• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

the Flash has a watercolor bkgnd. Greytines to me are painted in b/w guache, like magazine illustrations often were, and then had colors stripped over the greys. Like a hand tinted b'w photograph.

Hmmm. . .

Wasn't aware of a watercolor motif, but the Flash 117 background could serve nicely as a benchmark in helping us categorize a number of "fuzzy" candidates.

So maybe 4 categories?

Greytone/Washtone

Partial Greytone/Washtone

Washtone/Greytone Effect

Watercolor

the Flash has a watercolor bkgnd. Greytines to me are painted in b/w guache, like magazine illustrations often were, and then had colors stripped over the greys. Like a hand tinted b'w photograph.

I wouldn't be quite that restrictive. Some of the greytones were gouache, but a considerable number were drawn on specialty art board like craftint.

Hmmm...I think you're right about the watercolor. And I think that many of the "partials" may be just that, covers that have watercolors used (for example, on the cheeks of people, clouds, etc.).

I looked up "guache" because I didn't know what that meant, and it means an Italian watercolor. (shrug)

But in looking at the clear-cut washtones one thing that sticks out is there aren't any clearly defined black lines, as if all the figures were drawn with chalk or painted in.

Hmmm...I think you're right about the watercolor. And I think that many of the "partials" may be just that, covers that have watercolors used (for example, on the cheeks of people, clouds, etc.).

I looked up "guache" because I didn't know what that meant, and it means an Italian watercolor. (shrug)

But in looking at the clear-cut washtones one thing that sticks out is there aren't any clearly defined black lines, as if all the figures were drawn with chalk or painted in.

The background "greytone effect" on this book is totally due to the work of the colorist rather than the cover artist. That's also the case on the WW 101, though there might have been some holding lines (usually drawn in red ink which doesn't reproduce). The books that are the "classic" greytones will be based on cover art drawn on craftint, painted with gouache or painted with diluted ink which then have the complex color wash done by Jack Adler.

Flash117.jpg

From wiki:

Gouache, Pronounced "Gwash" (rhymes with "squash") (from the Italian guazzo, "water paint, splash") or bodycolor (the term preferred by art historians) is a type of paint consisting of pigment suspended in water. Gouache differs from watercolor in that the particles are larger, the ratio of pigment to water is much higher, and an additional, inert, white pigment such as chalk is also present. Like all watermedia, it is diluted with water.[1] (Gum Arabic is also present as a binding agent just like in water color.) This makes gouache heavier and more opaque, with greater reflective qualities

OK, let me see. Can't think of any A's before Rex having washtones/greytones. There are a number of 12¢ ones that I don't own (and haven't really kept track of) and probably a few 10¢ ones that I'm just unaware of. But here's a start:

Adventures of Rex the Wonderdog 31, 38, 39, 42

All American Men of War 35, 81, 100, 110, 111

All Star Western 96, 102, 103, 109

Big Town 46

Brave and the Bold 18, 21, 22, 23, 44

Detective 239

GI Combat 44, 51, 69, 75-104, (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 109, 113, 119

Green Lantern 8

House of Mystery 92, 93

My Greatest Adventure 17

Mystery in Space 36, 40, 45, 46, 55

Our Army at War 49, 57, 60, 124, 126

Our Fighting Forces 20, 71

Sea Devils 1-???

Secret Hearts 59

Showcase 3, 25, 27, 28, 29

Star Spangled War Stories 45, 122,130

Strange Adventures 80, 110, 143, 151

Tales of the Unexpected 15, 17, 43

Tomahawk 65

Western Comics 64, 69, 71, 81, 82

That's what I can recall off the top of my head right now.

Anybody wanna add some stuff to that? I think there are quite a few that are partial or semi-washtones, but I stuck to what I would consider "unquestionable" ones as John put it.

Somebody else wanna fill in the ones I missed?

We can add Challengers Of The Unknown 11 and the only Marvel issue I know of, Strange Tales 116. Strange Adventures 93 (partial greytone?).

Ken

Challengers 11 for sure should be on the list.

As far as the Sea Devils go, Adler is listed as the inker on 1-16, so I suppose all of them are washtones, right?

Challengers 11 for sure should be on the list.

As far as the Sea Devils go, Adler is listed as the inker on 1-16, so I suppose all of them are washtones, right?

The art on almost all of those was 100% Russ Heath. Adler was the colorist -- admittedly doing much more sophisticated color work than typical, but that doesn't make him the "inker," regardless of the notations in GCD. I do think those fall into the category of definite greytones.

Edited by adamstrange

OK, here's the updated list of "unquestionables."

Adventures of Rex the Wonderdog 31, 38, 39, 42

All American Men of War 35, 81, 100, 110, 111

All Star Western 96, 102, 103, 109

Big Town 46

Brave and the Bold 18, 21, 22, 23, 44

Challengers of the Unknown 11

Detective 239

GI Combat 44, 51, 69, 75-104, (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 109, 113, 119

Green Lantern 8

House of Mystery 92, 93

My Greatest Adventure 17

Mystery in Space 36, 40, 45, 46, 55

Our Army at War 49, 57, 60, 124, 126

Our Fighting Forces 20, 71

Sea Devils 1-16 (which other Sea Devils are greytones--I know there're more)

Secret Hearts 59

Showcase 3, 25, 27, 28, 29

Star Spangled War Stories 45, 122,130

Strange Adventures 80, 110, 143, 151

Tales of the Unexpected 15, 17, 43

Tomahawk 65

Western Comics 64, 69, 71, 81, 82

That's a sweet set of SA/BA greytones, RMA!

Though the Strange Adv 1 is a photo cover and probably shouldn't count.

I searched on Jack Adler, and would suggest the following changes:

Add Hopalong Cassidy 124

Western 81 looks like it may be a partial

Strange Adventures 150 is one, but 151 is not

Sea Devils 23 is listed as Adler, in addition to the issues already mentioned by RMA

Sea Devils 27 looks like one, but 28 isn't

Add Our Fighting Forces 94

GICombat 113 doesn't look like one.