• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

SA #1 is a retouched photo of a production still from the film DESTINATION MOON. I would say it has wash-tone effects, and should be included on anyone's DC washtone list.

Bill

I agree. :)

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Sea Devils 23 is listed as Adler, in addition to the issues already mentioned by RMA

Sea Devils 27 looks like one, but 28 isn't

Well....I looked at all 35 issues of the run, and I'll post the questionable covers here, and see what we can find consensus on:

SD #23:

14371531_1_L.jpg

Partial...? Dane Dalton's hair, bottom right..? It's hard to tell for me.

SD #27:

seadevils27s.jpg

This doesn't look greytone to me (sorry for the small pic, it was the biggest I could find.)

SD #28:

escan0011.jpg

OK, here's yet another updated list of "unquestionables."

Adventures of Rex the Wonderdog 31, 38, 39, 42

All American Men of War 35, 81, 100, 110, 111

All Star Western 96, 102, 103, 109

Big Town 46

Brave and the Bold 18, 21, 22, 23, 44

Captain Storm 8

Challengers of the Unknown 11

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 3

Detective 239

GI Combat 44, 51, 69, 75-104, (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 109, 113, 119

Green Lantern 8

Hopalong Cassidy 124

House of Mystery 92, 93

House of Secrets 112

My Greatest Adventure 17

Mystery in Space 36, 40, 45, 46, 55

Our Army at War 49, 57, 60, 124, 126

Our Fighting Forces 20, 71, 94

Sea Devils 1-16 22, 24, 28-35

Secret Hearts 59

Showcase 3, 25, 27, 28, 29, 80

Star Spangled War Stories 45, 122,130

Strange Adventures 1, 80, 93, 110, 143, 150

Tales of the Unexpected 15, 17, 43

Tomahawk 65

Western Comics 64, 69, 71, 81, 82

I'm including partials on this list. I define partial as "greytone/washtone in a significant enough segment of the cover to catch your eye during a quick perusal." Not to be confused with "watercolor" (i.e. Flash 117) or "greytone effect" (i.e. WW 108)

More additions anybody?

Edited by Comick1

GIC 113 is definitely a washtone.

hm I tried to find a close up of it but couldn't. From the image on this listing it looks iffy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-COMBAT-DC-113-Good-Comics-Book_W0QQitemZ310110950810QQihZ021QQcategoryZ74QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I own a copy, I don't have a scan handy but I can assure you it's a washtone.

I think that the HOM 70, HOS 1 and 6, and MGA 18 all have some components that maintain a greytone effect. And some might even fit under the "partial" realm, but that just forces me to reassess my earlier definition of "partial." I think, to accommodate those 4 that Bill posted, I need to change what I said. So here goes:

I'm including ASW 109 and Secret Hearts 59 on the larger greytone/washtone list. If anybody disagrees, I'll wrassle them unti. . .

ahem, er. . .

I would like to recommend that we define greytone/washtone as follows:

"a comic with greytone/washtone elements that comprise a significant enough segment of the cover to catch your eye during a quick perusal." Not to be confused with "watercolor" (i.e. Flash 117) or "greytone effect" (i.e. WW 108), or partial greytone/partial washtone (i.e. HOM 70).

I don't want to rain on anybody's, least of all my buddy Bill's greytone parade; but this definition- honing and reassessment process is actually leading up to the opportunity for us to vote in the survey I was suggesting. But I don't mind being shot down on either the definitions or the survey model. I don't want to make this "Mick's Rules for Greytones" so I welcome your critiques, disagreements, or modifications.

It's my personal view that HOM 70 deserves a nod as having greytone elements, but those elements don't jump out at you the way they do on the Secret Hearts 59 or ASW 109 and I'd willingly submit the three of them among others to the survey I was recommending. So I hesitate to put HOM 70, HOS 1 and 6, and MGA 18 on the "unquestionable" greytone list, but would certainly recommend placement of them on the "survey" list along with WW 101, 108, and Flash 117.

I could also be persuaded to remove the Secret Hearts and ASW 109 from the "unquestionable" list for placement on the "survey" list.

Thoughts?

I could also be persuaded to remove the Secret Hearts and ASW 109 from the "unquestionable" list for placement on the "survey" list.

Thoughts?

Mick, I think survey is a great idea.

I'm still picking through my runs to find more partials. Certainly, it would be a long list, particularly if we start including books from the Bronze Age.

Shep

Quasi-washtones?

HOS #6 (Scientists & the test tubes)

hos_06.jpg

This one is intriguing. It looks like every portion of line-drawn art has some bit of washtone in it, as do parts of the background (?). Hard not to call that a washtone.

I think that the HOM 70, HOS 1 and 6, and MGA 18 all have some components that maintain a greytone effect. And some might even fit under the "partial" realm, but that just forces me to reassess my earlier definition of "partial." I think, to accommodate those 4 that Bill posted, I need to change what I said. So here goes:

I'm including ASW 109 and Secret Hearts 59 on the larger greytone/washtone list. If anybody disagrees, I'll wrassle them unti. . .

ahem, er. . .

I would like to recommend that we define greytone/washtone as follows:

"a comic with greytone/washtone elements that comprise a significant enough segment of the cover to catch your eye during a quick perusal." Not to be confused with "watercolor" (i.e. Flash 117) or "greytone effect" (i.e. WW 108), or partial greytone/partial washtone (i.e. HOM 70).

I don't want to rain on anybody's, least of all my buddy Bill's greytone parade; but this definition- honing and reassessment process is actually leading up to the opportunity for us to vote in the survey I was suggesting. But I don't mind being shot down on either the definitions or the survey model. I don't want to make this "Mick's Rules for Greytones" so I welcome your critiques, disagreements, or modifications.

It's my personal view that HOM 70 deserves a nod as having greytone elements, but those elements don't jump out at you the way they do on the Secret Hearts 59 or ASW 109 and I'd willingly submit the three of them among others to the survey I was recommending. So I hesitate to put HOM 70, HOS 1 and 6, and MGA 18 on the "unquestionable" greytone list, but would certainly recommend placement of them on the "survey" list along with WW 101, 108, and Flash 117.

Thoughts?

No worries about my graytone parade! I guess the question comes down to how you classify a graytone -- is it defined by the pastel/wash effect of the cover, or is it defined by the actual process the artist used to achieve the effect.

I would say that its how the cover is precieved by the beholder. A glance at the cover should answer the question. I would futher go on to say that a comic cover is either a wash-tone or not a washtone -- kind of like a woman being a little bit pregnant -- it either is or isnt!

thanks,

Bill