Timely's.I remember when I was about 15 or 16 I owned a Cap #33 in solid vf/vf+.I traded a Daredevil #1& a Hulk #2(both in vg/fn)to get it.It was the coolest looking book I ever had,and I was hooked after that.Plus, I was looking at all the great golden age books posted here,and wanted some of my own. insane.gif.I also like the scarcity of these books(compared to SA),some of these Timely's only have 5-15 copies in the census! It just seems like there are so many cool GA books out there for all types of collectors,and IMHO they are still undervalued.Now I'd rather buy a few nice GA books a year,instead of 50-60 SA.... confused-smiley-013.gif

After completing my FF run last year, I decided to get back into ECs and GA Superman Comics. I was buying some of these books a decade ago, but lost focus.

As much as I love SA Marvel, I came to the conclusion that it provides a rather poor "bang for my collecting buck" in terms of value. The sad fact of the matter is that with Silver and Bronze, if it ain't high grade, it's fairly disposable. And I just can't bring myself to pay through the nose for COMMON SA/BA books in high grade slabs.

With GA, I love the fact that I don't have to be as condition conscious... I can have a 5.0 and not be "ashamed" of it because it's not "HG enough." With GA, it's more about the hunt...

Most of all, I love the history surrounding these GA books.

I also like that this section seems to focus on the real exchange of information and ideas and avoids a lot of the nonsense in some other sections.

flowerred.gif

After completing my FF run last year, I decided to get back into ECs and GA Superman Comics. I was buying some of these books a decade ago, but lost focus.

As much as I love SA Marvel, I came to the conclusion that it provides a rather poor "bang for my collecting buck" in terms of value. The sad fact of the matter is that with Silver and Bronze, if it ain't high grade, it's fairly disposable. And I just can't bring myself to pay through the nose for COMMON SA/BA books in high grade slabs.

With GA, I love the fact that I don't have to be as condition conscious... I can have a 5.0 and not be "ashamed" of it because it's not "HG enough." With GA, it's more about the hunt...

Most of all, I love the history surrounding these GA books.

I also like that this section seems to focus on the real exchange of information and ideas and avoids a lot of the nonsense in some other sections.

flowerred.gif

Pretty much the same here...after I completed my Marvel SA collection (all pre-1965 superhero books) and my Hulks/X-men/Spidey, I started to branch out into Gold and Bronze, while trying to upgrade my SA books. Unfortunately, it got to the point where it was cost-prohibitive to upgrade your average SA book compared to buying a low-mid grade Timely, or LB Cole book, so other than Hulks, I've pretty much quit collecting SA. I felt Bronze was super-cheap 5 years ago, but that's no longer the case and other than a few remaining "gaps", I've pretty much stopped collecting BA as well.

Collecting GA is much more challenging, and there are so many books I know little about that it's interesting to read the GA forum, be exposed to all kinds of new books, etc.,. I also really like the historical perspective you get with WWII books, campy 40's/50's sci-fi, Atom Age cold-war themes, etc.,. At this point, if I can add a nice GA book once or twice a month, I'm a happy collector!

GA is happening! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Collecting GA is much more challenging, and there are so many books I know little about that it's interesting to read the GA forum, be exposed to all kinds of new books, etc.,. I also really like the historical perspective you get with WWII books, campy 40's/50's sci-fi, Atom Age cold-war themes, etc.,.

Nicely said, drbanner. I discovered the breadth of GA books in the early 90s, thanks to an EC I bought from a Pittsburgh comic shop's wall in college. (The EC title in question wasn't Crypt or Fear or Weird Science, but Psychoanalysis!) Got started on ECs through the mid/late 90s, and then started getting turned onto the amazing array of other GA genres, companies & titles.

The last 5-6 years has seen me going after (deep breath) LB Cole covers, Schomburg covers, early DCs, Atomic Age/anti-communist covers, early Fox titles, WWII MLJs, romance, crime & much more. (Whew!) Very recently, I've decided to focus on going after some of the early GA Supermans, which have been a passion & goal of mine for some time. Even all these years later, still love early GA books and still excited by the thrill of the hunt. thumbsup2.gif

I seem to read more substantive information from the GA forum with less graemlin strings and OT ramblings to filter through. I also love the pictures of those rare and esoteric material that is not as abundant in the other forums.

thumbsup2.gif

I seem to read more substantive information from the GA forum with less graemlin strings and OT ramblings to filter through. I also love the pictures of those rare and esoteric material that is not as abundant in the other forums.

thumbsup2.gif

Are you starting a graemlin war? poke2.gif

I've learned more from this forum in the past 14 months, than I have in my previous years of collecting. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've dabbled in Silver Age when I first got back into collecting. However I soon discovered Golden Age and was blown away by all the cool covers, learning about the great artists, and the joy in finding a book you've been searching for for years.

This forum has me learning about books I collect as well as books I don't collect but appreciate reading about. I probably add a new book to my ever growing want list like once a week thanks to this forum 27_laughing.gif

As others have also mentioned, this is a also the "collector friendly" forum where everyone seems to get along. flowerred.gif

also, besides all the mass of information that I've learned since joining the boards, I've made a few collector friends who share my GA collecting interest, very nice and helpful folks, I've met a few, but plan to met many more in the future whenever possible.. cool.gif

The Golden Age Was Truly Golden!!! With that said, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge. Also, it is has provided info on some of the "niche" collecting within GA such as GGA, Wartime Covers, etc. It makes it hard where to decide to spend your money but what a wonderful choice, you have to make!