• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

[quoteYou stink! When did you acquire these books and will you get them graded?

Do you have any Batman books?

I have been a collector for many years, and these books have been out of circulation since long before CGC showed up. I know their history and pedigree and would not slab them unless I were to think of selling them. The reason that I consider them my top 3 grail books is because they would be the last books to be pried from my hands.

I have a few Batman books, but nothing of note. For some reason, I have always liked the feel of the pre-Batman Detectives more than those with Batman.

My #1 personal grail is a book that has everything I could ever want. It is the rarest DC book, it has a Creig Flessel cover, and it is in amazing condition with bone-white pages. Double Action Comics #2:

1166789-DoubleAction2%282%29.JPG

Darn the luck... these are the same three high-grade pedigree books I was about to post. tongue.gif

Beautiful books, fella! Congrats! hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

[quoteYou stink! When did you acquire these books and will you get them graded?

Do you have any Batman books?

I have been a collector for many years, and these books have been out of circulation since long before CGC showed up. I know their history and pedigree and would not slab them unless I were to think of selling them. The reason that I consider them my top 3 grail books is because they would be the last books to be pried from my hands.

There's hope for me yet for a Blue Beetle. cloud9.gif

In second place is what many DC completionists consider to be the rarest issue of any regular DC Golden Age title. This is the book that eluded Ian Levine for so many years in his quest to complete his DC collection. I love it not just for its rarity, but also because it is another example of Flessel at his finest. New Adventure Comics #26:

1166784-NewAdv.26%28MH%29%282%29.JPG

Just an incredible copy of a great cover! I don't have any Flessels. sorry.gif

RHG, great idea, and it's very cool seeing which 3 books from your unbelievable collection you name as your tops.

The only GA books that I collect are Duck books. The first two were easy, the last was hard because there were a lot of candidates and at the end of the day it is simply keeping the seat warm for a Four Color #9, if and when I ever acquire a copy.

Four Color #178, the first appearance of Scrooge. 'Nuff said.

fc178.jpg

Four Color #386, the beginning of Scrooge's run, and a classic story to boot.

FC386.jpg

Four Color #282. This was a tough one, as it came down to this issue, FC 328 and FC 108.

FC282.jpg

Those duck books are beautiful tth2. They remind me of hkp's amazing Disney books. Speaking of hkp, I would love to see what he considers to be his top 3 books.

I also wouldn't mind hearing from TheGoldenAge. He apparently has a great collection of early DC's, but has not yet posted any of it. How about it TheGoldenAge?

My current top 3

Captain Marvel Adventures 71 7.0 Edgar Church

cma_71_mhec_fc_thumb.jpg

Captain Marvel Adventures 131 CGC 8.0 Crowley Copy

cma_iss_131_fc_crowley_thumb.jpg

Captain Marvel Adventures 147 CGC 9.0

cma_iss_147_fc_thumb.jpg

I am looking at adding another Church Copy, a Pre-Bat Detective and A Flessel Cover New Adventure. I suspect my top 3 is going to change dramatically in the next year.

Some gorgeous books in this thread! You're killing me with the "only 3" restriction, but I'll play along. Here are my choices for today, but on another day they might be completely different (well, the last two might be):

Detective 1a Front.jpg

Adventure 37 Front.jpg

More Fun 54a Front.jpg

The three top GA books (and I am strictly interpreting this to be 1938-1946) of mine that are not for sale would be (I presume I can include ashcans):

This one should be obvious why.

MoreFun52.jpg

Only one of three known copies.

ActionFunnies.jpg

Only known copy.

Crackashcan.jpg