• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 Hulk Annual #1

303 posts in this topic

It's curious the pages were knocked down from OW-W to OW upon resubmit...could it be pressing that degraded the pages?

Jim

THAT I`m willing to attribute to CGC`s inconsistency with PQ.

It's curious the pages were knocked down from OW-W to OW upon resubmit...could it be pressing that degraded the pages?

Seems unlikely, since the only pressing a squarebound could tolerate would be spot pressing

to individual pages, and most likely only the covers would be worth bothering with.

Anyway, I thought OW/W did NOT signify a whiteness level between OW and W, but

rather pages in which the whiteness varies from W to OW, center outward? I seem

to remember this appearing in CBM a few years ago in the "Ask CGC" column. Hard to

figure out how a change like this could occur in the actual page quality, likely they are

just "eyeballing it" with little consistency.

It's becoming more than clear that illusions of really reliable accuracy and consistency

in grading processes are merely an illusion we OCD types hang onto tightly to sleep better

at night. frown.gif

I hope CGC removes the old 9.6 Northland listing in the census too as it is still there despite the resub. Of course once it gets it's .0 grade after being removed, you'll not be able to access that info again. So here it is......CGC #0039317008

northlandhulkannual.jpg

How can they remove it? Prestoman never sent in the original label because he was trying to hide the fact that it was a resub.

Didn't he mention that he was going to get CGC to add the pedigree notation back on the new label? I wanted to make sure CGC then went back and deleted the 9.6 version, otherwise you've just created another pedigree book out of thin air.

A neat trick if you can do it.

Didn't he mention that he was going to get CGC to add the pedigree notation back on the new label?.

Well yeah, he is now. Because he got caught.

This is an interesting example.

Is the new way of getting higher Pedigree grades to now press, or some other way to impove a comic not considered resto, and submit blind to only go back later and reveal the true nature of the comic?

Sounds to me like a rather profitable endeavor considering you sell to another collector hip on the notation...

Jim

Don't forget the Superman Annual that also lost it's pedigree designation on it's way to an upgrade.

I haven't forgotten...this looks like the new game being played...

A major Pedigree guy like Nelson just submits and sells a comic without the notation and claims a mistake, despite the comic selling for well over estimates, brought the sirens out for me...

Jim

Someone finally emailed me about the Hulk. Yes, it is the Northland copy.

Thanks for the confirm, Matt.

Aside for the debate and the flip-game there's something I've never understood...

Experts. Okay? Experts. Grading services, auction houses, restoration services, etc. all have experts on staff and offer expert assessment services. And yet it's usually messageboard participants that discover those "honest mistakes". Over, and over, and over. Year after year, after year. It's crazy. Christo_pull_hair.gif

You would think an expert would notice a Pedigree notation was missing when the slab was unpacked.

Or notice it while typing up the auction text to describe the Pedigreed comic they're offering.

Or maybe notice it while making huge slab scans of what they know is a Pedigree comic.

Or notice it over the seven day period while the auction is running. Notice it with the same eyes that can spot a thumb dent from 100 yards.

(sigh) ???confused.gif??

27_laughing.gif

seriously. that sure is a mystery

Don't forget the Superman Annual that also lost it's pedigree designation on it's way to an upgrade.

I haven't forgotten...this looks like the new game being played...

A major Pedigree guy like Nelson just submits and sells a comic without the notation and claims a mistake, despite the comic selling for well over estimates, brought the sirens out for me...

Jim

I wish we could get some other collectors to start putting together databases on some of the other pedigrees, with scans and such. I used the old hunt and peck method putting mine together and it would be much more difficult now. I discovered a number of resubs along the way, and having scans up is a deterrent to monkey business imho.

I sense the access door is closing to some valuable scholarly info out there.

Oh, and for the record I never harassed anyone because I found out they owned a Green River via this method.

Oh, and for the record I never harassed anyone because I found out they owned a Green River via this method.

Well I'm sure CGC has received 100's of calls complaining about the glitch in their system... and by 100's, I mean 1 or 2.

awe4one:Is the new way of getting higher Pedigree grades to now press, or some other way to impove a comic not considered resto, and submit blind to only go back later and reveal the true nature of the comic?

Sounds to me like a rather profitable endeavor considering you sell to another collector hip on the notation...

Jim

Red Hook: Don't forget the Superman Annual that also lost it's pedigree designation on it's way to an upgrade.

awe4one: I haven't forgotten...this looks like the new game being played...

Jim

Wow, you guys just went from major supposition to "the new game being played" in only 3 posts. That's gotta be a new record! thumbsup2.gif

Wow, you guys just went from major supposition to "the new game being played" in only 3 posts. That's gotta be a new record! thumbsup2.gif

What's your explanation of the numerous examples we've seen of Pedigrees losing their notations?

Jim

People get paid tons of dough to forecast trends. We're providing the service for free! poke2.gif
And some people do other services/damage control for free. tongue.gif

People get paid tons of dough to forecast trends. We're providing the service for free! poke2.gif
And some people do other services/damage control for free. tongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What's your explanation of the numerous examples we've seen of Pedigrees losing their notations?

Jim

I wasn't referring to pedigrees losing notations. I was referring to this new idea you presented that certain people are failing to mention a pedigree designation on a resub, then going back at a later date and saying "oops, I boo-booed, can you put the pedigree notation back on the label?'"

I'm not saying it's never happened. But, there's a tendency on the boards to move a subject from wild speculation to accepted fact with amazing speed and zero facts.

Unfortunately, in many cases over the last couple of years, wild speculation has moved slowly but intractably into the realm of fact.