• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade find from 1965!

359 posts in this topic

Great find. Not to bright to list so many at once and tell the background story. He also should have each auction feature the actual book you will recieve.

I bet the prices will still go pretty high - plenty of gamblers out there willing to take the risk of possibly getting a 9.4 to submit to CGC.

I feel sorry for any other sellers trying to sell any of these issues this week.

Unfortunately, the books don't appear to be in all that great a shape. Check out the ASM 28, for which front cover defects are easy to spot. The best one of the lot, pictured for all of the ASM 28 auctions, has an impacted LLFC with a half-inch color break, and at least 3 significant color breaking spine stresses. Nice looking book, but not what could conservatively be called high grade.

I was going to mention the same thing. There are visible spine ticks on the ASM 28s and the FF 36s appear to have some bumped corners and slight edge wear.

I'm presuming the seller is telling the truth about this find, so I can only assume that "condition" never crossed the mind of whoever originally packed the boxes at the warehouse.

Seeing that even out of the box books were dinged up back then makes HG gems even that much more amazing. 893whatthe.gif

That said, I would gladly take any of these books. grin.gif My sense, however, is that bidding will go through the stratosphere due to bidders who are gambling on getting 9.6/9.8 copies.

Great find. Not to bright to list so many at once and tell the background story.

While I agree with you, the seller is in a bit of a Catch-22.

If he only showed a few books at a time and didn't release the backstory, most of us here would chalk it up to another "grandpa's attic" story and suspect the books were restored.

He really needed to tell the story and show the pics to establish credibility.

He could have had them slabbed and sold them without the story, but chances are it would have bumped the census numbers and the cat would be out of the bag. His best bet would have been to have them slabbed and tried to unload them before the census was updated.

My sense, however, is that bidding will go through the stratosphere due to bidders who are gambling on getting 9.6/9.8 copies.

anyone with the sense god gave a goat knows there isn't anything in there that HG.

If this guy actually believed that these were HG, they would be heading to

CGC to turn them into a real gold mine...

I have to take the JC stance on this one...

as a skeptic...

tongue.gif

Another find with some nice FF 48s... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That must be the most common major key of the Silver Age now by far!

If prices stay surpressed I'll take a shot at one of them. cloud9.gif

What a dummy for telling everybody he's got 48 boxes filled with the same comics.

48 high grade FF 48s... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifinsane.gif

He sould have put them up a few at a time and kept his mouth shut.

And CGCed the sharp ones too... foreheadslap.gif

I love that he's selling them this way. *GLUT* Maybe I can pick up a FF 48 finally. grin.gif

No, these are far from "flawless" - white pages, sure - but there are plenty of defects to keep them out of 9.4/9.6 range

ed_3.JPG

Larry

Ouch.

I was thinking of launching a few bids under the presumption the books might be 8.5s...

After seeing this photo, I don't think so.... 893whatthe.gif

I wonder if the books were bundled with wire or string inside the box. Perhaps that would account for this spine damage. confused-smiley-013.gif

Another thought...

The fact that each auction doesn't have its own photo is troubling.

What happens when 4 people win a copy of the book below?

Does the one who paid the most get the best copy and the buyer who won with the lowest bid get the copy below?

Or does the best copy go to the person who pays first and so on down the line?

ed_3.JPG

Wow, that's just crazy, and I'm thinking that there had to be some primo copies in the boxes, and that they just might be winging their way to CGC... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Keep an eye on this seller in say a month or so.

Wow, that's just crazy, and I'm thinking that there had to be some primo copies in the boxes, and that they just might be winging their way to CGC... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Keep an eye on this seller in say a month or so.

I hope so, it just doesn't make sense to me that ASM 28 VF and up is priced so ridiculious...

it would be cool to see that drop a couple of hundred.

cool.gif

No, I don't see these specific issues affecting overall values that much, but what they should do is illustrate that there are still "lurking hoardes" of virtually anything as recent as the 1960's.

Wow, that's just crazy, and I'm thinking that there had to be some primo copies in the boxes, and that they just might be winging their way to CGC...

...after going through a couple of warehouse finds in my day it's of no surprise to me,...I don't think people give enough credit for what it takes to get a NM silver book,...probably 90% of the books sold back then were 8.0 or less the day they hit the newsstands from distribution, packaging and handling,...let's face it folks they were dealing with 10 and 12 cent printed matter,...not pieces from the Louvre

Hey all,

I got the heads up on this site from John (Sheradon) so I just thought I would drop by and take a peek. To answer the few questions I saw, the boxes were wrapped in paper and then had a string that held each box tightly shut. Oh and as to the CGC bit, I will be sending in one set of the marvel books and a few of the charlton as well to have them graded, these cgc copies will stay with me, but as to the rest I figured its only fair to get these books out into the market and see what they go for. Its not my intention to try and gouge people for price with a CGC grade, it kind of takes all the fun out of collecting if you cant afford to get anything. I ran a chain of comic stores here in Utah in the early 90s and the one thing I learned is that speculation and taking the fun out of collecting will do nothing but kill the market.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks!!

Hey all,

I got the heads up on this site from John (Sheradon) so I just thought I would drop by and take a peek. To answer the few questions I saw, the boxes were wrapped in paper and then had a string that held each box tightly shut. Oh and as to the CGC bit, I will be sending in one set of the marvel books and a few of the charlton as well to have them graded, these cgc copies will stay with me, but as to the rest I figured its only fair to get these books out into the market and see what they go for. Its not my intention to try and gouge people for price with a CGC grade, it kind of takes all the fun out of collecting if you cant afford to get anything. I ran a chain of comic stores here in Utah in the early 90s and the one thing I learned is that speculation and taking the fun out of collecting will do nothing but kill the market.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks!!

What other books were in the boxes? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey all,

Thanks!!

Thanks for coming here. I would love to bid on a few but my concern is that what i bid on will not be what i get. You should list each auction with the front and back scans of the actual book you will win as well as a accurate grade.

Hopefully you would consider this as im sure others here and on eBay feel exactly the same.

Oh and as to the CGC bit, I will be sending in one set of the marvel books and a few of the charlton as well to have them graded, these cgc copies will stay with me, but as to the rest I figured its only fair to get these books out into the market and see what they go for. Its not my intention to try and gouge people for price with a CGC grade, it kind of takes all the fun out of collecting if you cant afford to get anything.

A few things, I am just curious as to why you would keep the slabbed set for yourself, and sell off the RAW stuff? You know the books are unrestored, why spend the money slabbing a set to keep if you know they are unrestored gems? Seems backwards, to me at least.. Especially since most of the books will be slabbed and relisted by the new owners after you sell them.

You are either very wealthy, or very altruistic

You also mention in all your auctions that the books are NM, if not MINT. Well from what I have seen that is not the case,by a longshot. It seems alot of these books suffer from NCB indents, and creases, bends and edge warping from being stacked improperly. You only list a photo of 1 book from each lot. Yet call them all NM/M. You claim you dont want to gouge people with a CGC grade, yet you dole out the elusive MINT word when describing the books. You said you want to see them go for FMV, well might I suggest listing each book with it's own photo and not assign a grade at all. To your credit you do welcome inquiries asking for larger higher res scans.

Sorry to sound cynical, I cannot help it

The books really are very amazing. flowerred.gif

Ze-

And BTW, will somebody make a database of all the photos, because I think we will see them in slabs VERY soon. Without the NCB creases and dents of course. These books have a high pressing potential.

There were quite a few western and war comics from Charlton, Fightin Marines, Fightin Airforce, Bullet boy, etc... Im going to package those up into lots and get them posted shortly too, Also, there were a few 'funny books' , richie rich and the like with a portion of the cover ripped off, those will be in thier own lot too but I dont expect to get too much from them.

Thanks!!