• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest comic in YOUR collection

182 posts in this topic

I think that for many posters on this board, there's a difference between the "greatest" comic in their collection, and their *favorite*. I know this is true for me. Greatest would be Iron Man #1 in NM 9.4, Batman #20 in FN, and Ghost Rider #1 in NM 9.8 (all conditions are my opinion; not CGC).

But as far as favorites, I'd go with Four Color 199 in about VF (D. Duck "Sheriff of Bullet Valley"), Four Color 223 in Good (D. Duck "Lost in the Andes") and Four Color 386 in VG (first Uncle Scrooge). Somehow these just capture more of my childhood than even the late Silver Age Marvels and DCs... or the individual stories are more memorable, or something...

Garthgantu

Favorite copy (and probably the best book currently) is a Journey Into Mystery 112 NM- (not CGC'd, but I feel confident in the grade)... and the weird part was, I never paid for the book... it was a gift from an ex-girlfriend (one of the best things I got out of the relationship... just kidding... sort of).

Favorite copy (and probably the best book currently) is a Journey Into Mystery 112 NM- .

I thought you sold that to TVL, who promptly listed it at a higher price and grade. yay.gif

My favorites:

GL#76 - CGC 8.5 (big ups to BK for the upgrade!)

FF#57 - VG/F (first back issue)

Swamp Thing #21 - CGC 9.6 (of course!)

100 Bullets - CGC 9.4 (slab signed by Azz, Risso, and Johnson)

I've posted this many times before, but it fits the category. Many years ago, Mark Wilson was selling all or most of the Exciting Comics Mile High run. I purchased #17 & #20 for $450 each, but when they arrived, #20 had a defect that I didn't like, so I exchanged it for #31.

I can't imagine ever selling this book...

exciting31.jpg

Just b/c I like this book so much I frequently feel the need to post it's picture here. grin.gif As mentioned in another thread, this book was sent to me from Canada in a flimsy bubble-wrap envelope, left on my doorstep on a rainy morning, but no damage!

hulk1.jpg

Dr banner, how much did you pay for that beautiful book?

Wow, gorgeous copy of FF #12. I look forward to getting one of those one day (although I'm sure I'll be setting for a reading copy 27_laughing.gif ). Nice book!

Sounds like that IS a reading copy!

I cringe at the thought of reading a book that $$$.

O.k, an "official" reading copy. smile.gif MY level of reading copy! 27_laughing.gif

I cringe more at the thought of dropping a book that valuable while I'm in the middle of reading it. smile.gif

O.k, an "official" reading copy. smile.gif MY level of reading copy! 27_laughing.gif

I cringe more at the thought of dropping a book that valuable while I'm in the middle of reading it. smile.gif

If you handle a lot of expensive books, it really gets easier. What's funny is when I get a modern off the shelf. People see me handling it and wonder why I treat it like it was made of gold leaf. Hard to make a non-collector understand that one.