• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Action #1 Sale

357 posts in this topic

And to whom will Mark be accountable? That's my entire point. makepoint.gif

I don't think Mark has to be accountable to anyone. confused-smiley-013.gif I guess that's where you and I fundamentally differ on this.

Go back and read my posts without the hyper-defensive glasses. Mark is always harping on the "network of disclosure" and "ethics of revealing pressing", but has no problem fleecing some sap for $200 large? If I were photoshop savvy I'd send him a "network of fleecing" logo for his website.

I'm not being hyper-defensive, I'm just surprised by your viewpoint and vehemence as I always considered you one of the more grounded members of these boards. Unless you're saying something between the lines that I'm not picking up on, I just don't understand the judgments on morality that you seem to be making, particularly calling it fleecing, which connotes something misleading or fraudulent. Prior to your posts, I never knew that a seller selling on an arms-length basis to a consenting adult had any moral or ethical obligation to watch out for the interests of the buyer in determining the appropriate price.

Again, why is not every person who sold an overpriced internet stock in March 2000 similarly morally culpable, given that the price of most of those stocks are now maybe 10% (at the most) of their March 2000 level?

And you can't comment on America anymore from over there sumo.gifpoke2.gif

In fact, your comics need to be back stateside - send them to me for holding.

In fact, some of them may be headed stateside sometime this year (unless they end up in Europe). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

newsflash folks. I was reading in the newest Wizard (black Spidey Movie costume issue) an article about little known facts about the Superman movie. One of them stated that Bryan Singer seriously contemplated buying an Action 1 for $600K when he got the gig as director.

Thats interesting because there are very few copies he could have been in contact with at that price....and probably the 8.5 copy, even though the figure seems too low for what the owner would settle for. Unless it was our own Action1's 6.5 ? What other copy culd it have been... assuming its a true story/rumor?? ANybody got a line on which dealer was brokering a sale to Singer?? Metro's has got to be at the top of the list.

Fair enough tth2, I think I probably haven't communicated my thoughts effectively. I was trying to provide an opinion other than the fawning that everyone else seemed to be doing. It may be one of those cases when the act of arguing overtook the subject. flowerred.gif

Let's go yell at someone else together. thumbsup2.gif

One of them stated that Bryan Singer seriously contemplated buying an Action 1 for $600K when he got the gig as director

Maybe he got frustrated because he couldnt buy one or find one for 600k and settled for this 4.0 copy at 1/3 the price.

One of them stated that Bryan Singer seriously contemplated buying an Action 1 for $600K when he got the gig as director

Maybe he got frustrated because he couldnt buy one or find one for 600k and settled for this 4.0 copy at 1/3 the price.

Were you contacted about the availability of your copy?

Let's go yell at someone else together. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gifflowerred.gif

Where's Adam when we need him? poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

hi.gif

sumo.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

But do you know who this guy will be pizzed at when he tries to sell it down the line?

He may be mad at Mark, but so what? His anger will be misdirected, as it should be towards himself. But America has adopted a culture of never being accountable for one's own actions, which you seem to be surprisingly endorsing. confused-smiley-013.gif

Go back and read my posts without the hyper-defensive glasses. Mark is always harping on the "network of disclosure" and "ethics of revealing pressing", but has no problem fleecing some sap for $200 large? If I were photoshop savvy I'd send him a "network of fleecing" logo for his website.

You clearly have had a bad day or something and feel the need to somehow better yourself or life by attacking me. Your comments are insulting and patronizing and merit no response. I'll place my actions against your attitude any day.

But thanks so much for your substantive contributions to this thread.

yeahok.gif

so IS 200K a good price for a 4.0 unrestored Action #1 ??

How much of his 200K coul dhe recoup tomorrow if he put it on sale? Thats a good test of its "true retail value".

My first reaction is no, he paid way too much considering how other high grade GA keys have fared lately. Hard to think that the seller wouldn't be happy if the buyer said $150,000 and that's it.

There are people out there that could afford to buy each and every Action 1 on the market at any given time. So what's a good price.....I guess whatever you can sell it for at the time. Were there other VG unrestored or better copies available for fractions of $200,000 when the buyer purchased this book? That would be an obvious sign of a bad purchase, if a better copy was readily available at the same time for a fraction of the price.

I'm not aware of any other unrestored (and particularly nice looking) copy publicly available right now. Not saying that one can't be found, but part of the reason for the purchase was the infrequent availability and unknown likelihood as to when another nice looking copy would surface for sale.

But do you know who this guy will be pizzed at when he tries to sell it down the line?

He may be mad at Mark, but so what? His anger will be misdirected, as it should be towards himself. But America has adopted a culture of never being accountable for one's own actions, which you seem to be surprisingly endorsing. confused-smiley-013.gif

You clearly have had a bad day or something and feel the need to somehow better yourself or life by attacking me. Your comments are insulting and patronizing and merit no response. I'll place my actions against your attitude any day.

yeahok.gif

So anyone who doesn't pat you on the back is now insulting and patronizing? Hey, the emperor has no clothes.

I kinda laugh when Mark said he showed the price increases in Action #1 in Overstreet as some kind of proof of performance when we all know guide has little bearing on reality.

I didn't offer the guide value as proof of performance, but for what it is intended to be - a guide. The value of the guide prices was to review the perception of the increase in price from year to year (particularly percentage wise), and in particular to compare the known realized sales for a particular year with the guide value for that year. That allowed an ability to gauge market price to guide price and get a sense of what the range for the price could be.

yeahok.gif

So anyone who doesn't pat you on the back is now insulting and patronizing? Hey, the emperor has no clothes.

If you think I really give a rat's rear for someone to pat me on the back over the sale of a comic book, you really don't know anything about me at all. And the fact that you didn't go "ooooo" or "ahhhhh" over the book or the sale has nothing to do with my comments about your bad attitude and immature conduct. Perhaps the fact that you can't see that explains a lot actually.

What bothered me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Perhaps it was the comments intimating I was unethical, acting contrary to my stated principles, ripped someone off - little things like that.

Instead of simplying indicating that in your opinion you would not have spent that much money on this particular book and engage in a legitimate substantive debate as to the value of the book, you instead felt the need to go out of your way to imply or indicate I did something wrong, that its my fault and all I am doing is trying to dig my way out of this hole I have created where the buyer will be "pizzed" at me. And the best substantive argument you could muster was that the transaction was "stupid".

Do you read what you write? Your comments are indicative of a General Section dialogue, not one here in the Golden Age community where usually adults like to discuss substance.

but what Mark is doing is like Pilate trying to wash his hands with jargon and legalistic motions (all I did was set the crack-pipe and lighter in the addict's hands - it wasn't my fault he smoked it!).

Well, if I were Mark I would never have felt compelled to justify anything to anyone about this sale in the first place. Absent fraud or extortion, the story is he had a book, a guy with lots of money wanted to buy it and did so, full stop. Sounds good to me. Comparing him to Pontius Pilate is really going over the top.

I appreciate the support Tim. The problem is it is in my nature to try and share information with people. That is the type of law I practice. It is how I generally run my comic business. It was a dream to finally hold an Action #1 and to participate in the sale of the book. I don't engage in buying and selling comics for the money. I could care less. I do it for the fun.

Usually discussions of this nature are enjoyable until you get people like buttman attacking you for no reason whatsoever except for the fact that he doesn't agree with the transaction. It is people like him who are taking the fun out of this hobby, and one wonders why few "dealers" post on these boards. Who wants to be personally attacked for no reason. 893naughty-thumb.gif

does this guy have a large collection? or say, less than 2 books? : )

The collector is a big Superman fan, and has been for years. He is more of a big collector of non-comic items but he has recently turned to comics. He is a very focused collector at this stage. He knows what he likes/wants, and what he doesn't.

Were you contacted about the availability of your copy?

Yes I was.

Should've asked for $700K. poke2.gif

Peter, you gotta start using the "quote" button. It is so hard to figure out what is the previous post and what is your reply. It'll also save you the trouble of copying and pasting the text from the previous post.

yeahok.gif

If you think I really give a rat's rear for someone to pat me on the back over the sale of a comic book, you really don't know anything about me at all. And the fact that you didn't go "ooooo" or "ahhhhh" over the book or the sale has nothing to do with my comments about your bad attitude and immature conduct. Perhaps the fact that you can't see that explains a lot actually.

What bothered me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Perhaps it was the comments intimating I was unethical, acting contrary to my stated principles, ripped someone off - little things like that.

Instead of simplying indicating that in your opinion you would not have spent that much money on this particular book and engage in a legitimate substantive debate as to the value of the book, you instead felt the need to go out of your way to imply or indicate I did something wrong, that its my fault and all I am doing is trying to dig my way out of this hole I have created where the buyer will be "pizzed" at me. And the best substantive argument you could muster was that the transaction was "stupid".

Do you read what you write? Your comments are indicative of a General Section dialogue, not one here in the Golden Age community where usually adults like to discuss substance.

Oh, is that what they talk about over there? I can't seem to find it because THE WHOLE PLACE IS FLOODED WITH YOUR PRESSING POSTS.

I didn't ask what bothered you. I don't care what bothers you. All I'm stating is that you gouged a guy on price. If he's happy, then great. If you're happy, then great. But I'd suggest that you go back and read my posts to see what I was saying. The way you're trying to insult me personally (rather than attacking my argument) shows 1 of 2 things: 1) you don't argue well or 2) you have a high emotional investment. I'd suspect the latter, and that could be maybe that deep down you know you reamed this guy - and you feel guilty for it. But I said I'd stop, so I'll stop. But in conclusion - to reiterate my first post:

1) stupid price

2) My OPINION is that the buyer took it in the tailpipe on this deal

3) the book's not that pretty

flowerred.gif - peace in the middle east.