• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filling a claim at the USPS

124 posts in this topic

On another note, we do what our customer's ask. If they want GPM they get it, if they want boxed Surface they get it, etc etc.

BINGO!!!

If a customer doesn't want to pay the extra $$ to ship securely in a BOX and also doesn't want the 'ol taxman to collect, then what's a seller to do??? Eat an extra $25 in shipping??? How else can those books have been packaged any better??? 5 books 2 pieces of cardbord wrap and tape... do you really think anything else would fit into a GPM Flat Envelope???

C'mon people!!!

Kermit... I am sorry for your trouble and I know I'd be pizzed as well... but I don't really think Russ did a bad job of packing for what he had to work with. I have recieved nothing but stellar packing jobs from him in the past confused-smiley-013.gif I think if we can afford $300 in comics, we can afford the extra $20-30 to have it shipped securely to avoid this type of problem!

That's why i asked him clearly if the way he packed up was enough to prevent any kind of damage and if that wasn't the case i wouldn't mind paying and extra couple of bucks (25$ extra for a box?! where did you got that?!)...

The way things were packed up prevent the comics from direct hit damage, but did nothing to rpevent the simple handling SLIDING/BUMPING effect. When i picked up the enveloppe, even before opening it, i've felt them inside slidding and immediately had a very bad feeling. Cuted the top of the enveloppe and looked inside, and watched in horror all those bumped/chewed up corners...

HOw else could they have packed up any better?! ever heard about tape and plastic bubble wrapp?! they do wonders on these kind of situation...

the problem here isn't the airmail enveloppe, but what was inside of it... tonofbricks.gif

you can send comics in a sturdy box, but if they aren't well snugged/stuffed together inside, the box won't do nothing to prevent from major corners damage!!! makepoint.gif

regards

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

How else can those books have been packaged any better???

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

here are some pics of the most damaged comic and the most expensive one a 7.5 giant size n°1 that is now a 4.5...let the horror festival begin!!! 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

i've puted it away, can't even look at this ragged puppy frown.gif

DSC02155.jpg

DSC02166.jpg

this is the best from the lot, a DD 162 initially in NM...now maybe i can get a solid Fine insane.gif

DSC02159.jpg

in the end, i'm out of comics for the long run... 893censored-thumb.giftonofbricks.giftongue.gif

regards

On another note, we do what our customer's ask. If they want GPM they get it, if they want boxed Surface they get it, etc etc.

BINGO!!!

If a customer doesn't want to pay the extra $$ to ship securely in a BOX and also doesn't want the 'ol taxman to collect, then what's a seller to do??? Eat an extra $25 in shipping??? How else can those books have been packaged any better??? 5 books 2 pieces of cardbord wrap and tape... do you really think anything else would fit into a GPM Flat Envelope???

C'mon people!!!

Kermit... I am sorry for your trouble and I know I'd be pizzed as well... but I don't really think Russ did a bad job of packing for what he had to work with. I have recieved nothing but stellar packing jobs from him in the past confused-smiley-013.gif I think if we can afford $300 in comics, we can afford the extra $20-30 to have it shipped securely to avoid this type of problem!

That's why i asked him clearly if the way he packed up was enough to prevent any kind of damage and if that wasn't the case i wouldn't mind paying and extra couple of bucks (25$ extra for a box?! where did you got that?!)...

The way things were packed up prevent the comics from direct hit damage, but did nothing to rpevent the simple handling SLIDING/BUMPING effect. When i picked up the enveloppe, even before opening it, i've felt them inside slidding and immediately had a very bad feeling. Cuted the top of the enveloppe and looked inside, and watched in horror all those bumped/chewed up corners...

HOw else could they have packed up any better?! ever heard about tape and plastic bubble wrapp?! they do wonders on these kind of situation...

the problem here isn't the airmail enveloppe, but what was inside of it... tonofbricks.gif

you can send comics in a sturdy box, but if they aren't well snugged/stuffed together inside, the box won't do nothing to prevent from major corners damage!!! makepoint.gif

regards

GPM Flat is roughly $9.00

A BOX shipped overseas airmail is roughly $30-40.

And don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be an advocate of anyone here. Just concerned about situations like this! Every time I ship overseas I get a knot in my gut until I know it has arrived safely! There is little to no recourse for a seller who sends a book with a falsely declared customs forum! And unfortunately most if not all buyers from overseas want it this way! AND GPM isn't even insurable!!!

Again... a bad situation for both parties...

BINGO!!!

C'mon people!!!

regards

GPM Flat is roughly $9.00

A BOX shipped overseas airmail is roughly $30-40.

And don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be an advocate of anyone here. Just concerned about situations like this! Every time I ship overseas I get a knot in my gut until I know it has arrived safely! There is little to no recourse for a seller who sends a book with a falsely declared customs forum! And unfortunately most if not all buyers from overseas want it this way! AND GPM isn't even insurable!!!

Again... a bad situation for both parties...

John

A box from the USA to europe costs roughly 20$ to 25$... wink.gif

regards

Sorry... I normally ship all my overseas packages from Canada. They allow for a minimum of $100 insurance included on any overseas package. And the $30-40 price comes from a priority type of service.

I would NEVER ship a book over $20 in a priority flat envelope. If the buyer doesn't want to pay the extra for a secured package, then I'm in no hurry to sell and won't! confused-smiley-013.gif

Good luck 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Always use nuke proof shipping, Sterling style:

• One oversized box (at least 1" free space on all sides of product when placed in box)
  • Properly bagged and boarded books
  • Oversized cardboard and/or ton of bubble wrap to secure books. If using cardboard tape the book so it is guaranteed that it won't slide to the other edges whereby exposing the possibility of damage.
  • Peanuts (not newspaper) to fill out the box. A layer on the bottom, the package, and then peanuts around all four sides to the top.
  • Use the fiber based tape to eliminate tampering

You can obviously do this cheaper but I personally would have peace of mind that the books will get there in one piece. I know some folks here are a fan of using envelopes...NOT ME.

BTW, I think this was a learning experience for both sides...if it's important enough to protect, then it's important enough to insure. In regards to shipping in envelopes, I'd personally freak if any large dollar amount of comics came in an envelope, protected or not. Just a heads up to anyone who ships to me.

Specifically regarding this incident, I agree that it is a series of decisions and unfortunate events that have left both feeling dismayed. I hope both buyer and seller can work out a mutually agreeable solution.

thanks for the comments...

i hope too... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

regards

Sorry... I normally ship all my overseas packages from Canada. They allow for a minimum of $100 insurance included on any overseas package. And the $30-40 price comes from a priority type of service.

I would NEVER ship a book over $20 in a priority flat envelope. If the buyer doesn't want to pay the extra for a secured package, then I'm in no hurry to sell and won't! confused-smiley-013.gif

can't say i disagree with your position as a seller J. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

regards

One of the talking points is that you CAN secure a priority flat envelop...Sure it takes a little time and effort but you can.

Like Darth pointed out earlier I, and I'm going out on a limb here, am prolly the person on the boards that has received the most GPE over the years. Some have arrived looking far worse than Kermits package...I've never had any book damaged.

Luck ? Maybe but after receiving about 500 of these you can't all attribute it to luck.

I consider the GPE to be nothing more than a shell, a postal stamp if you will. It will not protect your books, you need to set a frame of mind that you are building your own sturdy package and then just putting the GPE around it.

Some sellers will not go the extra mile, which I can understand, I'm lucky in that way that I have some friends here on the board that will take care of it for me. If somebody does not want to send it to me, then I ask them to send to one of these persons that builds a bullet-proof package for me.

On the other hand I have to say that my cut-off point is $250...If the contents of the package exceeds this amount I go for the box. Not because it's a lot sturdier, but because I can get signed delivery confirmation on it (again not using insurance)

Only problem is that a box takes at least twice as long as a GPE.....

Kermit,

With all due respect I simply do not see how you think that the bumping and shifting is to blame here. Do you really think for a nanosecond that if these books were taped, or wrapped in bubblewrap it would of made a difference?

As I have told you, all I can go by is what I know. I know that the packages I sent to the UK, Australia, Germany, Canada, etc have all been accepted safe and sound. Now, your saying all the sudden I don't know what I am doing. That I should protect against the bumping and shifting.

When in reality, you know what???? I did try to protect against that. I wrapped them, I bagged/boarded them, I put cardboard pieces around them that will not crush until at least 60psi is exerted on them.

For whatever reason you feel that there is some magical solution, some magical bubblewrap that will keep the comic books in a static state on the boards. In some magical way all their potential energy is transfered into kinetic state by my mispacking.

I am sorry, I believe I have been more than fair. You bought a book that was listed at $400 on sale for $250. It got messed up by the post office, I am sorry. I offered you $100 credit and all you can tell me is how money doesn't come easily in France and that you have slaved and saved for years for this comic book. How the book isn't worth it now and how sorry and sad and how unfortunate you are for this. Well, you know what I am an easy guy to get along with. But when you out me on the boards for no reason and make me look like the bad guy you will get nothing from me. When you give me some story about how I certainly don't know what I am doing, and that how you are unable to accept any responsibility for this then I am just floored. You didn't want insurance, you didn't want to declare it for what it is worth, then HOW AM I 100% RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? I offered you $100 for this, and to me $100 back on a $260 purchase isn't that bad for something that you requested.

This is how I put food on the table for me and my family. How I sustain myself. If you really think that my packing is poor or that I am unprofessional then I sadly must just walk away and throw my hands up and say, "What else can I do?"

You think my packing is bad, well you know what it isn't. 100's of customers per week recieve the exact same packaging with no problem. Whether it is to Ohio or to Africa it is the same.You can sit and say it is the packaging all day, but you know what, you don't do this for a living. If you were a mechanic I wouldn't in a second tell you how to fix my brakes or my engine.

In the end, you will just have to wait and see what the post office is willing to give. I have been more than fair, more than honest, more than accepting, but your attitude and your woe is me cries have made me sick and ill.

And I am sorry, but Kermit, you say the cardboard shows no sign of damage.

I am the only one here who sees the damage to the corner from a very high and sharp and damaging drop to this corner? Those were what protected the comic.

The package was dropped and/or smashed. The comic books followed along with the cardboard, the comics slide in the bag and BANG. Nothing you can do about that.

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02178.jpg

Ok, here we go again...

With all due respect I simply do not see how you think that the bumping and shifting is to blame here. Do you really think for a nanosecond that if these books were taped, or wrapped in bubblewrap it would of made a difference?

If they had been i could give you a more correct answer, but i think it would make a difference yes. Would it change everything? Would they appear in perfect shape?! Who knows?!

For whatever reason you feel that there is some magical solution, some magical bubblewrap that will keep the comic books in a static state on the boards. In some magical way all their potential energy is transfered into kinetic state by my mispacking.

I could use your cynical comments to explain/try to understood how come that big force didn't damage at all the interior cardboards...yep, maybe that's magic around there!!!

I am sorry, I believe I have been more than fair. You bought a book that was listed at $400 on sale for $250. It got messed up by the post office, I am sorry. I offered you $100 credit and all you can tell me is how money doesn't come easily in France and that you have slaved and saved for years for this comic book. How the book isn't worth it now and how sorry and sad and how unfortunate you are for this. Well, you know what I am an easy guy to get along with. But when you out me on the boards for no reason and make me look like the bad guy you will get nothing from me. When you give me some story about how I certainly don't know what I am doing, and that how you are unable to accept any responsibility for this then I am just floored. You didn't want insurance, you didn't want to declare it for what it is worth, then HOW AM I 100% RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? I offered you $100 for this, and to me $100 back on a $260 purchase isn't that bad for something that you requested.

Ok Russ, first some IMPORTANT corrections:

- The bokk was being sold at 345$, i bought it discounted for 245$ + some more 3 comics.

- You offered me 100$ when i asked you if the USPS won't work (no refund). Yeah i was pizzed off by spending almost 300$ and having only 100$ CREDIT STORE!!!

- Sorry for telling how i how hard is to get $$$, when i've got burned down without being my fault!!!

- I OUT YOU ON THE BOARDS?????? I never mentioned you or anything related with you on the boards, publicly!!! This are already hard, please don't try to wash dirty laundry that dopesn't exist, ok ???!!! If you want to have arguments, please find some that truly exist, don't make up!!!

You freely came out saying this was related to your business, i never indicated that!!!

- Did you failed to see/read the several times i wrote that I DON'T THINK YOU'RE TO TAKE ALL THE RESPONSABILITIES!!! How many times do i have to say/write this?! Again, don't use/creat arguments that don't exist, OK???!!!

This is how I put food on the table for me and my family. How I sustain myself. If you really think that my packing is poor or that I am unprofessional then I sadly must just walk away and throw my hands up and say, "What else can I do?"

Yeah, just walk away...what else you can do?! keep on doing what you've been doing (near the USPS) and think on a reply/compensation if things don't move forward!!! How's that?!

You think my packing is bad, well you know what it isn't. 100's of customers per week recieve the exact same packaging with no problem. Whether it is to Ohio or to Africa it is the same.You can sit and say it is the packaging all day, but you know what, you don't do this for a living. If you were a mechanic I wouldn't in a second tell you how to fix my brakes or my engine.

I know you're a big seller and all, with a good record (that's why i bought from you), but without being pretentious, even if i sell much lesser than you, i could give you a couple of tips to upgrade your packaging. Does it takes more time/work?! Yes, but it's worth, believe me...

In the end, you will just have to wait and see what the post office is willing to give. I have been more than fair, more than honest, more than accepting, but your attitude and your woe is me cries have made me sick and ill.

Sorry to make you sick... insane.gifmakepoint.gif want to trade places?!

regards

What exactly are you saying by interior cardboards? Those cardboard pieces that you are holding in your hand ARE THE CARDBOARDS surrounding the comics. If you are saying they haven't been damaged at all, then what are you smoking?

Can you not see the dents and creases?

And I am sorry, but Kermit, you say the cardboard shows no sign of damage.

I am the only one here who sees the damage to the corner from a very high and sharp and damaging drop to this corner? Those were what protected the comic.

The package was dropped and/or smashed. The comic books followed along with the cardboard, the comics slide in the bag and BANG. Nothing you can do about that.

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02178.jpg

i've said little to no damage...all the comcis had diferent corners bumped/crushed, while there's onlya slight bump in one corner of the cardboards...yep, that must be magic and a pretty good one too!!!

again, am i saying/said that this was all your fault?! try to read things up Russ...

regards

What exactly are you saying by interior cardboards? Those cardboard pieces that you are holding in your hand ARE THE CARDBOARDS surrounding the comics. If you are saying they haven't been damaged at all, then what are you smoking?

Can you not see the dents and creases?

again, yes there's an impact on ONE CORNER, not all the 4 of them!!!

oh and try to keep the "what you're smoking comments to yourself", things are already bad/hugly without going that road...won't help the communication!!!

regards

And no, I am sorry but the way the comics were placed by me during packing made it so that if that exact corner was damaged then all the comics would be damaged by that corner.

Not exactly the same spot because some comics were reversed and flipped in the envelope as to not crease spine tension.