• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 Hulk Annual #1

303 posts in this topic

Chris,

When this thread first started, I emailed Matt and asked "what the heck happened here?" He responded that he submits so many books, there's bound to be an occasional mistake.

Fine. He forgot to fill in the paperwork correctly. It's possible.

So, when he got it back, why didn't it go straight back to CGC rather than straight onto eBay with his 'mistake' being mentioned in the auction text?

Where's the little graemlin for banging your head against a brick wall? confused-smiley-013.gif

Guys, these books aren't even the same!! Take a look:

8943af61.jpg

ff68fb14.jpg

See? Not the same!

I just wish you conspiracy guys would take the time to be a little more thorough before making such accusations. In the future, please obtain some PROOF before casting such aspersions. Seriously. poke2.gif

See? Not the same!

I just wish you conspiracy guys would take the time to be a little more thorough before making such accusations. In the future, please obtain some PROOF before casting such aspersions. Seriously. poke2.gif

In case you missed it the submittor posted: "Yes, it is the Northland copy."

Translation...they are the same book.

8943af61.jpg

ff68fb14.jpg

Ze-

See? Not the same!

That is called "pressing" I think. There is a thread or two about it somewhere here on this forum.

Anybody?

Ze-

It's pretty clear this book was cracked, pressed, and resubmitted without the label. If it were still in the slab, the pedigree would have remained on the next slab. Without it, it disappears...and why break it out? Duh.

And just to feed more wild speculation, what's to prevent big money-high volume sellers from getting pedigrees ADDED to a book's label? If the almighty buck is the key for these dealers (and potentially for CGC), isn't that the next logical step? Getting a beautifully pressed 9.4 book and slapping on the Northland pedigree distinction, especially if the seller knows the original "Northland copy" has been erased from pedigree status? Just switch 'em up! Make some more money! poke2.gif

(I hope the preceding satire hasn't given anyone evil ideas!)

Dan

Thus my often-voiced call for more info on existing pedigrees, including inventory lists when available. Collections like the Western Penn are still relatively shrouded in mist and vulnerable to "expansion".

Red

Someone should start a photo log on all of the pedigreed books. If they start it now with some help they could complete what is CGC'd in a resonable amount of time.

I would start with what is on Heritage immediately.

Anyone want that task?

Someone should start a photo log on all of the pedigreed books. If they start it now with some help they could complete what is CGC'd in a resonable amount of time.

I would start with what is on Heritage immediately.

Anyone want that task?

Already Doing it.

Have about half a DVD filled with Pictures from any source that I can find. Including raw copies & slabbed copies. 2000 pics and counting.

I am finding rather quickly that this only accounts for a drop in the ocean.

Regards,

Russ...

27_laughing.gif I actually started this thread to discuss the collective "F.U." that the dealer community seemed to be giving to the anti-pressing faction, not whether the book has been pressed or not.

After looking at who was pumping up the price of this book, certainly makes you wonder is something was not underfoot.

Just look at the latest submissions posted in Scoop today from dealers asserting their opinions on pressing to see the FU mentality. Lauterbachs was so classic I started a separate thread on it.

I wish we could get some other collectors to start putting together databases on some of the other pedigrees, with scans and such. I used the old hunt and peck method putting mine together and it would be much more difficult now. I discovered a number of resubs along the way, and having scans up is a deterrent to monkey business imho.

I sense the access door is closing to some valuable scholarly info out there.

In fact, Steve Filosa created fantastic databases of the major pedigrees for the major SA Marvel titles. The threads were all in the SA forum, I believe. If the links are down now, I'm sure you could get them from him directly. I believe he got most of the data by doing the old hunt and peck method too.

You think that you're adding to the discussion, but as in the past...you're merely getting in the way.

No offence, but it's difficult enough exposing these scams....without having to PROVE everything to your satisfaction.

Let the accused step up & clear the air. flowerred.gif

Beyonder, you've said a lot of monumentally stupid things in the past, but now you've said something both stupid and dangerous. I'm glad you want to live in a world where all someone has to do is throw a bunch of accusations out there, without the need for any supporting evidence, and it's up to the accused to refute a bunch of unsubstantiated allegations. It's great when you're on the side of the lynch mob, not so great when you're not.

And anyone who asks to see the proof is told that he's "getting in the way"? foreheadslap.gif

I think the book may have brought more if it had the pedigree on the label, so I'm kind of bummed about that.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Not enough of a profit margin for you?