• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filling a claim at the USPS

124 posts in this topic

to everyone

for a non insured package that was damaged (sent to overseas), filling a claim could get a refund for the damaged comics?

declaring the value of the comics near 300$, how much of a refund could i expect?

how long does this process takes?

thanks in advance, regards

to everyone

for a non insured package that was damaged (sent to overseas), filling a claim could get a refund for the damaged comics?

declaring the value of the comics near 300$, how much of a refund could i expect?

how long does this process takes?

thanks in advance, regards

If the package wasn't insured then you cannot make a claim. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Kermit - it is possible that the damage also occurred at French customs or once the package was in the hands of the French postal service, I.E., your mailman dropped it on its corner or sat on it before it left it on your doorstep. I would have taken pictures of the package BEFORE opening it IF the package appeared to be damaged in anyway during transit. If your package was perfectly normal, I'd assume the damage was on the item BEFORE it was even shipped to you. In that case, ask the seller to make good for misrepresenting the item's condition.

I pack all my packages in a way that anticipates damage in transit, domestic and international. Result is the package gets to my buyers in PERFECT condition. If there is any chance that the package is damaged in transit, my buyers would notice it from the appearance of the package's exterior (ask Chromium about how he gets some mauled Global priority envelopes from me, but the contents are still intact) and let me know there is something wrong with it. In the case of regular customers, I give the full refund (even on high ticket items), ask them to send the item back along with any documentation (pictures of damaged package, signatures from postal witnesses that package was delivered damaged, etc) that would help me recuperate compensation from the USPS and I file a claim myself. If USPS doesn't agree that they are at fault then I file it as a loss on my taxes confused-smiley-013.gif Most of the time, if you provide enough evnidence, paperwork, pictures, statements from seller and buyer and witnesses (if there are any), receipts for value of item, they will honor the claim and it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks for them to get the claim processed, another week for the check to go out to you.

I tend to go above and beyond what others might do and maybe some sellers think that if the buyer did not purchase insurance or opt for a safer boxed method then they are off the hook and screw the buyer, but that is not IMO the right way to do things.

Kermit - do the board a favor and post a scan of the damage and maybe a photo of the package and any packing materials? I'm guessing you've saved it from the value of the item. Just want to see if it is potential transit damage? if you can't host the image, email it to darthdiesel@yahoo.com and I'll host and post it for you. Hate talking about stuff with pieces of the puzzle missing...

You may be covered up to a certain amount based on the service you used to ship. If you used Letter Post, I do not believe there is a 'base insurance'. But I am sure there is a 'base insurance' amount on the Parcel Post and premier (Global PM, etc) services. The amount depends upon the destination (and maybe the weight). Unfortunately, this number does not have anything to do with the customs value you entered. You must have the cash register receipt for the postage on the package in order to do anything. There's actually useful information on them now.

The USPS has recently centralized all inquiries to do with international packages. There's a 1-800 number to call, which your local PO can refer you to.

I'm going to take this opportunity to make sure everyone realizes that shipping valuable items without insurance is unwise. Overseas - doubly unwise. Everyone has their own ideal of 'valuable' but $300 sure counts for me. Learn the postal rules, insist on an insurable method of shipment, and pay for the insurance YOURSELF. Don't make your customer pay for it. It is worth the expense tenfold, just so you can sleep soundly. IMHO. (not trying to beat you up Mr. Frog, hoping others can learn from experiences like this.)

I was talking to the guys at my post office the other day, whom have gotten to know me due to my frequent visits over the last year or so. They know how well I've learned the ropes and respect me for it. I mentioned that I felt like I was in the shipping business sometimes and they looked at me strangely and said, "Hey, stop FEELING like it - you are in the shipping business." Touche. Denial phase complete. :-) Confronted with the truth, I had to agree.

All I can say is that if you get any money you are going to earn it!

I had a package that supposely was insured and I was given the run around so

much that I initally gave up...

It was a $90 package, I took a loss and I just learned from it.

It was litterally psycho the back and forth over this.

weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks of red tape....

GOD THE AGONY!

UGGGGH!

I now don't trust the USPS nor the comic dealer "Retro Rocket"

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Nerf, buddy, - people file claims with the USPS everyday. Don't see what the big deal is.

"supposedly was insured..." - either it's insured or it's not? Information is on the USPS receipt. Usually there is a blue insurance label with the number right on the package. If not (insured for less than $50) then it is up to the seller to provide proof of insurance = USPS receipt, and proof of value = ebay sale/auction page, sales receipt

What many folks see as red tape, I see as due diligence. Patience and communication. Not everything is going to go your way. But make sure that you've done everything possible on your end before you decide the USPS is the bad guy. They are a big target and just because they have deep pockets doesn't mean you should just expect them to pay up ASAP everytime someone is unhappy with what they got in the mail. If I were them, I'd do everything possible to ascertain that it wasn't damaged in transit before I start writing out fat compensation checks. I talk to folks about issues like this and more often than not it is the seller's fault (improper packing, never insured to pocket extra money paid for the service, etc) and the seller just passing the buck.

Feel free to correct me Nerf, but I'm thinking retro rocket is the one you should be directing the hate toward.

Nerf, buddy, - people file claims with the USPS everyday. Don't see what the big deal is.

"supposedly was insured..." - either it's insured or it's not? Information is on the USPS receipt. Usually there is a blue insurance label with the number right on the package. If not (insured for less than $50) then it is up to the seller to provide proof of insurance = USPS receipt, and proof of value = ebay sale/auction page, sales receipt

What many folks see as red tape, I see as due diligence. Patience and communication. Not everything is going to go your way. But make sure that you've done everything possible on your end before you decide the USPS is the bad guy. They are a big target and just because they have deep pockets doesn't mean you should just expect them to pay up ASAP everytime someone is unhappy with what they got in the mail. If I were them, I'd do everything possible to ascertain that it wasn't damaged in transit before I start writing out fat compensation checks. I talk to folks about issues like this and more often than not it is the seller's fault (improper packing, never insured to pocket extra money paid for the service, etc) and the seller just passing the buck.

Feel free to correct me Nerf, but I'm thinking retro rocket is the one you should be directing the hate toward.

You are probably right, but the story (and I mean story) would take too long for me to type out

here at work.

It was an early experience that made me not trust either because there were riddulious

errors on both parties.

I still use Priority, but I am fast and furious if anything goes wrong.

and I learned from this.

It was a $90 burn - but at least I learned.

tongue.gif

Darth

Kermit - it is possible that the damage also occurred at French customs or once the package was in the hands of the French postal service, I.E., your mailman dropped it on its corner or sat on it before it left it on your doorstep. I would have taken pictures of the package BEFORE opening it IF the package appeared to be damaged in anyway during transit. If your package was perfectly normal, I'd assume the damage was on the item BEFORE it was even shipped to you. In that case, ask the seller to make good for misrepresenting the item's condition.

That's one thing almost impossible to know, when/where did the damage occured and the impact that had on the damaged comics...

The airmail enveloppe packed with strong boards shows damage on the corners, but the interior cardboards show no to little damage. The enveloppe is mainly made of very supple cardboard, which it doesn't take much to damage it, specially the corners (i've received packages more damaged than this one and the comics inside were perfect...what it counts is how the interior package is made and how the comics are/aren't secured).

I think the damaged ocurred during the shipping, but the evidences make me seriouslly belief there's also a direct relation of the mainly packaging flaw (the comics to be able to slide/bump inside, between the strong cardboards and the damage done - spines/corners pretty much beat up).

In the case of regular customers, I give the full refund (even on high ticket items), ask them to send the item back along with any documentation (pictures of damaged package, signatures from postal witnesses that package was delivered damaged, etc) that would help me recuperate compensation from the USPS and I file a claim myself. If USPS doesn't agree that they are at fault then I file it as a loss on my taxes Most of the time, if you provide enough evnidence, paperwork, pictures, statements from seller and buyer and witnesses (if there are any), receipts for value of item, they will honor the claim and it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks for them to get the claim processed, another week for the check to go out to you.

Your policy of a full refund is one i applaud!!! thumbsup2.gif

Regarding the USPS, well,a file was rpesented by the seller, i have sent him pics that clearly show the damage and the relation between the type of damage and the sliding effect. Receipts of value, apart what i have paied by paypal there isn't much more to add (bought the comics outside ebay and outside a site). Witnesses, well, just the seller and the buyer...but there's nothing more than this.

Waiting and see where this will go...there's still the USPS claim to explore, but i'm not holding my hopes too high!!! frown.gif

I tend to go above and beyond what others might do and maybe some sellers think that if the buyer did not purchase insurance or opt for a safer boxed method then they are off the hook and screw the buyer, but that is not IMO the right way to do things.

there's nothing i can say more than 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

regards

Kermit - do the board a favor and post a scan of the damage and maybe a photo of the package and any packing materials? I'm guessing you've saved it from the value of the item. Just want to see if it is potential transit damage? if you can't host the image, email it to darthdiesel@yahoo.com and I'll host and post it for you. Hate talking about stuff with pieces of the puzzle missing...

here are the pics of the corners of the airmail enveloppe, some close ups...

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02167.jpg

A pic of the enveloppe, which doesn't show any kind of damage outside the corners

DSC02181.jpg

and here's a pic of the inteior cardboards that show little to no damage (which supports my view over the easy sliding/bumping comics damaged during the trip)

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02178.jpg

there was a total of 5 comics, all of them present serious impact damage on different corners/side of the spines...and this isn't the ugliest one insane.gifmakepoint.gif

DSC02162.jpg

regards

Looks like the seller should have packed better to me.

Yup. I've never had a problem with that kind of packing domestically, but I don't think it's a good way to go international. I've done it a few times on low $ books and didn't have any problems, but I wouldn't even think about it with high $ books.

I pack all my packages in a way that anticipates damage in transit, domestic and international. Result is the package gets to my buyers in PERFECT condition. If there is any chance that the package is damaged in transit, my buyers would notice it from the appearance of the package's exterior (ask Chromium about how he gets some mauled Global priority envelopes from me, but the contents are still intact) and let me know there is something wrong with it. In the case of regular customers, I give the full refund (even on high ticket items), ask them to send the item back along with any documentation (pictures of damaged package, signatures from postal witnesses that package was delivered damaged, etc) that would help me recuperate compensation from the USPS and I file a claim myself. If USPS doesn't agree that they are at fault then I file it as a loss on my taxes confused-smiley-013.gif Most of the time, if you provide enough evnidence, paperwork, pictures, statements from seller and buyer and witnesses (if there are any), receipts for value of item, they will honor the claim and it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks for them to get the claim processed, another week for the check to go out to you.

893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

I've done it a few times on low $ books and didn't have any problems, but I wouldn't even think about it with high $ books.

This is a key statement, Brian. I use the GPM envelope on Chromium's crahp comics which are easily replaceable tongue.gif but even if they got damaged like Kermit's, I'd hook chromium up with the refund - after all they are cheap books 27_laughing.gif

Big dollar books = boxed and mandatory insurance