• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filling a claim at the USPS

124 posts in this topic

I agree, and Belgians too.

Oh great...pick on the small countries sign-rantpost.gif

...Switzerland is a small country,..Belgium is a rest stop,... yay.gif

Say it to our national symbol....go ahead SAY IT !!!! I dare ya

smurfs.jpg

..aren't they all busy right now filling orders for Chocolate bunnies for easter?..this is your busy season after all,... yay2.gif

Mmmmmmmmmm chocolate and beer.... Belgium, what's not to like cloud9.gif

Bah! No Cadbury Eggs in Waffle Country. tongue.gif

Russ,

Were the comics secured within the cardboard framework to prevent any movement to the edges of the cardboard where damage could occur? I try to leave at least 1" around all edges so in the event it does get banged around, the books are still secured to the middle of the cardboard, safe from potential damage.

Kermit, I know your pizzed and upset about your comic being damaged, but it's the Postal Service that should be getting the blunt of your anger and perhaps a little directed inwards for not getting the insurance.

Russ, I don't feel you are under any obligation to refund anything to Kermit, but any refund compensation given wouldn't hurt your PR and good seller reputation if you know what I mean. Completely up to you on that though.

Remember, the real culprit here is the Postal Service for their extreme mishandling of this package.

Nice summary, although I think Russ did more than most in trying to resolve the situation with the $100 store credit.

I agree, and Belgians too.

Oh great...pick on the small countries sign-rantpost.gif

...Switzerland is a small country,..Belgium is a rest stop,... yay.gif

Say it to our national symbol....go ahead SAY IT !!!! I dare ya

smurfs.jpg

..aren't they all busy right now filling orders for Chocolate bunnies for easter?..this is your busy season after all,... yay2.gif

Mmmmmmmmmm chocolate and beer.... Belgium, what's not to like cloud9.gif

Bah! No Cadbury Eggs in Waffle Country. tongue.gif

foreheadslap.gif

In all reality the most expensive comic, being the GS #1 was in a mylite2 with a fullback. If you look at the picture of the damage to that book it is clear the amount of force it was subjected to is far greater than could be expected. Mylar is very strong and the mylite2's are even harder to crease as you know.

I mean, how much damage has to be exerted to a book like this? Not only did the envelope get shredded and ripped on the bottom corner, but it also dented roughly 1 inch of the cardboard pieces, and then did this to the mylar. It wasn't about sliding, this happened all in one fell swoop I believe.

DSC02158.jpg

As many of you know comics can't move very well inside a mylite. Pair that with a thick fullback and micropaper they move even less.

These comics were all placed against each other in opposite directions and wrapped with a shrink wrap or pallet wrap. Then the cardboard was taped around it. So the comics really couldn't move well. If you take the whole piece, the whole cardboard with the comics and smashed that onto the corner hard enough, it wouldn't matter if the comics could move or not.

If you just look at the whole envelope, look at each corner. This package has been through heck. These comics all received the denting from the bottom right corner that is ripped and shredded. When the envelope fell, the comics and cardboard inside were traveling the same speed so when it smashed into the ground the impact transferred to everything inside. Here is a picture of the envelope that you haven't seen.

gpm.jpg

As far as what I offered I thought it was fair. Anything the post office would give in return would be handed to Kermit, and I would issue the $100 credit which he could of used during a sale so it really was worth around $130-140. I can understand how he might not want to use it because of not wanting comics or whatever, but it was a fair and honest offer to me.

Russ,

if the books were secured in such a way that they could not slide, then it would have made a difference. Looking at that package shows that it was most likely dropped on a corner, the inner comic sandwich slid out from the protective overlap of the 2 boards and got the corners and edges bent/blunted as a result.

Again, I'm going to have to agree with this observation. The bagged and boarded books MUST ALWAYS be securely taped to the oversized protective cardboard to prevent them from sliding in the package. I've received comics shipped domesticly that weren't taped to the cardboard, and they suffered the same kind of damage shown here.

I use the Priority Mail tape to do this and could drop the package off of my house without the books sliding to the edge of the package. And yes, there does appear to be some damage done to the protective cardboard used in this package, but the damage is limited to the outer edges of it. Since this cardboard is larger than the comics, if the comics were securely taped to the center of the cardboard, they would likely have survived intact.

ComicSupply and Kermit...it appears that nobody is completely innocent or guilty here, and I can understand tempers tend to flare in situations like this. Would you both consider trying to compromise again in an effort to squash this?

ComicSupply, you initially offered a store credit of $100. Is that offer still good? And Kermit, couldn't you sell these books on eBay and maybe get some more of you money back (maybe $100 of it)? You'd still be out some money, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it seems right now, don't you think?

How about it, guys? Truce? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Russ

If you just look at the whole envelope, look at each corner. This package has been through heck. These comics all received the denting from the bottom right corner that is ripped and shredded.

Just a correction, the couple of corners are ripped/shreded because of the way i opened the package they got that way (cut a central part with a scissors and at the end of package ended opening/shreding up with my finger), but the impact you describe is there indeed and visible.

As far as what I offered I thought it was fair. Anything the post office would give in return would be handed to Kermit, and I would issue the $100 credit which he could of used during a sale so it really was worth around $130-140. I can understand how he might not want to use it because of not wanting comics or whatever, but it was a fair and honest offer to me.

It would help a lot if it was possible the refund instead of credit store (i just want to avoid to go by another situation such as this...sparing us both more possible trouble, that's all, hope you can understand my concerns).

i sent you a PM Russ... flowerred.gif

regards

Again, I'm going to have to agree with this observation. The bagged and boarded books MUST ALWAYS be securely taped to the oversized protective cardboard to prevent them from sliding in the package. I've received comics shipped domesticly that weren't taped to the cardboard, and they suffered the exact same kind of damage shown here.

That has been my main point since day one...books that are only sandwiched without anything to prevent them from bumping around will end up with this type of damage.

Truces that's all i've been asking and searching, never wanted something like this to explode and turn things even worse/difficult to deal with...

regards

I get the top corners. I am talking about the bottom right corner. You clearly didn't cut that with the scissors.

Russ, in all honesty i really can't say 100% for sure if that bottom right corner was shreded/ripped before opening it...but i have the felling it wasn't.

but again can't say for sure

regards

You are saying that the corner that we see ripped on the bottom right corner was done by you?

That rip stops at the custom label. If you were the one to do it why would you of just ripped it a little bit and stopped?

Clearly that rip was done by the drop that damaged the comic book. I don't know of anyone who opens the bottom of a envelope by ripping it, and then just opens from the top.

You are saying that the corner that we see ripped on the bottom right corner was done by you?

That rip stops at the custom label. If you were the one to do it why would you of just ripped it a little bit and stopped?

Clearly that rip was done by the drop that damaged the comic book. I don't know of anyone who opens the bottom of a envelope by ripping it, and then just opens from the top.

Russ, won't argue that point since i don't clearly remember how it was (it could have had the small ripp due to shreding the end/corner of the enveloppe with my finger)...but i accept/understand your point.

regards

ps- again, i sent you a pm...

ou didn't want insurance, you didn't want to declare it for what it is worth, then HOW AM I 100% RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? I offered you $100 for this, and to me $100 back on a $260 purchase isn't that bad for something that you requested.

...and people wonder why a large number of sellers don't want to ship out of the country. makepoint.gif It's easy to criticize the packaging after the fact, but obviously, this system had worked for years now. A box could have been damaged just as easily as the envelope, there really is no fool proof packaging against the post office. There's a reason why most sellers require insurance & let the buyer know he is on his own if he doesn't want to pay for it. I believe the $100 good faith credit was more than reasonable in this case. I've shipped overseas & declared a low value, but the buyer understood he was on his own if the package had problems. All that said, I would probably gone with a box on an order that large.

I agree. Why don't you two guys take this discussion to email or the telephone? I think we've all seen what you have to say at this point.

I agree that there was some considerable mishandling by the post office after looking at the envelope.

As a shipper, knowing that this could happen would be all I need to do to upgrade the shipping methodology (even if it meant increased shipping costs).

Kermit, I know your pizzed and upset about your comic being damaged, but it's the Postal Service that should be getting the blunt of your anger and perhaps a little directed inwards for not getting the insurance.

Russ, I don't feel you are under any obligation to refund anything to Kermit, but any refund compensation given wouldn't hurt your PR and good seller reputation if you know what I mean. Completely up to you on that though.

Remember, the real culprit here is the Postal Service for their extreme mishandling of this package.

Nice summary, although I think Russ did more than most in trying to resolve the situation with the $100 store credit.

Very true. I just wasn't sure if that offer was still on the table.

I think the idea of selling them on ebay to recoop some of the losses, taking the store credit, and then anything that you could possibly get out of the PO is the best case scenario for you Kermit.

That's far better than a total loss. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the idea of selling them on ebay to recoop some of the losses, taking the store credit, and then anything that you could possibly get out of the PO is the best case scenario for you Kermit.

Sounds like a strategy...And I'm sure if Kermit doesn't want to use the $100 store credit, regular CS customers could "buy" the store credit from him....

Sounds like a strategy...And I'm sure if Kermit doesn't want to use the $100 store credit, regular CS customers could "buy" the store credit from him....

C.

That would be a good idea...i'm sure we could reach at this here on the boards.

The 100$ refund + whatever comes from the USPS would alreadt be a much better scenarion than the actual one.

Now would like to hear the other part have his saying...hope we can move forward.

regards

ps- sent you a pm yesterday R.

ou didn't want insurance, you didn't want to declare it for what it is worth, then HOW AM I 100% RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? I offered you $100 for this, and to me $100 back on a $260 purchase isn't that bad for something that you requested.

...and people wonder why a large number of sellers don't want to ship out of the country. makepoint.gif It's easy to criticize the packaging after the fact, but obviously, this system had worked for years now. A box could have been damaged just as easily as the envelope, there really is no fool proof packaging against the post office. There's a reason why most sellers require insurance & let the buyer know he is on his own if he doesn't want to pay for it. I believe the $100 good faith credit was more than reasonable in this case. I've shipped overseas & declared a low value, but the buyer understood he was on his own if the package had problems. All that said, I would probably gone with a box on an order that large.

I agree. Why don't you two guys take this discussion to email or the telephone? I think we've all seen what you have to say at this point.

That's all i ever wanted...

wink.gif

regards