• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade find from 1965!

359 posts in this topic

according to his auction listing

"Books guaranteed to be exactly as represented and shown or full refund will be issued upon return of the item"

The problem with the guarantee is that there is a conflict between what is represented and what is shown.

They are respresented as NM. What is shown is not NM.

confused-smiley-013.gif

My God, why can't I ever find a stash like that for $700? I'd be thrilled to cherry pick the best and happily make scans of each individual undercopy for ebay. Graded accurately in the 6.0 to 8.0 range, I'd still make more than enough profit.

Why not me God, why not me? sorry.gif

Other than principle why would somebody hire a lawyer to go after what at most may be $300-500 of fraud if you couldn't get a refund from this particular seller? Wouldn't the laywer fees eat what ever money could be recovered?

Because the people out there sniiffing around for steals are the same type who think nothing of scamming others and would sell their grandmother for a dollar.

...Consider this... I paid $700 total for the books... as of this AM...

Selling: Auction quantity: 60 (58 will sell) Bids: 252 Amount: $9,079.47

So, yeah, Im crying myself to the bank....

boo hoo...

thumbsup2.gif

If someone buys a book and then wants to return it because they disagree with your grading, will you honor the return & refund the money?

Why would they disagree with the grading, they had the opportunity to view a hi res image of the book so they know exactly what they are getting. I dont see any returns or unsatified customers here.. I do however see the usual rumbling that starts when someone who is "not part of the club" comes in, does the books the right way and lets the public decide the value. Im not being rude here, but it would benefit alot of the extremely 'anal' collectors/dealers out there to remeber, you dont make the rules, you dont decide the prices. Thats what the public is for. Not a small elite group. I think these auctions show that.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He's doing it exactly the right way to maximize his return on the books.

3) Have an image that clearly shows the book isn't NM or NM/M or Minty Fresh or whatever, so when buyers scream about the grade he can say "I'm just a poor caveman. Your newfangled grading system confuses me. Just look at the picture."

foreheadslap.gif

"Books guaranteed to be exactly as represented and shown or full refund will be issued upon return of the item"

The problem with the guarantee is that there is a conflict between what is represented and what is shown.

They are respresented as NM. What is shown is not NM.

confused-smiley-013.gif

My God, why can't I ever find a stash like that for $700? I'd be thrilled to cherry pick the best and happily make scans of each individual undercopy for ebay. Graded accurately in the 6.0 to 8.0 range, I'd still make more than enough profit.

Don't worry, every dog has its day. Those books will be relisted in the 6.0 - 8.0 range or sold to a comic store screwy.gif

IMO.....he just didn't know what he was doing. He might have a better idea now....but I really don't think there was any malicious intent to defraud anyone. It was just a few years ago I would look at a VF book and call it NM. I mean sure...now I know better...but we should cut this guy some slack. crazy.gif

Then why come across as a jerk when told of the new standards and misleading discription? He is getting NM prices for F/VF and G books. When told of his misrepresentation and how some of the bidders expectations will fall short, he gives everybody the finger. He may be legit, but his people skills are as lacking as his grading skills.

Your right, his people skills are pretty bad.

I read and re-read his initial post on this thread, and it just doesn't sound like a guy who is knowingly....hmmmm...maybe I should say didn't sound like a guy who was knowingly mis-representing what he had. He came on board, thinking he was on cloud9.gif and faced the wolves...so to speak. Well, that didn't go very well and a few people helped take him out of his fantasy world and showed him what reality was. He didn't like that very much.

So he lashed out.....a knee-jerk reaction?

I mean he came from living in a comic version of "Simpson's ChocolateLand" to being accused of just not being a very nice person. And, it doesn't end there. He's realizing he now will have a problem with the people that win the auctions not getting what they expected due to the descriptions not being at all accurate. Again, I don't think it was his intention to do that. But now that he's got a face it, he's just not happy.

As far as him owning a few comic shops in the '90's.....there's still owner that don't know how to grade. Shops at the time were popping up everywhere 'cause everyone was buying comics in all kinds of grades and grading just was not as important back then as it is now. So, he's still living with that kind of mentality when it comes to grading.

The forum was there for him to lash out once we made him face his demons. It's what we do. grin.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Bottom line....is I really don't think he meant for this to happen, he's having a tough time climbing out and he's not looking forward to the potential back-lash from all his auctions.

Its nice for you guys to assume how I feel, but you really dont have a clue... so I will clear it up.

I found a smoking deal on these books, I posted them, like I said, to see what FMV would be on them. Not dealer opinion or dealer pricing... If I had wanted that I would have brought them to a local shop and sold them for 10% of value.

I find it really amusing that a few of you act like opening a comic shop is as easy as pie, its not, there is a ton of $$ and work that goes into it... Now opening an online comic shop, that is easy as pie... but thats off the point.

Demons, backlash, blah, blah, blah. Thats all in your own head, what we have is a great lot of comics in very nice condition and I stand by my grade, if you want to whine about it then dont bid. But you have all the info you need to make an educated decision on the books...

As to me not being happy...Consider this... I paid $700 total for the books... as of this AM...

Selling: Auction quantity: 60 (58 will sell) Bids: 252 Amount: $9,079.47

So, yeah, Im crying myself to the bank....

boo hoo...

thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He's doing it exactly the right way to maximize his return on the books.

8) Laugh all the way to the bank.

foreheadslap.gif

Other than principle...

You got it, not to mention that many business owners and execs have lawyers on FT or PT staff and would be able to do much of it on the cheap. And if you have enough money, burning a scammer just on principle can be a cleansing experience.

And it doesn't cost anything to contact various business, goverment and law enforcement groups.

Other than principle why would somebody hire a lawyer to go after what at most may be $300-500 of fraud if you couldn't get a refund from this particular seller? Wouldn't the laywer fees eat what ever money could be recovered?

No, we have lawyers on the board who would take this case dirt cheap just on principle. acclaim.gif

hiding behind the screen name is akin to being that kid that gets a block down the street, flips you the bird and then runs like hell knowing he wont get caught.

I wrote you hi.gif Giving my name and phone number, hoping to talk to you directly.

My phone must be broken...or you dont have free long distance.

Or gulp...you dont want to talk to me.

Ze-

hiding behind the screen name is akin to being that kid that gets a block down the street, flips you the bird and then runs like hell knowing he wont get caught.

I wrote you giving my name and phone number asking to talk to to directly.

Ze-

Or maybe he just doesn't have time to call you because HE'S TO BUSY SCREWING PEOPLE ON EBAY 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

What part of represented and shown are you missing.. I could see if there were no pics of the books and no addition to the site giving a URL for hi res scans....but damn, you guys are just phishing now..

Theres nothing wierd going on, just and honest seller, selling what he has, fully and accurately represented by photos so the buyer can see exactly what they are buying. So whats the problem??

What part of represented and shown are you missing.

You REPRESENT these issues as "NM.. yes they are NM!!!", yet your photos SHOW them as F/VF.

That's what the original poster was getting at.

I wrote you hi.gif Giving my name and phone number, hoping to talk to you directly.

Ze-

hoping to talk directly to me about what?? Unless you are buying my books there is nothing to talk about, right?

Ze-

hoping to talk directly to me about what?? Unless you are buying my books there is nothing to talk about, right?

Seriously?

I wanted to talk to you in person because many times so much is lost in an online conversation.

I have been up front about my dislike regarding your auction style, I said I would concede being an a hole towards you if you admitted you knew what the OS grading scale was.

I just wanted to discuss this with you. I really did mean it when I said I hope it all ends well, for ALL parties involved. I simply asked you to prove me wrong. I am not a judge , nor the jury. I am a skeptic. If you were sincere about all this. What would it hurt to discuss this over the phone in hopes to clear up the many problems I had with your auction. And in doing so , perhaps help pave the way towards a productive Ebay, and forum experience for all involved.

Ze-