• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NSH GA RESULTS - 5 to 1

142 posts in this topic

I'll have the roast Duck.

Gees. I guess I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

Nah. No need for that. We're just here for fun.

I hope that I didn't come on too strong with my unabashed admiration for Walt Kelly.

Jack

1. An argument with Banner and others over the transitional appeal of GA comics to Copper Age kids who are now 30 something collectors.

Right, I remember that "discussion", which was not an "argument". 27_laughing.gif However, since then, we've seen example after example right here on the boards of 30-something collectors buying their 1st GA books and graduating to GA. So at this point, there's really nothing left to discuss concerning whether or not kids that grew up reading bronze and copper age comics would grow to appreciate and collect GA! devil.gif

1. An argument with Banner and others over the transitional appeal of GA comics to Copper Age kids who are now 30 something collectors.

Right, I remember that "discussion", which was not an "argument". 27_laughing.gif However, since then, we've seen example after example right here on the boards of 30-something collectors buying their 1st GA books and graduating to GA. So at this point, there's really nothing left to discuss concerning whether or not kids that grew up reading bronze and copper age comics would grow to appreciate and collect GA! devil.gif

headbang.gif

Actually, the caveman will probably be swinging at air as the blond guy is about to follow the other caveman over the cliff's edge, having clearly lost his balance.

I always thought the blonde guys arm looked like it was originally drawn to be a caveman's, and yes the wrist is oddly extended, but I still put WSF #29 in my top 10, as it is much more dynamic than the other "classic" Frazetta covers.

Exactly, he would be swinging at air... I didn't even get to that. But the point is he's standing way too close to Buck to be swinging at him, off-balance or not. It's awkward. gossip.gif

whaddaya expect? he's a friggin caveman!!

Exactly......... wink.gif

I hope that I didn't come on too strong with my unabashed admiration for Walt Kelly.

Jack

Not to me. I prefer spirited debate, as long it doesn't get personal.

I would have been surprised if a Kelly cover made it into the top 10 for this poll, and if one had I would have thought in an anomoly from the collecting community as a whole.

As far as I can tell, the majority of comic collectors are super-hero oriented, and the proportion of collectors valuing funny animals in the English-speaking world has been in decline since the early 1970s. Nor have I seen any big resurgance in the early non-Duck Dell's that would indicate a shift in popularity. Since this was a "favorite cover" contest, the above factors would have led me to expect the Kellys to be the favorites of only a minority and thus not make it to the top of the final list.

Personally, I'm very fond of Kelly's comic book work, as well as his syndicated Pogo strip. The Uncle Wiggly cover isn't that interesting to me, but I do love the Fairy Tale Parade. One of the nice things about real life, as opposed to the poll, is that I can seek out books that are in my top 10 list and many, many others that aren't. cloud9.gif

Here is another of my "dark horse" nominees that unfortunately didn't get any votes. It's sort of the red-headed stepchild of Frazetta covers but I thought it deserved a nomination simply on it's outstanding foreshortening technique, something that many GA artists, even the top names, had difficulty with. Just another example of how far ahead of many of his peers Frazetta was.

StraightArrow3.jpg

Nice looking book, but in my opinion not one of Frazetta`s better renditions of a bear. It looks like he was trying to experiment with Chinese brush painting techniques to depict fur, but all he ended up with was a bear with a severe case of static electricity.

I guess it's just one of those 'eye of the beholder' things. What you see as "a bear with a severe case of static electricity," I see as <artsy speak>the rich texture of the bear's bristling fur</artsy speak>. cloud9.gif

Good call BTW on the Chinese brush painting. It does have that look, especially on the bear's shoulder area.

Jack

Not to me. I prefer spirited debate, as long it doesn't get personal.

I would have been surprised if a Kelly cover made it into the top 10 for this poll, and if one had I would have thought in an anomoly from the collecting community as a whole.

As far as I can tell, the majority of comic collectors are super-hero oriented, and the proportion of collectors valuing funny animals in the English-speaking world has been in decline since the early 1970s. Nor have I seen any big resurgance in the early non-Duck Dell's that would indicate a shift in popularity. Since this was a "favorite cover" contest, the above factors would have led me to expect the Kellys to be the favorites of only a minority and thus not make it to the top of the final list.

Personally, I'm very fond of Kelly's comic book work, as well as his syndicated Pogo strip. The Uncle Wiggly cover isn't that interesting to me, but I do love the Fairy Tale Parade. One of the nice things about real life, as opposed to the poll, is that I can seek out books that are in my top 10 list and many, many others that aren't. cloud9.gif

I probably owned about 50 Walt Kelly books, when I had about 400+ FC Comics. His covers, would always stand out, but when it come time to sell, I would say, that I lost money, due to lack of interest. I started to collect superhero, and more popular non superhero instead. I took this experience into consideration, when I named my top 10 covers.

shy.gif

I like the brush effect on the bear, though I can see how "static electricity" could come to mind. The perspective is a little odd, in that while the Bear at first glance seems to loom over Straight Arrow, if SA's legs were straightened he'd be as tall as the bear. It looks as if he is standing a foot lower than the animal.

My favorite Frazetta western cover is Ghost Rider #3 - wish I had a copy.

Mike forgive me you are correct, it was a discussion tongue.gif I still contend that all things being equal that a majority of Copper kids would still rather have a HG BA/SA book than a mid-grade GA book where the price point is the same.

I also attend 3-4 shows a year and chit chat with a lot of collector who are in the late 20s to mid- 30s bracket. While I'm not contending that they don't appreciate, occasionally buy and like GA. There is generally very little conversation about it. Though I also admit that empirical evidence is lacking on both sides of the fence, my gut tells me that the farther away from your youth you go (in both directions), fewer collectors will be swayed to purchase in those eras.

Having stated all that and because I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion that has taken place elsewhere. Just want to that the guys for setting up the GA voting. As is the case with all of these cover polls, I saw a few covers I had never seen before and think are very cool, as well I regained an appreciation for the covers and artists in the GA I already like.

Well Done thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I still contend that all things being equal that a majority of Copper kids would still rather have a HG BA/SA book than a mid-grade GA book where the price point is the same.

I also attend 3-4 shows a year and chit chat with a lot of collector who are in the late 20s to mid- 30s bracket. While I'm not contending that they don't appreciate, occasionally buy and like GA. There is generally very little conversation about it.

Ha!grin.gif what am I, chopped Liver? poke2.gifstooges.gif

GA will always have limited appeal to fandom in general, and while nostalgia for ones own youth plays a roll in this, the main reasons are price and content. Low grade copies of books featuring any generally recognizable character often run at least $100, with even reasonably high grade copies of non-keys fetching four figures in many runs, making it very difficult for "completist" mentality collectors to afford them. Combine this with the largely third rate storytelling in most GA books ( especially the 1938-45 era) and the interest in buying and by extension discussing Golden Age books is severely curtailed.

The Photo-journals and availability of scans on the internet have given GA collecting more of a base than it would otherwise have, and also pushes the cover-centric attitude that increasingly dominates the market. While Overstreet breaks out many covers already, auction results clearly show that within a given run cover content affects price practically from issue to issue.

Low grade copies of books featuring any generally recognizable character often run at least $100, with even reasonably high grade copies of non-keys fetching four figures in many runs, making it very difficult for "completist" mentality collectors to afford them.

True. But there are smaller runs and neat type sets (Joker covers, Red Skull covers, Solomon Grundy appearances, Frazetta covers, L.B. Cole covers, etc) that can be put together for a lot less.

The Photo-journals and availability of scans on the internet have given GA collecting more of a base than it would otherwise have, and also pushes the cover-centric attitude that increasingly dominates the market. While Overstreet breaks out many covers already, auction results clearly show that within a given run cover content affects price practically from issue to issue.

Agreed. Covers on GA comics are more important than content for the most part (except for 1st appearances).

Here's my list:

1 - ShockSuspense #6

2 - Mask #1

3 - CrimeSuspense #22

4 - Crime Suspense #20

5 - Suspense #3

6 - CrimeSuspense #23

7 - Spirit #22

8 - Mask #2

9 - Startling #49

10 - Weird SciFantasy #29

I still contend that all things being equal that a majority of Copper kids would still rather have a HG BA/SA book than a mid-grade GA book where the price point is the same.

I also attend 3-4 shows a year and chit chat with a lot of collector who are in the late 20s to mid- 30s bracket. While I'm not contending that they don't appreciate, occasionally buy and like GA. There is generally very little conversation about it.

Ha!grin.gif what am I, chopped Liver? poke2.gifstooges.gif

I wouldn't Dull my blade chopping you up. poke2.gif And our discussions are usually about Original Art and Spirit books. The former isn't GA related and the later is one of the few exceptions of good story telling in the GA. tongue.gif

Here are my choices:

Weird Science-Fantasy 29

Fairy Tale Parade 7

All Top 8

Little Lulu 16

Spirit 22

Archie 50

Four Color 386

Famous Funnies 213

Four Color 69

Action 2

As you can see, there's a reason I finished so low in the fanboy rankings 27_laughing.gif