• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree or higher grade?

Which book would you buy?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Which book would you buy?

33 posts in this topic

I'm always surprised to see the same book, same grade sell for more when it is a pedigree. I don't care who owned the book before me. I care about the book itself not the history of its past ownership. I am collecting the book, not its provenance. I like Spider-Man, not Edgar Church.

The answer depends on collector's preference which needs to be weighed in....

Some folks prefer pedigree regardless of grade...some folks want the highest grade within their budget...and some folks scrutinize PQ and QP as weigh in factors.

So, go with what you like!

I'm always surprised to see the same book, same grade sell for more when it is a pedigree. I don't care who owned the book before me. I care about the book itself not the history of its past ownership. I am collecting the book, not its provenance. I like Spider-Man, not Edgar Church.

I completely agree. I don't understand the pedigree concept., it just seems strange..Don't all the books come from their respective publishers anyway? I can see if say, Elvis owned them or someone else famous, but how does buying a bunch of books over the years, keeping them pristine and selling them years later warrant higher prices than any other nice copy without a "story" behind it? I don't mean to put down those who collect them for the so called pedigree, I just don't understand that concept well. Zips up flamesuit, runs for cover.

Crowley's actually have a little bit of a stigma attached to them due to lower page quality and the huge stamps often on the FC (usually in the worst possible spot).

I don't know anyone who thinks that Crowley's demand any sort of a premium over a similarly graded copy, and may actually be worth LESS.

Crowley's actually have a little bit of a stigma attached to them due to lower page quality and the huge stamps often on the FC (usually in the worst possible spot).

I don't know anyone who thinks that Crowley's demand any sort of a premium over a similarly graded copy, and may actually be worth LESS.

Maybe this particular scenario was a bad example, but the notion is worth bearing out.

Plus a GA book example will differ from SA, & BA scenario with the likely hood of census numbners expanding over the coming years.

So with GA I would say it's not such a crucial thing, barring of course MH's to that statement.

But for SA and above, peds distinguish books from the crowd no question, with the proviso they are of resonably HG themselves.

But the biggest fly in the ointment are Stan's file copies. Ratty books with mind blowing GPA's... could be indicative of greater things to come (shrug)

Pedigree (thumbs u will have more long-term appeal, since grading differences between 9.0 / 9.2 are minimal.

Another consideration is the CGC census ranking. The 9.2 may be the highest graded copy which deserves additional value. Otherwise, if there is already a 9.4 or higher, get the 9.0 Crowley!

GE

Interesting thread. I'm actually involved in a trade with another registry member right now. We are trading the same issue. Mine is a nonped 9.4 and his is a White Mountain 9.2. I may have downgraded but I am very happy with the trade.