• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest comic in YOUR collection

182 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif That's pretty cool. How did you set up that trade? Kinda random...

I sent him a list of all the tapes I have, and he told me all the ones he wanted. We agreed on how many tapes I'd need to send him for the Avengers #4 (can't remember how many it was). I made tape after tape after tape. I'd start a 6- or 8-hr. tape when I left for work, I'd start another one when I got home, make tapes until it was time for bed, and then start another one when I went to bed. This went on for weeks.

BUT, like I said, when the smoke cleared and my VCRs finally got a chance to rest, I ended up with an Avengers #4 and still had all my originals (I used to trade wrestling tapes, so I've got a few hundred). He had a few boxes of wrestling tape and was SANS his Avengers #4. But as long as both parties were happy and got what they wanted, it was a successful transaction.

I meant how did you determine that he wanted wrestling tapes? It's not like I see a book that I want and ask if they will take episodes of "What's Happening Now?" in return. Are you a member of a wrestling board or something?

I meant how did you determine that he wanted wrestling tapes? It's not like I see a book that I want and ask if they will take episodes of "What's Happening Now?" in return. Are you a member of a wrestling board or something?

Oh, gotcha. He posted on a wrestling tape trading board I used to frequent, saying that he was looking to trade comics for wrestling tapes. So I e-mailed him and it went from there.

Oh, gotcha. He posted on a wrestling tape trading board I used to frequent, saying that he was looking to trade comics for wrestling tapes. So I e-mailed him and it went from there.

Ah. Pretty cool. I like hearing stories about interesting trades like that. In our money based economy, bartering and swapping are a breath of fresh air.

Sounds like you got the best end of that deal.!

Ah. Pretty cool. I like hearing stories about interesting trades like that. In our money based economy, bartering and swapping are a breath of fresh air.

There are actually pro barter organizations where services and products can be swapped instead of money....pretty cool.

There are actually pro barter organizations where services and products can be swapped instead of money....pretty cool.

That's interesting. Personally, I really like trading comics...as opposed to selling them and buying what you want with the money. Trades always seem to turn out better for both parties.

That's interesting. Personally, I really like trading comics...as opposed to selling them and buying what you want with the money. Trades always seem to turn out better for both parties.

I've done quite a bit of trading in the past (wrestling tapes, bootleg concerts on CD, and comics), and you're right, it works out well. As long as both parties are happy and get what they want, there don't have to be strict guidelines.

Sounds like you got the best end of that deal.!

Definitely! Every time I look at that book, I shake my head and can't believe I got it in return for a bunch of copies of wrestling tapes. But hey, he was happy and I was happy when it all ended, so it went well!

It wasn't 100% smooth (I learned that VHS tapes sent via USPS media mail take a LONG freakin' time to get to Hawaii, some of the footage wasn't in the quality he was expecting, we'd never traded before so I was nervous that he'd just rip me off and keep those boxes of tapes, etc.), but we both got what we wanted.

I've done quite a bit of trading in the past (wrestling tapes, bootleg concerts on CD, and comics), and you're right, it works out well. As long as both parties are happy and get what they want, there don't have to be strict guidelines.

I did a TON of bootleg trading in the past, but it was before burners became really popular, so most of it was on analog. I still have a few hundred of the tapes lying around. The cool part was that it was extremely cheap to put that collection together; the only expenses were the cost of blanks and shipping. Since it's illegal to sell the material (and since most of the people were hippies) they would copy their stuff for free if I sent them some blanks.

What bands do you have?

Since it's illegal to sell the material (and since most of the people were hippies) they would copy their stuff for free if I sent them some blanks.

Yeah, I've done my share of 2-for-1 trading to help the newbies get started. smile.gif

What bands do you have?

I've got mostly hard rock - a TON of Van Halen, a bunch of Ozzy and Guns N Roses, some Black Sabbath, and a smattering of 80's hair bands - Great White, Motley Crue, etc. Got a bunch of other odds & ends - Edwin McCain, Hootie, Dixie Chicks, Billy Joel (solo and one of the tours w/ Elton John), Melissa Etheridge, Fleetwood Mac, Sarah McLaughlin, etc.

I haven't traded in quite a while. I've got two boxes worth of discs, my interest waned, and I just ran out of room. I'd be the same way with comics if I couldn't donate them to Comics4Kids. I would have run out of space long ago.

One of my most valuable books is my Human Torch #8 CGC 9.6 San Francisco Copy- it is stunning. My fav book is my Red Dragon #7 CGC 9.4 Mile High-super cool cover. I remember when I was just getting into the business full time. This is the early 90s and I am at the Chicago Comic Con (before Wizard took over). Bill Ponseti of More Fun Comics and I are talking in front of his booth and he shows me a copy of Red Dragon #7 in about Good condition. He told me what a cool cover it was and how rare it was..I thought it was cool but didn't like the condition. I decided since I had never seen the book before that I would buy it. After I paid all of $100 for it I remember staring at it rather intently and a little voice in my head said "One day you will own the best copy of this comic". About 3 years ago I was in SD and John Verzyl invites me by his booth to see some funny books. As soon as I see this book I am internally drooling. I try to play it cool but John is pretty sharp. Nevertheless I paid full retail and then some but I got the book that I wanted. Boy oh Boy I love that cover. Having that book made me feel like I had arrived. It was a special experience...so does anybody want to buy it-just kidding. I will be buried with it.

VZ

Here is a scan of a copy I have in inventory right now-

http://pages.metropoliscomics.com/365/PictPage/1921691796.html

pretty cool, huh?

i think fantastic comics #3 is the greatest cover of the golden age -perhaps of all time!!! how is the story? Let me guess you never read it! Man you gotta read it at least once!!!! As for myself i have a few sweet silver age marvel keys but Fantastic #3 is a pretty hard act to follow so i don't think i am gonna bother posting them now!!!