• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 Hulk Annual #1

303 posts in this topic

You can add Keyword Spamming to Matt's list of sleazy business practices:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZspectre52

Isn't that not permitted on ebay to list CGC in the title when the books are not CGC'd?

Correct. If someone reports them to Ebay they will get pulled.

One report, coming up!! thumbsup2.gif

So do you all report every auction like this or just the listing by Matt?

I used to report every one I noticed. Now I don't report any of them. I gave up.

But isn't the origina of the WP collection still shrouded in the primordial mists? I think you need a collection that has had it's boundaries defined better. Just thinking outloud here.

Shrouded compared to what? From Linmoth, we know the WP collection contains almost every book from at least the late 1950s and on, maybe earlier, and they were stored in a basement somewhere in western Pennsylvania in immaculate shape. From my own research, I believe the collection was discovered by a guy named Friedlander, although I've never been sure if his first name was Michael or Brian.

Is this really that much less than what we know about any of the other major SA pedigrees (WM, Mass, Northland, PC, etc.)?

Anyways, not to derail this discussion, as my suggestion on Western Penn was just because that's the pedigree I can contribute the most scans and there might be a reliable source for scans of all the BA copies that have been sold over the last 5-6 years (if they kept copies of the scans). I would be happy with ANYONE adopting ANY pedigree for this project.

Sitting in my office looking out at the harbour and it's not even raining or windy yet (although overcast). Still over 500 KM south of us. Don't think it's projected to have any real impact on us until tomorrow or Thursday.

Typhoons aren't a big deal in HK anymore, even on those rare occasions when they hit us head on, because everything is built of concrete now. I've always wondered why everyone in Florida and along the Gulf Coast continues to build flimsy wooden houses. Anyways, these days, everyone in HK just looks forward to typhoons as a day off and some people actually go down to the beach or the harbour front to watch the big waves. screwy.gif

From my own research, I believe the collection was discovered by a guy named Friedlander, although I've never been sure if his first name was Michael or Brian.

zoolander.jpg

Sorry.....wrong guy. sorry.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Blue Steel , Great stuff

It's official..ish, it's going back as a Northland ped....

http://www.vintagecollectables.net/comic...ew=1&page=2

Then my bait and switch theory, purposely hiding the label upon resubmit to better the chances of a higher grade and go back later to reveal the true nature of the comic, looks to hold some validity.

Great system to boost the grades of Pedigrees...if not unethical...

Jim

It's official..ish, it's going back as a Northland ped....

http://www.vintagecollectables.net/comic...ew=1&page=2

Then my bait and switch theory, purposely hiding the label upon resubmit to better the chances of a higher grade and go back later to reveal the true nature of the comic, looks to hold some validity.

Great system to boost the grades of Pedigrees...if not unethical...

Jim

When was the last time 'ethics' and any BSD appeared in the same sentence? yeahok.gif

I'm still curious to know if Bill Hughes had any idea of what the backstory on the book was. That's a pretty hefty investment to try to make a few sheckles from. And now that at least part of the collecting community knows the book was a former 9.6.....I wonder how hard it will be to move.

I'm still not convinced there was any pretermined plan to re-pedigree-ize it later. If it hadn't been pointed out on the boards, it might never have regained it's pedigree status.

If there was indeed a plan to temporarily launder it's pedigree for the regrade....then it says something about Nelson's faith in CGC's blind grading system.

Red

That's a pretty hefty investment to try to make a few sheckles from.

I doubt if he even cares. I checked out his website following the link. It`s a museum (actually, it really IS a Conan museum)! Those books are definitely not priced to move.

I checked out his website following the link. It`s a museum (actually, it really IS a Conan museum)! Those books are definitely not priced to move.

Bill sells things ok, but admittedly the margin on CGC books for dealer's is always going to be marginal, and he's no exception. All the show dealer's seem to be in agreement on it, with so many avenues for people to sell their material, there's no room for them to undercut on purchase prices.

Speaking with a few dealer's though, it's good times ahead for them as the market moves to a new GA focus. The material is there, the margin's are there, and all grades are go.

Unlike SA, and BA which only makes money for those still sitting on high grade raw books..and who can say their sitting in that position??