• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Action #1 Sale

357 posts in this topic

I'm sure it is. What I do not understand is how a restored 7.5 that was probably an unrestored 4.0 to begin with gets repaired and looses $150,000 in value. In what world does that make any sense?

I think the book was obviously restored quite a while back when Restoration used to increase a books value[good work]..It was that way many years ago if you remember.Than what happened is this book got stuck in a dramatically changed attitude towards restoration.

Nice looking book. Amazing to think that if I have 195K to blow on a copy of Action #1, the best I can do is a VG copy.

Im sure the above statement is referring to an unrestored copy.

I'm sure it is. What I do not understand is how a restored 7.5 that was probably an unrestored 4.0 to begin with gets repaired and looses $150,000 in value. In what world does that make any sense? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the world of comic books frown.gif

I`m glad it`s this way. That way, there`s no financial incentive for someone to take a perfectly serviceable 4.0 Action #1 and artificially improve it to make it look like a 7.5. Unless there`s mold or rust that`s about to eat the book alive, just leave the damn books alone!

Unless there`s mold or rust that`s about to eat the book alive, just leave the damn books alone!

but in comic books, even in the above cases work would GUT a book's value. Hence the slow death of the highest graded Action #1 893applaud-thumb.gif

Unless there`s mold or rust that`s about to eat the book alive, just leave the damn books alone!

but in comic books, even in the above cases work would GUT a book's value. Hence the slow death of the highest graded Action #1 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have no problem with a distinction being made between restoration and certain types of conservation when it comes to valuing a book. I don`t imagine removing the rust from the staple would improve the grade of the 8.5 copy, so any such work would not be done for the purpose of improving its appearance, whereas in West`s example there must have been restoration intended to improve the appearance of the book since it went from some grade below 7.5 to a 7.5.

Now, you may say regardless of what I think, the comic book market currently doesn`t work that way in real life. Fair enough, in which case I can only say that sacrificing one Action #1 (which is not exactly a rare book, nor the real best copy) to a "slow" death of natural causes is a fair exchange for disincentivizing others from messing with other copies.

It gets a tad more outrageous when you consider that in the past two years or so a 3.5 and a 3.0 blue label each sold for under 50k in Heritage.

Correction: The two Actions were 2.5 and 3.0, and the 3.0 sold for 58k.

Take a look at those books. They look loke total 893censored-thumb.gif compared to this one. All unrestored Action 1s in Heritage archives except 5.5 copy seem overgraded.

(which is not exactly a rare book, nor the real best copy)

And it's still likely one of the five to seven most valuable individual books in the hobby. So I'm not sure how far you can discount it before running into the plain fact of its value which by itself puts it into very rare company indeed. confused-smiley-013.gif

But, really... whatever. I believe the comics hobby has an unrealistic aversion to restoration. You (and many other people) believe something else (which I won't dare to categorize). With the visceral reaction many people on these boards show towards restoration, I know I'm fighting a losing (lost?) battle. Still I like to mention it on occasion thumbsup2.gif

I have often stated that restoration is the enhancement of the aesthetics of a book while conservation is the enhancement of structural integrity. I think that leaves leeway to the type of work done. You can actually press a with intent of enhancing it's structural integrity. See Buck's Superman 10. I believe you can trim to prevent further tearing due to overhang and this would be conservation but work done on a book purely to enhance its appearance should be restoration. Pressing to remove wrinkles and trimming to make the corners sharp. These are the types of things that drive a collector nuts.

looks like the ne plus ultra example of "buy the book, not the label[/i]. congrats to the buyer, Mark and Bechara on that one

Yeah, except here the guy was paying a price well above the label. Unfortunately, if he ever needs to sell it, most potential buyers will say "Sure, it's a great looking book (except for the tear under Superman's cape), but if the label says it's a 4.0, then it's a 4.0 and I'm only going to pay a 4.0 price."

understood, but the person who bought the book might have felt the colour and overall structural integrity of the book made it present so much better than a 4.0, even though the various flaws bring it down to that grade.

and maybe he's hoping this might be the one book where the value is completely within the presentability of the book, and the grade is just thrown out the window, excepting the value of the resto check.

i suspect if CGC offered just an encapsulation service with resto check, this book would be one of the first in line for that particular offering

I have often stated that restoration is the enhancement of the aesthetics of a book while conservation is the enhancement of structural integrity. I think that leaves leeway to the type of work done. You can actually press a with intent of enhancing it's structural integrity. See Buck's Superman 10. I believe you can trim to prevent further tearing due to overhang and this would be conservation but work done on a book purely to enhance its appearance should be restoration. Pressing to remove wrinkles and trimming to make the corners sharp. These are the types of things that drive a collector nuts.

uh.

there are other ways to keep small tears from turning into larger ones that don't involve taking a piece of the book away. i think you would have an extremely hard time convincing anyone that trimming is conservation under any circumstance

understood, but the person who bought the book might have felt the colour and overall structural integrity of the book made it present so much better than a 4.0, even though the various flaws bring it down to that grade.

THis is exactly how I viewed the book.Agreed.

Perhaps. But it seems the most effective way to stop the problem. I don't do this. I have no books, to my knowledge, trimmed I can see in certain circumstances this is the case.

THis is exactly how I viewed the book.Agreed.

There is also market reality. These books don't come up for sale very often, and mostly in private sales. So long as the buyer doesn't mind holding onto to it for a period of time, they'll do fine, even if they paid top retail price.

There is also market reality. These books don't come up for sale very often, and mostly in private sales. So long as the buyer doesn't mind holding onto to it for a period of time, they'll do fine, even if they paid top retail price.

This statement has always been the basis for my financial sucsess in comics.

I have always bought unrestored keys.I have always held them for long periods of time.I have always overpaid intially.I have NEVER NOT made money.

Good point Mark

On an edge though? Would that leave its structure well enough, on an overhang, to not have the problem crop up? That's the point I am getting at. The overhang part is the vulnerability to its structure.

Overhang covers particularly are problematic because they carry with them storage issues. So a trim on the over hang edge but not the rest of the book would seem to me the most effective solution.

On an edge though? Would that leave its structure well enough, on an overhang, to not have the problem crop up? That's the point I am getting at. The overhang part is the vulnerability to its structure.

Overhang covers particularly are problematic because they carry with them storage issues. So a trim on the over hang edge but not the rest of the book would seem to me the most effective solution.

But trimming a book is under no one's definition "conservation" or "restoration" so the best option for fixing the problem is sealing the tear. Timming the book is just not an option.

boy, uh, no offense, but you really say some pretty goofy things sometimes.

trimming a book with overhang is by no one's definition "conservation" or "restoration." it's destruction. it's a book with overhang and there's nothing wrong with that. it's how it was made. it will never be a book with a high probablity chance of being an ultra HG book, that's just how it is. not every book can be HG.

i can't think of a single instance where trimming any part of a book would be considered either conservation or restoration. i think you really need to examine this line of thought you're trying to push here