• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filling a claim at the USPS

124 posts in this topic

If the consequences of this situation and after that my request to octobers helps you to build up an opinion about what you think about me, good for you.

It's too easy to write all that without any kind of proof, only relying on "what you think" about this...at least try to be informed first and judge after!!! makepoint.gif

Thanks...but what this and the other situation tells me is that you're a problem buyer. First you back out of a transaction because you're not in the mind or spirit to continue. And now you're person_without_enough_empathying because of wanting to circumvent postal law and the comic you received isn't what you expected.

Here's an epiphany...you don't pay for insurance or added packing and you'll likely to be disappointed along the way. Welcome to the world of mail delivered comics. It's not the seller's fault. It's yours plain and simple. To try to make Comic_Supply assume some of the blame because of your poor planning is ridiculous....and again I'm almost always on the buyer's side in these matters...

Jim

again...

this situation is as hard already as it is without those shallow comments. but if you have something to say that will help me and Russ to resolve this situation, just step forward and have your saying, if not try to restrain yourself.

regards

If the consequences of this situation and after that my request to octobers helps you to build up an opinion about what you think about me, good for you.

It's too easy to write all that without any kind of proof, only relying on "what you think" about this...at least try to be informed first and judge after!!! makepoint.gif

Thanks...but what this and the other situation tells me is that you're a problem buyer. First you back out of a transaction because you're not in the mind or spirit to continue. And now you're person_without_enough_empathying because of wanting to circumvent postal law and the comic you received isn't what you expected.

Here's an epiphany...you don't pay for insurance or added packing and you'll likely to be disappointed along the way. Welcome to the world of mail delivered comics. It's not the seller's fault. It's yours plain and simple. To try to make Comic_Supply assume some of the blame because of your poor planning is ridiculous....and again I'm almost always on the buyer's side in these matters...

Jim

again...

this situation is as hard already as it is without those shallow comments. but if you have something to say that will help me and Russ to resolve this situation, just step forward and have your saying, if not try to restrain yourself.

regards

Typical...the first step is addressing the problem. Starting with you would be a first step...

Jim

Jim

again...

regards

Typical...the first step is addressing the problem. Starting with you would be a first step...

Jim

Jim

What's your point anyway?! you already presented your judgement now what?! the situation is already hard without pilling more 893censored-thumb.gif on it!!!

did you ever thought that this isn't a "being on a buyers or sellers side" situation?! i assure you that won't help either on or another... makepoint.gif

regards

That statement isn't about my true colors. It is about the fact that you had an opportunity to declare the value and insure it.

I told you I packed it safely which I did. However, on the off chance that something could/would happen you decided that it was better not to insure or declare to save yourself the duty.

Now, how exactly was I or am I responsible for that?

Kermit is wholly to blame for this aspect of wanting to dodge this declaration of market value and avoiding VAT taxes and you were just being a good seller and complying with your customers' wants but I would have been a better seller and:

1) tried to dissuade this "cheat the system" game with an expensive book

2) explain worst case scenario by cheating the system (exactly what you have here)

3) confused-smiley-013.gif not sell the book unless buyer pays for insured shipping confused-smiley-013.gif

But honestly if you decide to go down the path that you did and not take any extra precautions for the safety of the books, I think that is just being needlessly ballsy to the point of being stupid. and don't you have mylars and a ton of comic supplies? Throw it in one of those top loaders - simplest solution IMO

I'll take door #3, and add that I would pack it in a manner I would want to receive it.

In this case it would be in a VERY sturdy box.

when you try too cheat the system, you are just asking for problems.

This has been an interesting learning experience reading this thread.

Here's my take:

The person(s) responsible for the damage is the POSTAL SERVICE. Somewhere along the way, either the US or French Postal Service apparently took some frustration out on that thing.

Could the package have been packaged better? Sure. Was it packaged adequately and secure enough to withstand reasonable postage handling. Yes. It's unfortunate the package was handled so roughly, but it's clear that Comicsupply made a reasonable attempt to secure and protect the package here.

Should insurance have been purchased? Yes. Unfortunately we know this wasn't the case in an effort to avoid Duty taxes. To me, this is a buyer's gamble. I get asked to do this all the time and I always figure the person asking is fully aware of the risk they are taking. What if the package got lost? What if the package was secured and bubble wrapped, but arrived completely bent in half for some ungodly reason? These are the things one has to consider. It seems Kermit just got caught playing the odds that this package wouldn't be one of the rare exceptions of utter mishandling by the postal service.

Kermit, I know your pizzed and upset about your comic being damaged, but it's the Postal Service that should be getting the blunt of your anger and perhaps a little directed inwards for not getting the insurance.

Russ, I don't feel you are under any obligation to refund anything to Kermit, but any refund compensation given wouldn't hurt your PR and good seller reputation if you know what I mean. Completely up to you on that though.

I would recommend switching to securely packed boxes to overseas cutomers going forward. Now that this has been a focus of a thread, I wouldn't risk this freak accident from happening again. Just charge the extra shipping to cover for it and explain this to your customers that the extra shipping is for their beneifit. If they don't want to pay the couple exrtra bucks for it, then I'd pass on selling to them.

I hope this all ends amicably between you two. Remember, the real culprit here is the Postal Service for their extreme mishandling of this package.

I would recommend switching to securely packed boxes to overseas cutomers going forward. Now that this has been a focus of a thread, I wouldn't risk this freak accident from happening again. Just charge the extra shipping to cover for it and explain this to your customers that the extra shipping is for their beneifit. If they don't want to pay the couple exrtra bucks for it, then I'd pass on selling to them.

Actually it's not a few bucks more, it's almost 3X the price...No way I'm paying $25.00 shipping cost if I buy $20.00 worth of books...

I do agree that the buyer should know what he is getting into and that the GPEs are not as strong as the boxes. But again, buyer should be able to choose what he wants. If it's a higher dollar item, I'd go with the box, but I should be the one to decide.

I wonder how this thread would have turned out if it was a box that arrived crushed. I've had a few of those as well. Had a few crushed GPEs too, but never had any damage to the comics.

I agree, and Belgians too.

Oh great...pick on the small countries sign-rantpost.gif

...Switzerland is a small country,..Belgium is a rest stop,... yay.gif

How about shipping to all 0.2 miles of Vatican City (the world's smallest independent state)?

Say it to our national symbol....go ahead SAY IT !!!! I dare ya

smurfs.jpg

smurfs.jpg

..aren't they all busy right now filling orders for Chocolate bunnies for easter?..this is your busy season after all,... yay2.gif

smurfs.jpg

..aren't they all busy right now filling orders for Chocolate bunnies for easter?..this is your busy season after all,... yay2.gif

Mmmmmmmmmm chocolate and beer.... Belgium, what's not to like cloud9.gif