• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Goodie Box From the Folks at the NY Comic Con

18 posts in this topic

So, I was one of the poor fellas who got shut out of the NY Comic Con. I was a little peeved at the time and disappointed that yet again a major NYC show went off it's tracks. Seemed to me that their biggest uphill battle for next year was going to be winning back the customers who were turned away and those that got in, but were so overwhelmed by the crowds that they don't plan on attending again.

I'm now willing to say that the organizers have made good strides at winning back one comic collector. Not only was the money for my day pass rapidly refunded via my credit card (I was concerned originally that I was going to need to pursue this myself), but today I got a box in the mail from the organizers. It contained a letter apologizing for the situation at this year's con, a few posters, some Manga books, a couple of coupons (including one for 50% any back issue purchase at St.Mark's comics... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm little curious if this will work), and a pretty cool Takara Batman action figure. In addition, they will be sending me a complimentary ticket to next years con. 893whatthe.gif

Frankly, I have little interest in the items the box (with the exception of the St.Mark's coupon and the promise of a free ticket), but that's kind of irrelevant. To me, it really is the thought that counts in this case. The fact that they are making this sort of effort goes a long way to convince me that maybe they do know what they are doing. Also, the fact that they are sending out complimentary tickets for next year is very impressive and shows that they are making a real effort to smooth things over. All in all though, it's the apology itself that means the most to me.

Just wanted to post this here and offer my kudos to responsible business. Hopefully the wrinkles can be ironed out for next year and everyone's experience will be positive.

It's nice to see them make the effort. You ever want to get rid of the manga... grin.gif This really, makes me start to have more faith in the conventions that are being held out there. Thanks for the effort.

WOW. That is great to hear. I have had my share of bad experiences at comic conventions (eg. getting charged for autographs that were advertised as free, etc.) and I have never heard of a group going to such lengths to appease their fans.

That is fantastic. I'm happy for you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

In 2004, SFX spent many thousands of dollars to make it up to the fans that came out to see Patrick Stewart... They ended up getting to see 2 other major Trek star AND still got to see Patrick Stewart 3 weeks later... AND they got an in-person autograph, something he had never done before... He wanted to make it up to the fans too... They were quite pleased with the outcome...

In 2004, SFX spent many thousands of dollars to make it up to the fans that came out to see Patrick Stewart... They ended up getting to see 2 other major Trek star AND still got to see Patrick Stewart 3 weeks later... AND they got an in-person autograph, something he had never done before... He wanted to make it up to the fans too... They were quite pleased with the outcome...

Yeah, but how much were you charging for his autograph? Wasn't it like $125 CDN? foreheadslap.gif

That really doesnt have ANYTHING to do with the story... People purchased a special ticket for him and got wayyyyy more that originally promised...

What you are saying is, PATRICK STEWART went out of his way to make his fans happy. At $125 I better be able to shake his hand, have a picture with him, and have him phone 3 of my friends. tongue.gif

What you did doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this thread.

Congratulations go to the organizers of the New York Comic Con.

I agree. This thread should not be derailed by someones private agenda. Kudos to the NYC people. thumbsup2.gif

It's great to see that the NYCC folks have done the right thing. I set up at the show and they have been first-class all the way so it is not a surprise. There is no way that anyone could have seen that tidal wave of fans coming. Can't wait to see some announcements for NYCC 2007. and maybe a floor plan? wink.gif

In addition, they will be sending me a complimentary ticket to next years con. 893whatthe.gif

Are there "official" dates for NYCC 2007 with the stuff that you received? confused-smiley-013.gif

No, all they have said thus far is that I should expect my ticket in the mail in December. The rumor I've heard (and this is from an associate who had lunch with someone who works for Reed Exhibitions on the Sunday of the show) is that next year's show will be in April. I know that originally they were saying Feb 23-25, but with what happened this year they apparently need to reschedule in order to get more space. Just a rumor and not confirmed, but I'm sure we will all find out soon.

good thing you didn't fly in and buy a motel room. I don't think a free ticket and manga's would cover that smile.gif Nice to see you got a ticket at least.

i'm sure there are some fans who got so screwed as to never venture back again.

yet, i find this a remarkably astute business move. thumbsup2.gif

and with the potential fan base in NYC, next year is going to be awesome. 893whatthe.gif

In addition, they will be sending me a complimentary ticket to next years con. 893whatthe.gif

Are there "official" dates for NYCC 2007 with the stuff that you received? confused-smiley-013.gif

No, all they have said thus far is that I should expect my ticket in the mail in December. The rumor I've heard (and this is from an associate who had lunch with someone who works for Reed Exhibitions on the Sunday of the show) is that next year's show will be in April. I know that originally they were saying Feb 23-25, but with what happened this year they apparently need to reschedule in order to get more space. Just a rumor and not confirmed, but I'm sure we will all find out soon.

February 23-25 is official. It will on the first floor in a much bigger space. thumbsup2.gif

did they pay for your doctor's bills to have that frostbitten toe amputated? it was really COLD that day and Javitz being on top of the Hudson River sure doesn't help the wid chill factor.

did they pay for your doctor's bills to have that frostbitten toe amputated? it was really COLD that day and Javitz being on top of the Hudson River sure doesn't help the wid chill factor.

All toes are still attached at last count, thank you. thumbsup2.gif